Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Earthscraper" ... Real world architects getting inspiration from DF?  (Read 899 times)

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2bPhLI/www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/earthscrapers-going-down-instead-greener-way-build.html/

Now they just need to fill these things with danger rooms, coinstars, magma and minecart cannons and we're good to go.   I'll see all of you in Bisbee.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile

I think it's probably the other way around. The concept of underground 'buildings' is quite old. At least back to the tombs of the Pharaohs in ancient Egypt, though there are likely other contemporary or older examples of which I am unaware.

Now, the concept of a skyscraper being turned underground, that is recent... but only because towers of any sort have only been very practical for general use since the invention of the elevator, about 150 years ago.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

heh, like building our own little Geofronts.  Nice.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Now, the concept of a skyscraper being turned underground, that is recent... but only because towers of any sort have only been very practical for general use since the invention of the elevator, about 150 years ago.
Plus people weren't very good at building constructions with very large distances away from the base until after the industrial revolution.