Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: All Dwarves Bruised Everywhere  (Read 646 times)

OhGodSpidersNo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All Dwarves Bruised Everywhere
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

I'm getting this weird thing where ALL of my dwarves are bruised on every body part. What gives? Were they all somehow slightly injured everywhere separately? Was there some combat or cave in that I missed, or is this just a weird glitch? How should I go about dealing with it?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: All Dwarves Bruised Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:24:06 pm »

Sounds like a syndrome.  Your dwarves may have tracked the blood or secretions of a forgotten beast into your fortress.

OhGodSpidersNo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:07:56 am »

Wait, can that be the result of strange weather?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:09:28 am »

Strange weather can result in everything from full body bruising to your dwarves becoming bloodless husks hostile to all living creatures. Often, though, it just kills via immediate paralysis. If you're lucky, bruising is the worst that will happen.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

OhGodSpidersNo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:11:23 am »

No wonder! I just lost the whole fort due to starvation; guess when I go back I'll have to think of something to prevent them from getting caught in the "rain" again.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:07:59 am »

when they say "it's raining hard enough to bruise" they weren't kidding

it's one reason why in evil regions making some kind of shelter is important, you never know how the weather will turn out
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:09:31 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 06:44:44 am »

yep, i had one like that recently, embarked on an evil biome border, and every time i sent dwarves to gather glumprong or sliver barb, every single one i sent was covered head to toe in blisters

fairly mild evil there, much of evil weather is really dangerous, and leads to lots of deaths

i prefer evil border embarks, with just one or two tiles of evil, i have had way too many full evil embarks end instantly due to husk storms on day one before i even had a hole to order my dwarves to hide in

edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:41:35 am by enizer »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

I've got an embark right now where the only evil weather is "Revolting Slush", a red goo that the only VISIBLE effect I can see is that it makes them dizzy for a little while.

I don't know if there are secret invisible effects that I can't see, though, so I'm just keeping everyone out of the rain at all times. It rains normal water every few months or so, anyways, so it'll at least clear partially, giving me enough time to build a partial roof.

Of course, the ZOMBIE HORDE is the more pressing matter keeping everyone inside at all times, though. It got so bad I turned the popcap to zero until I can reclaim the surface. Still working on my traps of doom and despair.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:29:03 pm »

[doesntplaydfmuch]That weather sounds horrifying.[/doesntplaydfmuch]

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 04:10:36 pm »

Least it's just bruises.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 11:28:31 pm »

Bruised lungs seem to fatal, though. When I experienced massive contamination they died from it.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?