Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How good is a cobaltite whip?  (Read 1977 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How good is a cobaltite whip?
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:22:35 pm »

A strange mood gave me that. How good is it?

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
Re: How good is a cobaltite whip?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »

It should be pretty good at smashing bones, but don't except it to act as a lightsaber.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

And then the whip wielder gets into a climactic duel with a goblin warmaster wielding a redstone whip.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »

Worse than a copper whip.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »

While dense for a stone at 6295, cobaltite isn't as dense as the metals used for weapons (7000-12000).  One of the properties increased for artifacts is the max edge value, but that doesn't do anything for whips which are counted as blunt weapons :(.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:48:54 pm by VerdantSF »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:34:01 pm »

still, whips are good right?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:41:40 pm »

Whips are called "lightsabers" for a reason, but as pointed out, cobaltite isn't as dense as most weapons grade metals, and the damage dealt by whips is blunt, not edge.

While it might work good on unarmored enemies, (like troglodites, or scampering kobold vermin), its low density makes it poor when used with armored foes.

I'd use it for fortress honor guards only.

For a quality whip that does lightsaber damage, use platinum, silver, etc. Avoid light materials like candyfloss or aluminum.

Usually, goblinite whips are steel, iron, or copper though.  You want denser metals, because they deal blunt type damage.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:34:43 am »

Are you guys forgetting artifact quality bonuses? sub-standard material aside it might well be perfectly usable. Capture some goblins, disarm them and chuck them into a pit with a champion with their armor still on. See how long they last.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:41:21 am »

Being an artifact will make it hit more frequently, so that might counter balance the reduced density.  Honestly though, I bet it will penetrate armor anyway.  Whips defeat armor by more than just a little bit.  I believe I had to reduce some numbers by two orders of magnitude in their RAWs to get armor to have any real effect.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:57 pm »

A quick arena test showed that bloodthorn whips are very deadly against unarmoured opponents, but they couldn't get through copper helmets. I didn't check whether it's one of the 'weaponisation' parameters or plain density that makes the difference. If it's primarily density, a cobaltite whip should be in the league of metal whips - at over 6, its density is close to those of metals.

Although parameters might be quite different anyway, since you must play some mod to get non-metal whips.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 02:08:32 pm »

Btw, what's the whip's name?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 02:57:54 pm »

Fleshpeeled the Insensitive Lightsabre of Masochism

Also: Artifact Weapon Trap in Dining Room Mega-Mood Booster

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

If it's primarily density, a cobaltite whip should be in the league of metal whips - at over 6, its density is close to those of metals.
Here's some density values to go off of:
Copper: 8930
Iron: 7850
Cobaltite: 6295
Normal stone: 2670
Normal wood: 500

So, just judging by density, cobaltite is going to be significantly worse than iron, by a factor of more than the difference between iron and copper. However, it rocks when compared to normal stone!

Density is the most important aspect of blunt weapons, but it isn't the only thing that affects it's usefulness:

Iron:
[IMPACT_YIELD:542500]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:1085000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:319]

Stone (Cobaltite just uses the generic stone template for these values):
[IMPACT_YIELD:120000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:120000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]

Cobaltite has very significantly worse yield and fracture. However, for strain_at_yield, lower is actually better, so cobaltite wins by quite a bit there, although I doubt that comes anywhere close to making up for the other two.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:09:17 am »

I haven't seen many whip related injuries, so my experience could be off.
I tested a *cobaltite* whip in the arena against some typically armored goblins. It always penetrated the armor, and seemed pretty effective to me. I only had 1 goblin survive a lashing to the head, somehow missed the skull (hitting only fat) while he was unconscious.