Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19589 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2013, 10:34:30 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:43:19 pm by Ogdibus »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2013, 11:06:20 pm »

Really done.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2013, 01:32:42 am »

Note: I'm only speaking to, you know, white middle/upper-class cisgendered women, i.e. my group.  A lot of women experience different things and have different opinions.  But I'm not going to write white middle/upper-class cisgendered women every time, so please be advised when considering the following.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You might like this essay.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2013, 01:45:16 am »

I'm under the impression that there is a bit of a problem in the States with the perception that women just don't military, right? I mean really...
Quote from:  Hillary Clinton
Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat.
That is just insulting for all involved.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2013, 01:48:25 am »

I'm under the impression that there is a bit of a problem in the States with the perception that women just don't military, right? I mean really...
Quote from:  Hillary Clinton
Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat.
That is just insulting for all involved.

Yes.  And yeah, I agree.  The first part might be true (the whole rape and pillage thing is, uh, pretty serious, but I'm only going to stick to might), the second part seeming to lead from the first is... fucking terrible...

That's not a doctored quote, right?  I'm saying that only because sometimes things like that pop up and then we find out that they were written by Republican MRAs or something like that, and I don't want to change my opinions on Clinton based on something that turns out to be a fake shock-soundbite.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2013, 01:53:07 am »

Not to the point of being out of context.
Saws.

She was talking about how in war women loose their homes and get raped and suffer violence, but the implication was that they need a big strong man to protect them from any of this happening because all women are frail creatures and all men are either criminal scum or valiant protectors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2013, 02:12:35 am »

To be fair, that was 1998.  My hope is that her opinion would have grown up a bit since then.

But you know, individual solutions to societal problems don't work.  So saying "hey, every woman who faces culturally sanctioned rape should make like those famous female warriors! :D :D" is sort of... a bit short-sighted...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2013, 02:17:24 am »

Well yea, you need to work on a case by case basis. We can't expect all women to grab a gun and get shooting, just as we can't put that burden on all men.
Although it does raise the issue of "feminist" icons bringing come nutcase to the table. Madonna is even worse.
Straight men need to be emasculated. I'm sorry. They all need to be slapped around. Women have been kept down for too long. Every straight guy should have a man's tongue in his mouth at least once.

Shit you, I do not. Unbutchered from her book "Sex", and there are people that see her as promoting equity. So tired of this sort of bullshit that only serves as fodder for anti-feminist groups to set a good cause back.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2013, 02:25:18 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:43:30 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2013, 02:26:59 am »

Please do, I kind of love horrific quotes from idolized people. Especially when it isn't even out of context!

Nobody is perfect, but we like to act like they are. Shocking that part of the human mind makes my day.
EDIT: Eh, the 'Be violent if you feel it, bruh' one isn't that bad. I mean it isn't good, but I think what he wanted to say was that it isn't enough to simply hold off hurting people, you need to understand why you shouldn't hurt people.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2013, 02:40:53 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:43:40 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2013, 02:45:21 am »

In fact... there's a famous feminist who says that this is particularly necessary, and feminism should not be a monolith!  That would be Judith Butler.  The reason why she says this is because mainstream white feminism has a history of erasing the experiences of people who don't generally fit into the white, upperclass, etc. experience.  So we should cultivate those dissenting voices and think "huh, I wonder where that person is coming from?" first, before all of our kneejerk reactions cut in.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2013, 02:49:03 am »

Yea, especially within the feminist cause. Just look at all the controversy around the slut walks, including from other feminist groups. It is a shame that the more insane feminazis often get grouped in with honest humanitarian feminists.

Ninj'd: Well for the most part I agree, we want people to at all points actually analyse things individually rather than just saying "It calls itself feminist therefor I agree!", it is just important that people realize that it how it works rather than grouping a lot of different views together.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2013, 02:51:06 am »

Hey, remember what I said about the feminazi word?  How about we don't use it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2013, 02:52:48 am »

Do we have a preferred phrase for "crazy women who think all men should be punished" or should I just control+c that now for future reference?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30