Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19612 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2013, 05:21:33 pm »

Yes so the discussion is

Is Systematic sexism towards males... Sexism?
Yes.

Why would you think that it isn't?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2013, 05:24:51 pm »

Yes so the discussion is

Is Systematic sexism towards males... Sexism?
Yes.

Why would you think that it isn't?

I know it is... but people have jumbled that issue up with a ton of crud to try to build up something that isn't there.

It is a simple issue at heart.

That Commercial is sexist because it is sexist. The advantage one has over the other doesn't negate it. The fact that it has less of an impact doesn't matter.

In terms of "systematic prejudice towards society is clearly unaffected by that commercial" and is thus unsexist I think the issue gail doesn't see is that the presence of that commercial is there BECAUSE there is a systematic prejudice (a sexism) towards males. If you were to say that it isn't sexist because it wasn't meant to be representative of males but rather of this one and comparing that one to a cave man... then sure there is something there but that certainly wasn't what she said.

It isn't a complex issue but people constantly are fighting this silly equality contest where the one most disadvantaged wins. Where "Men can't have disadvantages because otherwise women don't get points for the equality contest".
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:26:26 pm by Neonivek »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »

Sometimes I feel like we might be better off coming up with new words instead of using two identical words for different but related things. That's basically a recipe for misery in communication, and this is an area  where communication, clear communication, is of pretty vital importance.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2013, 05:27:23 pm »

Sometimes I feel like we might be better off coming up with new words instead of using two identical words for different but related things. That's basically a recipe for misery in communication, and this is an area  where communication, clear communication, is of pretty vital importance.

That would be why we have the "feminists' definition" for sexism.  Stereotyping and prejudice mean that there is something systemic behind it.  Otherwise it'd merely be "hey, I randomly don't like that dude Joe."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2013, 05:28:28 pm »

All I know is that I am a thousand times more caustic in a conversation when I am genuinely angry about something... then when I am just being negative.

This being one of the times I am genuinely upset.

That would be why we have the "feminists' definition" for sexism

Right but it still paints sexism towards males as sexism. It doesn't excuse anything, so I don't know why we bring it up as a way to justify what Gail is saying.

Gail wasn't bringing up definition B, Gail is just one of those people who honestly believes in "acceptable targets"

especially since sexism is both A and B. You don't take B without taking A.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:30:22 pm by Neonivek »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:41 pm »

If you decide to have a "feminist definition" for something, you've already fucked up your cause significantly by doing so.

And people are perfectly capable of having deeply personal stereotypes and prejudices, so... no, it doesn't mean that there is something systemic behind it... assuming you are implying there some system of which the individual is a part, rather than some personal system they USE. And assuming that you aren't using special feminist versions of stereotypes and prejudices.

And see, this is exactly the problem, here. Communicating poorly just means that even if you're right, you're wrong. Because people will respond to what they think you mean, rather than what you actually mean, because it's impossible to know what anyone actually means and that is the closest any of us can get.

And then you'll be arguing about something completely stupid and semantic and completely unrelated to anything of actual importance. See: The discussion with Neonivek.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:33:22 pm by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33:36 pm »

I don't know...

Would the commercial be less sexist if while they were putting it out they had a gender swapped one where it was a blonde on the couch watching a show called "Dumb blondes" where they were all going duhhhhhhhhh and she was going duhhhhh and then the man put on Smart TV?

And then you'll be arguing about something completely stupid and semantic and completely unrelated to anything of actual importance. See: The discussion with Neonivek.

Ok I've been insulted enough... I'll get serious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2013, 05:37:26 pm »

So let me start.

But it can’t be sexist. Just like a black person can’t be racist. Sexism is a word with a very specific meaning, which is a certain group having more access than another group to the things that make life worth living, such as high wages and good housing

There we go. Now here we see that sexism is being defined as an advantage over the other. In otherwords there is systematic sexism from males to females because males have a advantage.

The commercial isn't sexist because it doesn't alter this balance is the basic premise Gail is talking about. It can be offensive, but it cannot be sexist.

So lets play by Gail's rules. Something is only sexist if it is part of a systematic unbalance of "things that make life worth living"?

Well the first thing you have to ask yourself is what are the things that make "Life worth living" well as you can see "High wages" and "good housing" are included. So lets go to Immanuel Kants pyramid of life for a second.

These are: Physiological needs, Safety, Love and Belonging, Esteem, and Self Actualization.

These ARE the things that make life worth living period.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:40:58 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »

I don't really understand what you're trying to say Neon.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2013, 05:41:49 pm »

I don't really understand what you're trying to say Neon.

I am taking Gail's own words and revealing why the commercial is sexist by the rules being enforced. 'A' feminist definition of sexism.

Which as you know can ONLY exist if it is a gender based imposition of disproportion equality on the requirements of human life and flourishing. Which I provided using Immanuel Kant's pyramid.

The reason WHY I am doing this is because it is a stretching of the definition of sexism intentionally created so that it only applies to women. It clearly is and is plainly so, but let me deconstruct it using its own logic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:44:03 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2013, 05:42:16 pm »

If you decide to have a "feminist definition" for something, you've already fucked up your cause significantly by doing so.

Really? I just feel like it means your cause has created enough ideas to require its own vocabulary. That doesn't seem particularly fucked up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »

So, this is going to be the Feminism Thread now?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2013, 05:45:07 pm »

Which I provided using Immanuel Kant's pyramid.

Maslow.  You're, uh... looking for Maslow.

Apparently ::)

Novel, I'll try to answer some of your questions from the beginning in a while.  Haven't forgotten about them.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2013, 05:45:28 pm »

It is a sexism thread... but Feminism is an entire Pseudoscience/Science/philosophy based around sexism. So it is impossible to ignore.

---

Anyhow so all there needs to be in order for something to be sexist is in order for there to be an imbalance between males and females within a subset group.

In this case it is enforcing an imbalance between how males and females interact with each other (males who are in relationships with certain females), as well as being enforcing legal proceedings that benefit females over males (because males so stupid)

Certainly that commercial cannot affect the overall relationship between males and females, it certainly can give advantages and disadvantages in some of the areas that exists.

Thus the commercial is sexist.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:48:37 pm by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »

. . . Pseudoscience?  Really?

I'll thank you again for defining feminism for us.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30