Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The future of the rogue-game...  (Read 2248 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the rogue-game...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 12:49:25 pm »

Rogues definitely aren't dead, and even new weird enjoyable things pop up now and then.  Sometimes projects fail.

Anyway... until next time on Rogue News! Where scandal is permanent, the news stories are randomized, and the empty husks of failed reporters leave bones files and come back to torment you later!

So what you're saying is, we need a roguelike where you are haunted by ghosts and husks of failed roguelikes.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »

So what you're saying is, we need a roguelike where you are haunted by ghosts and husks of failed roguelikes.

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=WebRaid + http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=List_of_Angband_variants

(I kid, I kid. I could've sworn the *band variants list was three times as long as few years back though. Maybe I just had a smaller monitor.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:24:21 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 02:19:59 pm »

Roguelikes are great, but they don't appeal to mainstream/casual communities (who pretty much value graphics over gameplay and aesthetics).

I heard a great quote, which while originally was about DF, can be said about the genre as a whole.

You don't choose to play roguelikes - the roguelikes choose the ones that are ready to play them.

Or something along those lines, I suck with remembering that kind of things.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »

Plus, DF has really split into two games at this point. Adventure mode is definitely a rogue-like, just with an absurd amount of detail and systems. Fort mode is an RTS game with the same. Being absurdly detailed and feature rich doesn't necessarily mean either mode has reached its own genre. They're both stand on the shoulders of games that came before them.
I'd probably put DF Fortress mode into the "Simulation game" category alongside Sim City and the Sims before I put it in the RTS category.

And I agree with the others in this thread. Rougelikes aren't going to die any time soon, probably because they are some of the simplest games to make, so people are going to keep making them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:30 pm »

Hah, reminded me of some guy over at TIGsource:

"You see asperands, lowercase d’s, forward slashes…all I see anymore is heroes, wolves, and swords."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:32:05 pm »

What is keeping roguelikes on the down low is mostly because of the competition.

If there was a perfection to the Nethack style it has been thoroughly examined.

Then the popularity of others keeps those similar down.

The reason why Roguelike has been mostly tacked on is because there was never an official definition. Thus people have been taking the best parts of roguelikes (Their focus on generation) and putting it into other genres.

Why does it still make it a roguelike to these people? Because it works for any genre of game.

Though Roguelike isn't a genre of game it is a sub of a sub genre.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »

(lots of good examples)

And then there's all of the things over at Rogue Basin.  Yeah, roguelikes are doin' just fine.  :)
Yea i was going to use this as a perfect example of a not dead genre, its not going away.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 02:49:19 pm »

Roguelikes are great, but they don't appeal to mainstream/casual communities (who pretty much value graphics over gameplay and aesthetics).

Spoiler: Friendly rant (click to show/hide)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 04:00:11 pm »

Cataclysm no roguelike cuz no traverse teh dungoon and is no keel gobloid.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 04:20:11 pm »

Cataclysm no roguelike cuz no traverse teh dungoon and is no keel gobloid.

> caves
> laboratiries
> manhacks
> zombie children

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:13 pm »

Eventually, someone will make the perfect roguelike(like?) ripoff of Legend of Zelda, and I will have no further reason to continue living. No, Binding of Isaac was not it.
Pages: 1 [2]