Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Good Morning, Brand New Player Here!  (Read 1871 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, Brand New Player Here!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:55 pm »

I used TinyPirate's tutorials and they set me up pretty well.
One thing that wasn't very clear to me at the start is that to "dig" means to carve out the earth horizontally, leaving a floor, while to "channel" means to dig out the level below, leaving no floor, which is what we humans would think of as digging a hole.  If your map has a hillside, you can dig your main entrance right into it with (d)esignate and (d)ig.  If your map is a flat plain, you might want to think about channeling a hole with (d)(h).  This will leave ramps at the edges of the hole.  Then change your view to the level below, and dig (d)(d) horizontally to make your fort entrance.

When it comes time that you want to farm above-ground plants, the easiest way to do this safely is to channel a hole (say, 3x3) from the surface.  Then build a floor over it with (b)(C)(f).  You can now build a farm plot on the underground soil layer which is technically "above ground" despite being perfectly secure.  This works because any tile that has ever been exposed to the sky remains "above ground" as far as the game is concerned.

I would also strongly suggest using Dwarf Therapist to manage your dwarves' labors.
Alternatively if you install DFhack (which I also recommend), it will put a limited dwarf-therapist-like interface right into the game (you hit "u" and then "l") which is better than nothing.

As for graphics, I'd start with the ASCII.  Later you might try Grim Fortress, which is a sort of "ASCII plus" and not a full-fledged tileset.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »

DF hack has smome bug fixes you might want to try

Kingpin232323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 04:37:03 pm »

Check out the tutorial from Zemalf on youtube.
I just got into df myself and found these vids a big help.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvqxe4XbcSiG9rKu8KB9Udeq_uQsBqPr5

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »

First off, wow! I didn't know what type of response to expect as some game forums are more friendly than others. Thanks for all of your quick and expansive responses:

<snip>

fricy: I saw TinyPirates tutorials haven't gotten a chance to look at them yet but I will. The way you wrote FUN makes it seem like the type of fun where when I come back to let you know how it is going you're going to laugh at me ;)
Generally speaking, this is a very friendly forum, despite the subject matters like Dwarven "Child Care", where we discuss how to best create super soldiers by subjecting them to years of abuse as children.

Also, "FUN" is generally used in this forum as meaning something dangerous that could very likely end your fort -- it comes from the "Losing is FUN!" motto.  The floodgate I used to hold back the magma was not made of a magma-safe material, so it resulted in plenty of FUN.  The more mundane use of the word "fun" is usually written in lower-case.

Oh, and welcome!  :D
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 05:53:09 pm »

Don't try to be perfect at first.  Simply explore the world and play with the mechanics.  The game is quite complex and in some ways just as unhelpful as classic games, so some experience is necessary.  Take things as they come, and dwarves dies quite easily.

After a few forts, lasting between 3-7 seasons, you should have good feel for the basic industries.  You'll also have some clue as to your playing style.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:15 pm »

Generally speaking, this is a very friendly forum, despite the subject matters like
Also, "FUN" is generally used in this forum as meaning something dangerous that could very likely end your fort -- it comes from the "Losing is FUN!" motto.  The floodgate I used to hold back the magma was not made of a magma-safe material, so it resulted in plenty of FUN.  The more mundane use of the word "fun" is usually written in lower-case.
Note: "!!fun!!" (literally "fun on fire") is a synonym for FUN.

Similarly, "!!science!!" (especially "!!SCIENCE!!") doesn't so much refer to literal science on fire (and hardly ever science of fire) as to so-called Dwarven Science, which usually refers to either attempts to figure out the details of the game's mechanics or attempts to develop applications of cruelty.

- To be happy, a dwarf needs: a bedroom, alcohol, food and a dining room. Everything else can come after.
Alcohol comes before food. Food comes before bedrooms and dining rooms. In fact lots of things come before bedrooms and dining rooms, but some nobles want bedrooms and will eventually pitch a fit if they don't get them (or don't get them good enough; and regular dwarves' moods will occassionally be the better for having a real bedroom somewhere that's not near active mining or construction), and a dining room of sufficient quality or with the right decorations (gem windows, high quality statues, or best of all a "mist generator" -- you can wiki that, but beware flooding your fort... it's !!fun!!) can be a good mood booster for the whole fort if you wait a little before breaking up a party. Rooms, by the way, are created via the (q) menu applied to certain pieces of furniture (which are actually "buildings", more on that below).

This, incidentally, brings me to another point: learn the ways to boost your dwarves' moods, as it can mean the difference between death by your enemies and death by your disgruntled citizens denizens.

Finally, a note on a topic I haven't noticed highlighted yet (at least, skimming...): there is a distinction between making a chair (or door or other piece of furniture) and "building" the same object. "Building" refers to placing it in a location for use, whereas they are typically made at a workshop (which workshop depends what you're making it out of; note that beds, outside of Strange Moods, can only be made of wood... used to be nobles could demand otherwise, and this resulted in the deaths of many nobles) so that you have some to "build" in the first place. Also distinct are "constructions", which are truly indestructible and distinct from buildings (beyond the indestructibility) in that they are essentially artificial terrain.

Another topic, touched on above: if a dwarf gets in a Strange Mood (I think they're Fell, Fey, Macabre, Secretive, Possessed and I might be forgetting one, but if you don't mind having it spoiled you can always check the wiki), give him whatever he asks for. The resulting artifact (an object of any type but of random material and absurd value) may or may not be worth it, but the consequence of failure is at least one dead dwarf (namely the one with the mood, who will go insane in some manner if he is unable to complete whatever he is trying to make -- and between the chance of the insanity being the violent Berserk and the mood impact on the other dwarves, that's a larger danger than it at first seems). As a bonus, moods other than Possessed will result in the dwarf becoming legendary skill in whatever skill is most closely relevant to the making of the artifact.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »

As far as mods go I HIGHLY recommend Dwarf Therapist, along with DF Hack. Dwarf Therapist is a time saver and a god send for me, while I had trouble figuring out how to use the interface.
Also, if you desire to do any true FUN (such as Giant Beasts being brought by migrant waves), learn how to edit Tags.
If you want to find areas you can't find with the normal selection, get Legends Viewer (say you want to embark on a Kobold Cave, just for the hell of it). It is a good help for identifying where what is.
I personally don't use visualizers, I currently use a texture pack for my own ease (the ASCII was hard to grasp, and I really wanted to get into it)

In general the forum is populated by deranged, godless (other than Armok and a randomly generated god(dess) of who gives a shit), morale lacking, bacon tree farming, cruel, inhumane, deranged (needs to be said twice), nurturing, livestock dropping from 12 stories up people, who welcome you with open arms
As long as you are not an elf
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22:34 pm »

It is my opinion that you will not find a more open, welcoming, fun and FUN loving community anywhere else on the internet. The forums here are chock full of hilarious stories, anecdotes, tutorials, help, SCIENCE, and all sorts of personal experiences that we all share together.

So let me as well welcome you to Dwarf Fortress! We hope you stick around, have fun, have FUN (and tell us about it so we can laugh uproariously at work and creep our coworkers out!), and enjoy yourself. DF players are a special breed, we're all insane in our own ways and we wouldn't have it any other way :p

Welcome!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 09:50:43 pm »

I've been playing on and off for months, so I'm still a newbie.  The tips have been already said, also whenever embarking choose "Prepare for embark carefully".  That way you have control over your start-up and it really gives you an advantage over default embark.

Bay12 community is a wonderful, friendly, insane special group that give you quick responses regarding DF.  May be off-topic, but this group also has other sub-topics no regarding DF, just letting you know.  Have !!FUN!!, and don't be afraid to ask questions to clarify things from the wiki etc. 

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »

Learn to love ASCII. If you can recognize ASCII for what it represents, then you can watch any letsplay on DF, no matter what graphics-set it's using.

As for outside programs: I don't care how many times it's been said already, the more affirmation the better; Dwarf Therapist and DFHack. They are indispensable.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 01:23:56 am »

... and if you hear about a special magic sword buried deep underground, aim to get it as quickly as possible.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:41 am »

Welcome! I recommend starting with a graphics pack and then switching to ASCII once you know what things ought to be and where they ought to be. Dwarf fortress can have a staggering number of items and graphic packs make it a little easier to distinguish between barrels and battleaxes.

Once you know the game better you won't have any trouble distinguishing and can dive into the stark aesthetics of ASCII, which is far preferable.

Enjoy the terrible learning curve. Once you know how to play the game surviving will be trivial and you will spend most of your time stirring up trouble for yourself to fix (by say digging down, exploring caverns etc etc). Before than you will have all your fun disasters: my first two forts died from:

A. an attempt to execute a goblin lasher by releasing it from a cage in the middle of the barracks. I didn't take away his armor or whip. He killed everyone

B. opening the caverns and forgetting about it. Terrible things came up and a plague started.

Have fun! Watch your fort die horrible flaming deaths!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 03:24:20 am »

My first few fortresses suffered several miasma events, caused by rotting food or dead animals or cluttered kitchens and butcher/tanner shops - there are numerous possibilities to cause miasma.
Miasma my lead to very unhappy dwarfs if they were already not very happy because of lacking food or drinks or whatever, which may result in tantrums.

So my advise is: always make a refuse stockpile outside right from the start and have an eye on your food shops. Also keep in mind that some animals are grazers and require a pasture with grass or moss. Always check for newly arrived animals with the migrations waves. Also, pay attention to flashing arrows and such on your dwarfs and animals, they may indicate all sorts of things:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Status_icon

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 04:21:12 am »

Welcome to this little place north of sanity and decency.

Breeding kitten for food, mermaid for bonecrafts or fearing the deadly carp will soon become a second nature for you.

Seems like almost everything have been said already, i'll just correct something...

And clay? What? Seriously? A REAL dwarf lives in stone. :P

What? how can you say that?

A real dwarf lives in...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You whippersnappers forgetting all the great dwarven traditions.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 08:40:06 am »

On the topic of farming, I don't bother with above ground crops. Your embark should usually have some seeds/spawn for underground crops, and setting up an underground farm is much easier than most older tutorials suggest. You can muddy rock by adding water, but most of the time I just dig out farms 1 z level below the surface, which should be soil or clay. If you dig into it rather than channel into it then your farms aren't exposed. That will probably make more sense as you start to play.

Booze production is probably the most important thing for dwarves. I've had dwarves die of dehydration because they refused to drink water, even had dwarves die of dehydration because they were sick of 1 type of booze, refused to drink it, got sick of water and refused to drink that. And if you produce plump helmets you may never run out (why they take over my entire food production I don't know). And as far a s booze production goes, make rock pots from a craftsdwarf workshop. The booze needs to be stored in a barrel (or pot).

A large dining room goes a long way. I never even bother making a small one, I just spend a little more time making a big one.

Make all main hallways 2-3 tiles wide, or plan to expand them later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3