Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Sappho Experiments On Herself - And You! [Summer Vacation!]  (Read 39824 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Food Poisoning]
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 04:21:49 am »

OK it seems the lemon juice did finally help, just took a while. I actually managed to take a nap afterwards for a couple hours. I got an apple into me as well, though it hurt a bit after eating it.

I decided to come to work today. I'd say I'm at about 75% now. My stomach isn't expelling everything I put into it anymore, though it does still hurt. I managed a couple of slices of toast and a banana for breakfast. I'll stick with simple foods like this for a while longer. I'm still weak and moving slowly but there aren't many kids today so it should be alright. The other teachers agreed that I can stay inside today while the others go out with the kids in the rain, so I can rest a bit. There's pasta for lunch today with some kind of meat sauce - I'll just take plain pasta and eat as much as feels comfortable.

No real notes today either. I think I'll go lie down for a while. Stomach hurts, tired.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2013, 07:21:36 am »

Depending on where you live there should be a few options for food poisoning symptom management from your local pharmacy, at least to get you through the worst of the symptoms. In Australia there's Emetrol and Buscopan for relief of nausea and stomach cramps, respectively. Of course, if you're past the worst of it a good night's sleep should take care of the rest. Stay hydrated, avoid too much sugar and get some rest.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:42 am »

Being the boyfriend of one, can I advise you to see a dietitian?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 05:42:03 am »

Phew. Finally seem to be better. Although a cold virus seems to have gotten opportunistic while I was weak and decided to give me a proper sniffle and rough throat, it's nothing compared to the whole "poisoned by food" thing.

Jimmy: I'm sure I could have found something that might have helped, had I been able to get out of bed, get dressed, walk down the three flights of stairs to the front door, make the (normally) 5-minute walk (in that state probably more like 20 minutes) to the nearest pharmacy, hope it wasn't already closed for the day, and present my symptoms in a coherent enough way, in Czech, for the pharmacist to give me something that might have helped. I live alone and I could hardly walk. Even if I had called a friend to deliver me something, I would have had to walk down the stairs to let them in the building, and it was easier to just rest. Thanks for the thought though. : )

Siquo: The short answer is no, probably not. I mean, you are welcome to try, but the odds of you succeeding are pretty much right there next to the zero mark. I have many reasons for this which I'd be happy to share if you're interested, but anyway thanks for the suggestion, after the experiences I've had I'll just keep on experimenting on my own.

Greatorder: Dear lord, the day I purposely inflict myself with food poisoning is the day you may chuck my ass in a mental institution for life.

So I probably could have kept notes today but I forgot all my papers at home, so I'll leave it for now. I'll scan my last page of notes when I get home today (just realized I forgot to do that) and hopefully start that again tomorrow. Also, my plan to see a doctor tomorrow will probably also have to be held up a bit, as I've been invited to my taiji teacher's house for lunch and that's not something I'm about to pass up. That plus training will pretty much take up the whole day, and I'm not desperate enough to wait in the long weekend evening emergency room line just to see how my thyroid and b12 levels are.

In fact, as the physical experiments haven't been going too well so far, I think I'm going to change gears for a while and try a psychological one instead. It's about time for that anyway.

Yesterday after work, feeling weak and exhausted and slightly delerious, I suddenly felt a burst of almost religious inspiration to clean my apartment. I did all the dishes, cleaned the kitchen counter and cooktop, washed the trash can, and tidied up and vacuumed the whole living/sleeping room. All of these things were long overdue and I've been putting them off for ages, but somehow yesterday I was able to do what I haven't been able to do for months. Just fucking DO IT and enjoy the nice clean feeling.

My reasons for not being able to do it before are split. Half of it is the lack of time. I work all day, then usually have training, then it's generally dinner then bed, with maybe a bit of reading or video games in there to relax and unwind. But even on the days I do have time, I just can't bring myself to clean. I have a mental block around it, I guess. I've been fairly depressed and very stressed out for a long while now, and I suppose I allowed my environment to reflect my inner feeling: a big ugly mess badly in need of tidying. Add to that the fact that I was never given "chores" growing up (in fact my mother forbade me from most chores because she was convinced I would screw everything up) and I just never got into the habit of spending any time cleaning.

I'm not sure exactly what it was yesterday, but somehow all those cluttering thoughts and worries just took the day off and let me get through the day. It's how I got through work (actually it was an easier day than usual, no doubt in part due to my unwillingness to get upset about anything) and it carried on when I got home and let me clean the damned place up a bit.

Now that I'm feeling mostly better I can't expect that same kind of calm to carry me through the rest of my chores. However, I've though of a couple of possible things that might help. That sort of "religious" feeling was helpful. I'm not religious to any degree, in any way, but that doesn't mean I can't get that same sort of "inspired" or "sacred" feeling that all humans are programmed to feel. Ritualizing cleaning can make it easier. I already have a lot of rituals that get me through each day (this is especially common in people with AS). I stand in the same spot each day waiting for the metro and the bus, take my keys out of my pocket at the same point each day, always glance at the mailboxes when I come into the building even though I don't have a mailbox and I know there's nothing for me there. And of course when I get home every day I greet my cat in the same exact way, then scoop him up and let him give me a "kiss" on the nose before I do anything else.

There's no reason why making a cleaning ritual wouldn't work. If I performed the same tasks every day in the same way, it would grow so familiar I'd feel uncomfortable *not* cleaning. The only difficulty would be getting it started. For this, I have a second idea.

Another common trait for people with AS is to have imaginary friends. In my case it's a habit that started when I was very young and I never saw any reason to break it. I don't have fictional imaginary characters following me around all day, but rather a sort of database in my head of all the people I know. When I'm alone, I sort of open the file on one of these people and they are "there" with me having a conversation with me. I've gotten surprisingly good at this over the years and the practice conversations (and even advice given in the way I know these people would give it) has been a huge source of help in developing my social skills and overcoming certain fears. I do get caught talking to myself pretty regularly, but I've caught so-called "normal" people talking to themselves plenty of times too, and I doubt it's as uncommon or unusual a thing as people make it out to be.

There is this girl I know who I'm absolutely infatuated with. She's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, and an amazing person to boot. She's sort of everything I ever wished I could be, and maybe I hope I could be years from now, with enough work. The one key difference between us is that I'm a bit of a slob, and she's a neat freak.

I have had countless imaginary conversations with her because I just love talking to her. She's often "there" when I'm home alone. Using her imagined presence as a motivator, it should be easier to make myself clean up. She's told me that she's really uncomfortable around mess (I even wonder if she has some level of OCD, watching her put anti-bacterial gel on her hands constantly) and I know I would be mortified if she ever saw my apartment as it is now. If I imagine she's there, or on her way over, and I need to get the place nice enough that she's impressed (because I definitely want to impress her), I ought to be able to make myself Get Stuff Done.

So today will be the first try. I'll update details later, as I'm slightly late going back to work from my lunch break. Also one of my goals will be to update the first post today, as it is desperately needed. Wish me luck, guys!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2013, 10:44:03 am »

Good luck.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »

Thanks Morrigi. : ) I'm home now, just finished dinner. While cooking I managed to clean every tool and pan as I was finished with it, so there's nothing waiting to be washed except the rice pot which still has rice in it. Also, before doing anything, I ran the vacuum through the living room. I did a good job of vacuuming yesterday so I figure if I just do a quick job each day, and do a "good" job (moving furniture, etc.) maybe once a week, it should stay very nice in here. (I could probably do just a couple times a week, but the cat makes a big difference. You wouldn't believe what a mess a cat can make.)

Now I'm deciding between cleaning more of the kitchen or updating the first post of this thread (which will probably take a while). Things that need to be done in the kitchen are:
-clean the table
-organize all the recycling
-take the recycling out to the bins (3-4 minute walk from my apartment)
-sweep/vacuum the floor
-mop the floor
-clean out the fridge
-clean the oven
-reorganize the cabinets

I certainly don't expect to get all this done today. The thing that most needs doing is cleaning the floor, which is gross, but first I'll need to take care of the recycling as it is in the way. Also, I don't have a broom or a mop. I have a dustpan (it's a really tiny kitchen but still a bit too much area to cover with a dustpan) and the vacuum. I have a cloth to scrub the floor but I have to do it the old-fashioned way on my hands and knees with a bucket of soapy water. Also, I don't have a bucket. So I never quite seem to get the floor properly clean. I could buy these tools, but the kitchen is literally about 3 square meters. I wouldn't even have a place to *put* the tools when I'm not using them. But I'm tired of the floor looking gross so if I have to, I'll get down on my hands and knees, maybe use the trash can as a bucket, and scrub away. I want a clean start in there. I don't know if I'll get that far today, but I'll try. There's also a few things left to do in the living room - clean behind the bed and sofa, clean and organize the storage compartment in the sofa (really big job), and hang up some pictures given to me by the kids at school on my "pictures the kids at school gave me" wall.

I'd also like to do some taiji training today, or at least some conditioning. I haven't done anything since I got sick.

All that said, it's already 7:30 pm. I'll see how far I can get in the kitchen, update the first post of this thread, and then probably give myself a break and do some reading for a while. Putting myself in "amazing girl who is also a neat freak is on her way over for dinner, quick quick quick make it clean" mode.... and... GO.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:42 pm »

Another common trait for people with AS is to have imaginary friends. In my case it's a habit that started when I was very young and I never saw any reason to break it. I don't have fictional imaginary characters following me around all day, but rather a sort of database in my head of all the people I know. When I'm alone, I sort of open the file on one of these people and they are "there" with me having a conversation with me. I've gotten surprisingly good at this over the years and the practice conversations (and even advice given in the way I know these people would give it) has been a huge source of help in developing my social skills and overcoming certain fears. I do get caught talking to myself pretty regularly, but I've caught so-called "normal" people talking to themselves plenty of times too, and I doubt it's as uncommon or unusual a thing as people make it out to be.
Amazing. That may be quite common thing but one that is extremely rarely discussed. I am sure that at no point I would have been diagnosed with AS and yet what you described is almost exactly what I do. Complete with characteristic vocal features and attitudes. I am always acutely aware that it is a simulation inside my head based on incomplete and partially wrong information but sometimes it helps me to formulate my own thoughts more clearly, look at things from a different point of view or at least to estimate what other people may say. I think it is notable that after I stop contacts with somebody their "image" gradually fades away - if it would be self-reinforcing based on imaginary conversations alone - that would be way closer to mental disorders territory.

Also good luck with your health. I heard that keeping everything very clean in your house can somewhat help with allergies.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2013, 02:05:05 pm »

Are you going to try hookworms at some point? After all, the leading cause of allergies seems to be a distinct lack of hookworms. And they are easy enough to flush out of if they don't help.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2013, 03:04:25 pm »

Yes. By no means swallow a bucket full of them or even stick your hand in said bucket. Do not, I repeat, do NOT overdose on hookworms. You will have a bad day.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:21 pm »

Ah well, not as bad as Ebola. But I'm not sure anything is.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2013, 03:18:42 am »

Am I going to infect myself with a dangerous parasite because of a slight chance they might lessen my seasonal allergies?

No.

Yesterday my plans got derailed by "being social" and "having a nice time" so I count that as a victory even though my research has been further delayed. I went to training in the rain, had a nice time, went to my teacher's place for lunch which ended up including a bit of fine whiskey tasting and tea sampling (really lovely tea they bring back from Taiwan and China) and a lot of wonderful conversation and laughter. I got home fairly late and didn't get any cleaning done, and I hadn't taken my note paper with me so there are no notes from yesterday. I'll keep notes today.

I've decided to start taking the B12 again, just because I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to see a doctor, it could really help, it's certainly not going to hurt me, and it occurs to me that pretty much any other explanation of all these issues is not going to disappear within a short time. This means that if I notice a large improvement after taking the pills for a short while, it is almost certainly because of the pills. In that case I will keep taking them for a while longer, then I will suddenly stop, and see if anything changes. Meanwhile I will still plan to get my thyroid and B12 levels tested as soon as I'm able, because of course that is a much simpler way of addressing the situation than pure trial and error.

Today I will clean the kitchen floor (in fact I'll get started as soon as I finish writing this). Once that is done, I'll probably take a break from cleaning for a while and do something else, either drawing the comics I'm so far behind on or finally reorganizing this thread. My second project for the day will be cleaning behind the bed and sofa, because I suspect the accumulated dust back there is contributing quite significantly to my allergies. That would explain why when I wake up in the morning I'm so congested and itchy, much more so than when I'm walking around normally during the day. I hope I'll get to starting the bathroom as well, since that's still an utter mess - at least surface cleaning and tidying. I really need to sweep up the stray bits of cat litter in there and wipe down the sink which is all dusty. At some point during the day I will allow myself some time to read, and some time to play at least one level of Machinarium which I'm working my way through, so I don't feel overwhelmed with responsibilities and start getting lazy and slacking off.

Spoiler: Sunday 02.06.13 notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:31:13 pm by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Cleaning Habits]
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »

Looks like it's going to be difficult to get any sleep tonight. Some of you might have heard there is serious flooding in Prague due to neverending heavy rains. The government has declared a state of emergency and most of the center of the city is being evacuated. The metro lines are mostly closed as well due to flooding. Needless to say, school is canceled tomorrow.

Oh, except my little preschool. Because it's a private school and my boss is BATSHIT FUCKING CRAZY. Did I mention that I live on the opposite end of the city from the school? It normally takes me an hour to get to work, with two metro trains and a bus. No metro tomorrow, so I get to take a tram across the whole city and the bus from there, and *hope* that the roads on the way aren't closed because they're flooded out. I've been communicating to my boss all evening, at first just pointing out the situation and saying I'm not sure what it will be like getting to work in the morning, hoping she'll respond with "oh don't worry about it, we'll be normal sane human beings and close school for a day until the emergency has passed." Instead she tells me she'll get to work early to cover things until I can get there, and recommends I do some research online to figure out how to cross the flooded city first thing in the morning. She points out that the bus that takes me to work will have to end one stop before the one where I usually get off (end of the line), since the road is closed, so I'll have to walk from there. I subtly pointed out that all the other schools in the city are closed tomorrow, so please let me know if you decide to close ours as well. Sure, she says, I'll let you know if that happens. (It's not gonna happen.)

It's still raining.

It might take hours to get to work tomorrow, if it's even possible. I seriously doubt very many children will actually come to school, although most of them do live very close to the school so they might not have much trouble getting there in their cars. Oh, and I only work until 2 tomorrow. Then I get to trek BACK across the city to try to get home.

Did I mention it's still raining?

Statue:

Beer Garden:

Neighborhoods:

So, the relevance to my little experiments. My anxiety levels are very high now, not a good thing since I should have been asleep for hours by now if I want to be rested tomorrow. I might have to drug myself in some way to get to sleep. Any method I use will worsen my brain fog issues for tomorrow. In my stress I forgot to keep notes for several hours of late afternoon/evening so I'm missing some info. And tomorrow I was supposed to meet someone for an important notarization of a document I need for my visa renewal application and it looks like that probably won't be possible, so I don't know how I'm going to manage the visa application in time. Anxiety going up up up.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Sappho Experiments On Herself [Cleaning Habits + Flooded Prague]
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:51 pm »

1. That statue looks so relaxed.

2. We had flash flooding down here in the south of Australia too a few days ago, though not nearly as severe.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2013, 11:23:34 pm »

Prague floods quite easily. It's shaped like a big bowl with a river running through it. The last major flood was in 2002. Half the city was underwater and all the animals in the zoo drowned. This time they're moving all the animals out as quickly as possible, but it's tough to relocate elephants and tigers and such quickly. They've evacuated some parts of the city. Fortunately I live at the top edge of the bowl. I actually didn't know the flooding was happening until people started sending me pictures on Facebook, because everything looks perfectly fine up where I am. The problem will be getting through the center to get to work at the other edge. I hope the flooding will recede today. Rain is still forecasted for the next few days but hopefully not as heavy as it has been. At least we might get a reminder of what the sun looks like soon.

Here's the local forecast, if anyone's curious: http://pocasi.idnes.cz/
Here's an account of the 2002 flood. It was cuh-razy. The place names given are mostly districts in the city of Prague: http://www.livingprague.com/flood.htm

Spoiler: Monday 03.06.13 Notes (click to show/hide)

Flooding Update: It's only getting worse.
Top = Friday, Bottom = Today
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:58:04 pm by Sappho »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2013, 04:32:32 am »

Seems you need a boat to get to work. Would be awesome to show up like that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17