Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19644 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2013, 06:54:56 pm »

English: A beautiful language, so full of miscommunication.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »

Like... I genuinely think that most people aren't all that stupid.  I don't think women expect men to be mind-readers.
I'm generally optimistic when it comes to people's intelligence, but on this particular point I am not. People (not just women; this isn't a gender specific thing) do assume others to be mind readers. They will whine and complain about a boring conversation they had with someone but never say to the person's face that they want to talk about something else. They will give fake smiles and courtesies and fume to themselves that the other person didn't realize they were upset.

Many, many people just plain aren't fucking honest to each other and get upset that others can't see through their lies. It's really grating at times.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2013, 06:57:51 pm »

True.  But women, in particular, are very strongly conditioned not to speak their mind and say anything that might make others think they are upset.  Like, obviously we have to overcome this programming.  But for a better world, we do need to permit and teach folks from a young age to set reasonable boundaries.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2013, 06:59:18 pm »

True.  But women, in particular, are very strongly conditioned not to speak their mind and say anything that might make others think they are upset.  Like, obviously we have to overcome this programming.  But for a better world, we do need to permit and teach folks from a young age to set reasonable boundaries.
I can support this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »

She says she changed her mind in the middle.  No one is talking about enjoyment.  I'm not exactly sure why you're making this argument.

she told me that she remembered the early stages when everything was going fine and dandy, and the later stages when she was unhappy, but did not recall the transition between the two.

So it is pretty clear she had sex that she didn't enjoy, but at no point has it been made clear she had sex she didn't consent to, and yet...

But Max, how does him not realising she was no longer consenting make it not-rape?

It is NOT RAPE because at no point was consent revoked to the best of our understanding.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2013, 07:00:51 pm »

True.  But women, in particular, are very strongly conditioned not to speak their mind and say anything that might make others think they are upset.  Like, obviously we have to overcome this programming.
Speaking from across the ocean, here the reverse is true.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2013, 07:03:23 pm »

True.  But women, in particular, are very strongly conditioned not to speak their mind and say anything that might make others think they are upset.

I just want to clarify, make sure I understand what you are saying.
Women, because of cultural conditioning, can no longer expected to speak openly, and instead depend on people reading their minds?

Is that what you mean to imply?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2013, 07:08:55 pm »

English: A beautiful language, so full of miscommunication.

What did you expect from poets?

You're right, kaijyuu. However, it cant be understated as to the effect other people outside the conversation being present (discounting the person themselves) effects what you will and wont do. Max White, I'd argue that he isn't a rapist, not that it isn't rape to agiven sense of the word.

True.  But women, in particular, are very strongly conditioned not to speak their mind and say anything that might make others think they are upset.  Like, obviously we have to overcome this programming.
Speaking from across the ocean, here the reverse is true.

If you're British, i call bullshit. Sure their are those that exploit it, but they're generally outliers, at least in the younger age groups.

True.  But women, in particular, are very strongly conditioned not to speak their mind and say anything that might make others think they are upset.

Women, because of cultural conditioning, can no longer expected to speak openly, and instead depend on people reading their minds?

It has limited relevance here, however given any number of things none of us know it's possible she may have been afraid to speak out, believing it was deliberate. We don't know, and don't get confrontational. It is true outside this context.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:28 pm »

Consent, once given, stands until it's revoked or the act is finished. If she wanted him to stop, she should've told him to stop.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:42 pm »

I think she's saying it's an exacerbating factor on top of general humanity's tendency to do so.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »

Consent, once given, stands until it's revoked or the act is finished. If she wanted him to stop, she should've told him to stop.
No you don't understand, she couldn't because The Patriarchytm! "No" means "No" but "Yes" also means "No" when I feel like it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2013, 07:17:58 pm »

If you're intimate enough with someone to have sex with them, you're intimate enough to express your wishes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »

No you don't understand, she couldn't because The Patriarchytm! "No" means "No" but "Yes" also means "No" when I feel like it.

See, this isn't an argument. Just saying "QFT" would have been more productive.

Please don't make a post like this again.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »

If you're intimate enough with someone to have sex with them, you're intimate enough to express your wishes.
Again nitpicking, but this is generally in a relationship, no? A drink-induced 'wham bam thank you ma'am isn't conducive to intimacy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2013, 07:36:50 pm »

I find the notion that you can rape someone without being aware of it rather absurd. If one does not consciously use physical force or threat thereof, and as such the other person is free to withdraw from participating anymore, how can that be rape?

Seems the definition as it stands is a problem, since it grants both parties a magical element Consentium, which may be withdrawn at any minute, turning a sexual act into a felony.

Perhaps the better bottom line would be a checklist of sorts:
- did both parties A and B start having sex willfully?
- did they remain willing throughout?
- if they didn't, did they have a possibility to stop participating?

*The wording is less than perfect, but it's pretty late here, and I can't think straight.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30