Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games with simulated battles?  (Read 2610 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games with simulated battles?
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »

Looking for games where you customize the units/map/battle/etc. and watch it play out, meaning little to no control over the fight. Bonus points if it free!

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
Re: Games with simulated battles?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:20 pm »

Gratuitous Space Battles. Not free, but it's fairly cheap and it's pretty much exactly this. You customize your fleet and then you throw it at the other stuff.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:32 pm »

"Battleships forever" sandbox mode. the "allies" team are npc's and the enemy's are also npc's.
comes with a ship creator.
and its free.
download page
about page.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:43:30 pm »

Ogre Battle >_>

Well, the units/battle part of it, anyway.

There's also, like, all the tower defenses in the world ever.

Honestly, barring the TDs there's not nearly enough stuff along these lines. We need more ogre battle-style games ;_;
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:58:45 pm »

Well, I'm not sure it's exactly what you are looking for, but Dominions 3 has this kind of battles. You organize your armies, equip your heroes with magic items and magic gems, and give your orders before the battle. Once two armies meet, you can't do anything but hope that your commanders don't act like complete morons. But the rest of the game is a high fantasy 4X, so probably not what you're looking for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:59:44 pm »

I was going to say Dominions 3 as well. It's maybe a little less simulated than you're asking for, but you basically position people, give them so AI instructions and then the game figures out the rest.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:01:21 pm »

Maybe get Gratuitous Space Battles Demo. It has served me enough fun to last me until I can scrape up enough money for the full game.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

Conquest of Elysium has this as well.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »

Gratuitous space battles is indeed almost exactly what I am looking for. And Battleships forever is what sparked my desire for games like this in the first place.

Dominions 3 looks awesome, but is it really worth 30 dollars?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »

If it's your kinda' thing... probably. Pretty sure there's a demo for Dom3, so... check it out. And possibly the various threads down here on the game (including the ones in the let's play section, per'aps.). Lot of people thought it was worth the price at double that, for what that's worth.
Ask not!
Ask!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:36:17 pm »

Well the thing I am most concerned about, is how much content is in it? How large is the map, how many types of units, are there objectives, are there resources, racial traits, and how much of it is random?..... Maybe the wiki.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:28 pm »

There's a demo, you know.

EDIT: Didn't read that Frumple already said that...

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 02:40:25 pm »

There's a demo, you know.

I didn't think the demo would tell me everything I wanted. But the wiki sure did! I'm sold.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »

Iirc, the demo's time (well, turn) and maybe nation limited, but otherwise fairly comprehensive. Seriously give it a shot before considering buying -- as awesome as Dom 3 is, it's not for everyone and the micro-manage-y bits beyond the battles can get pretty time intensive.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:02:01 pm »

Gratuitous space battles is indeed almost exactly what I am looking for. And Battleships forever is what sparked my desire for games like this in the first place.

Dominions 3 looks awesome, but is it really worth 30 dollars?

If you like 4x games, then answer is abso-freaking-lotely. Content? How does 12+ nations with their own share of unique spells, summons and rules? How does over 30 different demigod templates to work from, or build your own? Tons and tons and tons of discoverable hidden resources, which are randomly spread across the map, ranging from giving your gem income, to being adventure areas for your heroes, to offering you unique neutral units?

The only two downsides I find with Dom 3 is: the graphics are quite archaic, part of which is charming, part of which makes the game space look like risk. And two: the end game does not scale well in terms of micromanagement.

Other than that, it's is perhaps one of the best fantasy stragtegy games I've played, in terms of mechanics and how awesome the flavor of everything is. Seriously, in most 4x/strategy games, I find maybe one or two races interesting or that I identify with and want to play. In Dom 3, almost every nation, across every era, sounds interesting and flavor and cool.

And besides. $30? It was $50 for practically the last 6 years. Dom 3 has always seemed over priced, even after playing the game itself and enjoying it. But I think in the end it's totally worth it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2