Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19548 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #360 on: May 26, 2013, 06:03:52 pm »

Most "Male rights" go under the name of egalitarianism which is "The rights of everyone"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »

._.

Feminism--modern, third-wave feminism--is egalitarianism with a particular focus on the experiences of women.  I am a bit dismayed by the large number of folks in this thread who seem to think feminism is about demonstrating that women are ~better~.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 26, 2013, 06:13:43 pm »

I'm wondering if there's some kind of college experience here that no one's mentioned? Why the negativity? It seems like it's more then angry internet women.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #363 on: May 26, 2013, 06:16:18 pm »

Feminism--modern, third-wave feminism--is egalitarianism with a particular focus on the experiences of women.  I am a bit dismayed by the large number of folks in this thread who seem to think feminism is about demonstrating that women are ~better~.
Where?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 26, 2013, 06:16:52 pm »

Where?
The group this is the called 'radicals'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 26, 2013, 06:23:58 pm »

Why all these references to feminazis, to feminists having disingenuous claims, to this trickery?

I mean, I'm not going to go through pulling quotes, but there's been a lot of . . . effort to note that there are feminists and Bad Feminists.  We all know this.  Why does it keep coming up?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #366 on: May 26, 2013, 06:25:27 pm »

Where?
The group this is the called 'radicals'.
But what was happen in this the thread?

I mean, I'm not going to go through pulling quotes, but there's been a lot of . . . effort to note that there are feminists and Bad Feminists.  We all know this.  Why does it keep coming up?
Because look at the thread title.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 26, 2013, 06:25:59 pm »

Because when you go round in circles you end up back in the same place you started a lot

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 26, 2013, 06:36:36 pm »

._.

It doesn't help that the very first feminist we experienced in this thread was a women trying to demonstrate why women are better because they are worse.

The difference however Vector is that feminism doesn't look at the issues that surround men unless it also surrounds women. Egalitarianism looks at both.

As well female perspective bias does skew the picture quite a bit "That is unfair to the woman" is the general opinion of feminist theories. Something that is unfair to both men AND women, will undoubting have the female being the one feminism takes the position of.

While true egalitarianism wouldn't necessarily take the woman's side or be influenced to.

The goal of feminism is egalitarianism but feminism isn't egalitarianism because of its very limited focus.

---

Also not all Third wave feminisms are egalitarian even in goal either. As I said before Feminism isn't a single unified theory but a diverse multitude of them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:41:43 pm by Neonivek »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 26, 2013, 06:37:13 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:46:03 pm by Ogdibus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #370 on: May 26, 2013, 06:39:26 pm »

The definition for Radical feminism is different from the meaning that is commonly associated with it.  It's best to look it up before discussing it.  I would try to explain, but I don't think that I would be able to do so accurately in a forum post.  Also, it will probably have to be repeated as soon as someone new joins the conversation.
If you had the definition all it would take is a quote [link] or [ctrl] [c] + [ctrl] [v]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:05 pm »

._.

If you want to know what someone who fights for male rights is, it will tend to be under the banner of Egalitarianism.

I have yet to hear of feminists saying "No we are not feminist, we are egalitarian" (mostly because the way I set this up... is odd)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:45:51 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 26, 2013, 07:00:02 pm »

They also call themselves male feminists, by the by.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 26, 2013, 07:01:05 pm »

If you are a male feminist that means you are male and a feminist. Which REALLY shouldn't be a oxymoron.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #374 on: May 26, 2013, 07:09:33 pm »

If you want to know what someone who fights for male rights is, it will tend to be under the banner of Egalitarianism.

I have yet to hear of feminists saying "No we are not feminist, we are egalitarian" (mostly because the way I set this up... is odd)
Technically, no. A male feminist focuses on women's issues, much in the same way an MRA would focus on men's issues.
An egalitarian would fight for both irregardless of gender.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30