Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Do I Count Items Into Different Stockpiles  (Read 887 times)

Mr. Delta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How Do I Count Items Into Different Stockpiles
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:46 pm »

For a farming system that I am making, I need to split seeds into to stockpiles: one for drinks and one for meals. I have the system set up to produce brewable plants on one side and cookable plants on the other, but this is not sustainable because the cookable plants won't give me seeds back, and also because stockpiles can't send to other stockpiles in controllable amounts.

I need some way to divert a specific amount of seeds from the brewable plants into the cookable plants. I don't want the system to grow imbalanced over time so the ratio of the split needs to be kept at a constant value. Is there anyway to do this in a controllable manner in the unmodded game?

Thanks in advance.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
Re: How Do I Count Items Into Different Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:04 pm »

use  a set of small Input output piles link to your main piles set to gather from everywhere, these will be only one or two tiles of space and set to gather your seed separate. you will have to tweek it a little to get the flow right and liberally use the give\take commands.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Mr. Delta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »

I thought about doing that, but I was wondering if there wasn't some better way that I was overlooking. I'd hate to have to keep maintaining the thing constantly.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:13:31 pm »

I'd set up a large stockpile that feeds into a small "cookables" stockpile that gives to the kitchens, which then feeds into a "brewables" stockpile that gives to the stills. Since your brewables are the end of the line, that stockpile will always be full -- ensuring that you never run out of seeds; and the extra will be cooked off for meals. The large stockpile I mentioned first is just so you don't have plants withering or rotting because you left them out.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:33 pm »

Control the quantity using a designated seed pile adjacent to the normal food pile, and restrict bags and barrels from it. This limits the number of seeds that can be physically stored, then assign to take from the brewing pile.

Round about as a solution, but should do the trick.

(Say you want only 10 seeds in the pile. Seeds have a median average for the size of stack they make, so use that, and get the amount of no barrel, no bag tiles your stockpile needs to be. (My experience says the average is around 5 seeds per stack. (Though I admit not paying much attention) This means a stockpile with 2 tiles.)

The pile will not be an exact value, but will ballpark in the area you want it to be. 

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:35:29 am »

Control the quantity using a designated seed pile adjacent to the normal food pile, and restrict bags and barrels from it. This limits the number of seeds that can be physically stored, then assign to take from the brewing pile.

Round about as a solution, but should do the trick.

(Say you want only 10 seeds in the pile. Seeds have a median average for the size of stack they make, so use that, and get the amount of no barrel, no bag tiles your stockpile needs to be. (My experience says the average is around 5 seeds per stack. (Though I admit not paying much attention) This means a stockpile with 2 tiles.)

The pile will not be an exact value, but will ballpark in the area you want it to be.

Seeds don't stack, and you can't restrict bags from a stockpile directly. He'd have to make sure all his bags were held up elsewhere, possibly full of sand or something.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:21 am »

Splitting up the seeds strikes me as impractical - either, as Drazinononda said, you block all bags and need to assign one tile of stockpile for every single seed, or you end up with all seeds of a kind in a single bag (bags can hold dozens or hundreds of seeds) and not split at all.

Splitting up the actual plants should work better - a large 'harvest' pile as first stage, feeding into a brewery pile, with the overflow going to the kitchen. The piles would need to be quite large, because barrels could mess up the splitting. And you might need to make separate piles for each crop.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:06 am »

seeds go into farm plots (unless you're cooking with them for some reason), so I don't know why you would want a seed stockpile anywhere else except for near your farm plots.  Even if you have multiple stockpiles for seed collection, they're all going to the same place eventually, so I'm still baffled by the need to split.

Oh wait, ok I re-read your OP and I think I get it now.

Is it possible to increase the seed cap to 400 or 600 via the init file?  then you could have a bag of seeds at each location.  Barring that, I suggest always fertilizing the cookable plant plot, so you get more product per seed, which would reduce the need of hauling seeds from the other place.  The other option is to occasionally brew a stack of your cookable plants, generating up to 8 seeds.

The BEST option though, is to stop cooking plump helmets and strawberries, and instead grow wheat, mill to flour, get the seed, and cook that.

good luck.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

The BEST option though, is to stop cooking plump helmets and strawberries, and instead grow wheat, mill to flour, get the seed, and cook that.

There's also the option of brewing the plants, then cooking the beverages. But I'm not sure what is meant by "best" so I won't argue that this is better, but to note: plants mill at 1:1 for flour, but brew at 1:5.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »

There's also the option of brewing the plants, then cooking the beverages. But I'm not sure what is meant by "best" so I won't argue that this is better, but to note: plants mill at 1:1 for flour, but brew at 1:5.

Cooking beverages doesn't work very well - the cook needs something solid to cook the liquids with, but the cooks like to use up all the solid ingredients before cooking liquids - so you end up with just one meal containing liquids, right before you run out of solids.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »

Cooking beverages doesn't work very well - the cook needs something solid to cook the liquids with, but the cooks like to use up all the solid ingredients before cooking liquids - so you end up with just one meal containing liquids, right before you run out of solids.

Fortunately in this case, cooking prefers food in containers over food outside of containers, so Mr. Delta's bagless seed stockpiles would work very well for cooking beverages: just put a drinks stockpile near the kitchen and set give orders from the seeds and drinks piles into the kitchen. The dwarves should grab one seed to cook with and use beverages for the rest.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 05:26:13 am »

Powders and leaves outside of barrels work perfectly well for cooking liquids (booze, syrup, royal jelly), but confusingly seeds _don't_. Cooks absolutely prefer seeds over non-barrel and liquid foods. And no, the seeds weren't in barrels or pots when i noticed that, they were all stored in bags on no-barrel stockpiles.