Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jailed mother can't reach baby, won't drink  (Read 515 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jailed mother can't reach baby, won't drink
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:19:14 am »

I have tons of dwarves set to bring water, but none will.  She's on a chain, with a wine barrel right on her tile, but she refuses to drink on her own.  I recall reading about a bug where moms of newborns will forget to drink and eat if they can't reach their baby.  Should I release her from jail and let her take a beating from the sheriff?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jailed mother can't reach baby, won't drink
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:26:01 am »

Depending on the length of the sentence, its could be a good idea.  Make sure the guard captain is indisposed for a while so she can reach the baby first so the baby can be used as a shield from the beating.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:10:50 am »

Thanks!  No baby shields for me, though ;).  I'm trying to get these babies to adulthood so they can have babies of their own someday!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:16:52 am »

a mom produces a baby once per year.  A child produces none for at least 12.  Just sayin.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:19:48 pm »

a mom produces a baby once per year.  A child produces none for at least 12.  Just sayin.

Such cold, dwarven math...I love it!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:45:12 pm »

I admit, I'm a carebear!

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:58 pm »

A beating is ALWAYS in order when stunties spam my announcements log.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:05:57 am »

since that usually means that something really happened, such as an ambush, or that you screwed something up, who do you beat?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:22:17 am »

personal preference for justice: all beatings, no jails, and beatings carried out by a weakling holding a feather wood crossbow

really, i strongly prefer to handle justice personally, via "accidents", at least until i find a way to make it so that "violation of production order" can be made to automatically target only nobles.
then i will change my captain of the guard to a superdwarf with an AXE

"no urist McMayor, we do not need or want more chairs, really, 47 spare chairs are enough, we have no place to put them.."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 09:21:52 am »

in my fort, prison sentences are more like vacations.  No jobs to do, personal pile of booze, nice surroundings.  The only issue is sometimes dwarfs who aren't in jail will eat at the table/chair set up for the prisoners instead of a dining room.
Thoughts on water

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:12:04 am »

personal preference for justice: all beatings, no jails, and beatings carried out by a weakling holding a feather wood crossbow

That was changed.  Sheriffs use their fists now.  Mine is always armed with a wooden crossbow, but he still punches people.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 03:11:22 pm »

I'm not aware exactly of the justice mechanics and how they may or may not have changed over time, but I do know that I just simply never assign a sheriff. Ever. Under any circumstances. Vampires are the only thing justice is even good for, and even then, combination burrows and mandatory vampire screenings for new migrants (aka leaving them out with the zombie horde for a few days and seeing if they get attacked or not) make it easy enough to keep vamps from killing anyone important, and arranging an accident for them if necessary.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread