Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19552 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2013, 03:03:26 am »

I'm not really sure why we need to discuss them at all?  I mean... have they been relevant?  You're the only one who has been bringing them up. . .
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04:59 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:43:58 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2013, 03:05:28 am »

I'm not really sure why we need to discuss them at all?  I mean... have they been relevant?  You're the only one who has been bringing them up. . .
Sexism thread. I think they are relevant.
Or do we still subscribe to the theory that hating men doesn't count?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2013, 03:10:21 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:44:09 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 26, 2013, 03:14:28 am »

We aren't discussing the MRA fuckwads, are we?

And second of all, there's a big difference between hating men because what you've suffered and hating men just because.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 26, 2013, 03:24:31 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:44:17 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 26, 2013, 03:27:00 am »

There is a large host of people calling themselves "MRA" that I would describe as just as morally reprehensible. Although that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a legitimate mens rights activist who doesn't hate women.

Also, there are those that hate men "Just because" and they shout out feminist slogans and any attempt to reason with their irrational hate is met with accusations of sexism, ironically enough. Well, you get accused of being sexist if you are a man, a woman gets told she has been brain washed by The Patriarchy and needs to open her mind.

I should clarify that.  I meant that the majority of people that hate men are probably not feminists.  They probably have other reasons.
I would say none of them are really feminists, but they call themselves that. I have a different word that I prefer to apply, but apparently it is taboo.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 26, 2013, 03:33:23 am »

Unless you've got evidence of feminists literally advocating rounding up men and sticking them in gas chambers, I'd recommend not using that word, yes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2013, 03:37:24 am »

Ooh, we aren't annoyed by the idea that there really are people calling themselves feminists that are just hateful asshats, we are annoyed by relating them to a significantly more extreme and violent ideal.
Well why didn't you say so? I thought you were just opposed to the idea that some "feminists" are going over a line.

Ok well family history taken into account I can understand that. Fine, but next time could we be clearer about if I'm treading on emotions or asserting an untruth?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 26, 2013, 04:21:57 am »

Now that's just sexist. What the hell is wrong with men speaking up against unequal treatment in child custody cases?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2013, 04:24:42 am »

I get the feeling Vector meant the MRA people that really are fuckwads, not that all MRA people are fuckwads.
And have no doubt, there are MRA fuckwads. And as this is the sexism thread, I don't see why we can't discuss them, or even the actions or legitimate Mens rights Activists for that matter, both are relevant to the topic.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 26, 2013, 04:27:23 am »

Well the way it was said it sounded like she's rolling all of them into the fuckwad pile.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 26, 2013, 04:30:17 am »

Now that's just sexist. What the hell is wrong with men speaking up against unequal treatment in child custody cases?

I have never found a self-identified MRA group that was anything but a thinly veiled hate group.  If some group exists that calls itself an MRA group and does not have those features, then I will gladly offer a retraction.

I realize that "men's rights' activists" is a title that sounds like it is a good thing, but the majority honestly seems to be fuckwads, and folks are distancing themselves from that particular terminology for that reason.

And have no doubt, there are MRA fuckwads. And as this is the sexism thread, I don't see why we can't discuss them.

Go right ahead.  But there's nothing of value to be gained in poisoning yourself.  Those folks' writings are... not pleasant.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 26, 2013, 04:31:06 am »

Well the way it was said it sounded like she's rolling all of them into the fuckwad pile.
Eh, I got the feel she was referring to specific fuckwaddery from the context, but that was just my impression. Perhaps I should be letting Vector speak for herself?
Nah, that would be polite.

Ninj'd. Well there you go.

If some group exists that calls itself an MRA group and does not have those features, then I will gladly offer a retraction.
MensLine Australia. While suicide rates are higher among men here, it was found they were receiving the least amount of mental help services. As such, Mens Help Line, later rebranded MensLine was established to provide support to men who could not find it otherwise and help fight stigma that seeking help for emotional problems in men is a sign of weakness. They save many lives each year and identify as a mens rights group.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 26, 2013, 04:36:56 am »

This is one from Einstein:

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

I've always wondered if Einstein actually said this or not it was just something attributed to him. He helped develop the atomic bomb and encouraged it be used, so it'd seem pretty hypocritical for him to say something like this. You could argue humanity would have been better off if Einstein only ever used his spinal cord as well.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30