Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42899 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2013, 11:11:25 pm »

I think I'll buy a WiiU just because Nintendo seems to be the only involved company not dedicated to being dicks (and Pikmin 3).

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
A small thing, comparatively. Plus, they'll probably realize they're throwing away far more in free advertizing of their products than they'd get from stamping third-party ads all over it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:47 pm »

I suppose I should have explained it a bit instead of just linking it.

Anyways, Nintendo is preventing anyone from earning money off of Let's Plays of Nintendo Games. If you upload a Let's Play of a Nintendo game, YouTube swoops in and steals any revenue you could earn off of it (Or adds commercials even if you weren't going to earn money off of it).

Don't expect the Let's Play community to be too happy with Nintendo unless they withdraw from their new position. Also, don't expect people to buy Nintendo games as a result of Let's Plays, since most people will stop making them, and many YouTube personalities have announced that they won't be touching them, one going so far as to not even upload a video he'd already finished editing of Lego City Undercover.

For added vitriol, Microsoft also does this. Yes, Nintendo is taking cues from Microsoft.

A small thing? Yes, but in the grand scheme of things, if Nintendo doesn't do a fast heel turn (And they won't do that any time soon), this is only going to bring them down sooner. Being successful in the game industry is all about being talked about, and Nintendo just effectively shut down one avenue of communication, and probably one of the most profitable (For them - It doesn't cost them a dime, unlike traditional advertising).

If Nintendo can be so ignorant as to how this Internet thing works, what other mistakes are they going to make?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:35 pm »

With everybody talking about the DRM (justifiably so, as it is pants-on-head retarded), I'm surprised that nobody (that I've seen in a quick skim) has talked about the ugly design. Seriously, it's like the ancient IBM ThinkPads my Journalism teacher is so fond of. A big ugly block of black plastic. And it's designed to lie flat instead of standing up, just so that it takes up as much space as possible.

I think I'll buy a WiiU just because Nintendo seems to be the only involved company not dedicated to being dicks (and Pikmin 3).
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
A small thing, comparatively. Plus, they'll probably realize they're throwing away far more in free advertizing of their products than they'd get from stamping third-party ads all over it.

Not to rehash an old argument, but for a while now Nintendo hasn't been making things easy for third-party developers. The only title I've really heard people speak high praise for is NintendoLand, and there's not all that many announced or current WiiU titles to get excited for IMO. Wind Waker HD especially left a funny taste in my mouth, since they showed such a strong change of direction in art style with Skyward Sword and their next console Zelda is going to be a remake (IMO, a remake of one of the weakest Zelda titles to boot).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2013, 11:34:31 pm »

Anyways, Nintendo is preventing anyone from earning money off of Let's Plays of Nintendo Games. If you upload a Let's Play of a Nintendo game, YouTube swoops in and steals any revenue you could earn off of it (Or adds commercials even if you weren't going to earn money off of it).

Don't expect the Let's Play community to be too happy with Nintendo unless they withdraw from their new position. Also, don't expect people to buy Nintendo games as a result of Let's Plays, since most people will stop making them, and many YouTube personalities have announced that they won't be touching them, one going so far as to not even upload a video he'd already finished editing of Lego City Undercover.

For added vitriol, Microsoft also does this. Yes, Nintendo is taking cues from Microsoft.

A small thing? Yes, but in the grand scheme of things, if Nintendo doesn't do a fast heel turn (And they won't do that any time soon), this is only going to bring them down sooner. Being successful in the game industry is all about being talked about, and Nintendo just effectively shut down one avenue of communication, and probably one of the most profitable (For them - It doesn't cost them a dime, unlike traditional advertising).

If Nintendo can be so ignorant as to how this Internet thing works, what other mistakes are they going to make?
Why... just WHY are they hell-bent on alienating everyone they can each time its possible... really...... Why cut the let's player like that? its not like they steal their sales or anything... How many time did i heard my subscribers saying they bought a game after watching my let's play? Are they really thinking its helping them to let playing buy games blindly? Its not like their marketing always shows pros and cons of their game or actual live gameplay....

Make me think, you watch a movie trailer, seems to be a real good action movie, trailer last 2 minute.... You go watch the movie and then realise in those 2 minute... you saw 90% of the said action....... final taste of the movie is a big wtf o.O.

Let's go full on hype and give them shallow stuff..... Is it REALLY the futur.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2013, 11:35:13 pm »

No man, I've got it. I heard about this story days ago. And as I said, Nintendo will probably withdraw when they realize how much they'll have damaged their portion of the the free advertizing that is Let's Plays for a pittance in ad revenue.
Not to rehash an old argument, but for a while now Nintendo hasn't been making things easy for third-party developers.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2013, 11:42:01 pm »

No man, I've got it. I heard about this story days ago. And as I said, Nintendo will probably withdraw when they realize how much they'll have damaged their portion of the the free advertizing that is Let's Plays for a pittance in ad revenue.
Not to rehash an old argument, but for a while now Nintendo hasn't been making things easy for third-party developers.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what you quoted.

I was just joining in on the discussion of Nintendo and the WiiU by quoting somebody else who was posting about the WiiU.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2013, 11:49:23 pm »

I think he was talking about your original post, MSH.

Not to rehash an old argument, but for a while now Nintendo hasn't been making things easy for third-party developers. The only title I've really heard people speak high praise for is NintendoLand, and there's not all that many announced or current WiiU titles to get excited for IMO. Wind Waker HD especially left a funny taste in my mouth, since they showed such a strong change of direction in art style with Skyward Sword and their next console Zelda is going to be a remake (IMO, a remake of one of the weakest Zelda titles to boot).

Makes a little more sense in that context.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2013, 12:02:18 am »

So back on topic(?), Despite the previously stated flaws in the console, I'm actually really looking forward to the new Xbox. For one, the TV feature seems very convenient. Considering I use my current 360 for almost exclusively for Netflix, this and the other "non game" features appeal to me.

I'm really hoping that the lack of Backwards Compatibility is false. You would think that with 15 confirmed games coming out on launch, you would have Backwards Compatibility.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2013, 12:03:50 am »

I don't usually give a damn about consoles.
But when I would, I'd buy a PS4.

Always-on, as we all know, gives a baad name (*cough*Sim-Shitty*cough*).

Also, the TV and music features are pointless.
Remember when consoles were...You, know, consoles?

Me neither.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2013, 12:07:08 am »

To be honest, I have no qualms as to what it was originally meant to be before. Console or not, I like having many of my things in one place.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2013, 12:10:14 am »

Remember when consoles were...You, know, consoles?
* Sirus looks at the Gamecube in the corner

Yes. Next question?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2013, 12:14:28 am »

Many things in one place? I have my goddamn PC for that. (I know not every console gamer, hardcore or casual, has a PC, but still)

I heard a great quote about the current PSvXBox...war.

Xbox ONE, Playstation FOUR.

That's the current aftermath after Microsoft's PR disaster.

Something like this, anyway.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2013, 12:20:06 am »

I don't mind consoles being media centers, what I do mind is it getting in the way of the purpose for which I bought them: to play games on.

EDIT: I've heard that the Xbox dashboard has advertisements all over it, even if you pay for their Xbox Live service. What the shit?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2013, 12:32:24 am »

So back on topic(?), Despite the previously stated flaws in the console, I'm actually really looking forward to the new Xbox. For one, the TV feature seems very convenient. Considering I use my current 360 for almost exclusively for Netflix, this and the other "non game" features appeal to me.

I'm really hoping that the lack of Backwards Compatibility is false. You would think that with 15 confirmed games coming out on launch, you would have Backwards Compatibility.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Different CPU architecture, they would need to at most make a emulator, which so far has not even happen for the first xbox

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2013, 12:35:06 am »

I don't mind consoles being media centers, what I do mind is it getting in the way of the purpose for which I bought them: to play games on.

EDIT: I've heard that the Xbox dashboard has advertisements all over it, even if you pay for their Xbox Live service. What the shit?
Yeah, thats really annoying. I get ads for games, movies and music and to get to the settings part of the dashboard, I need to go past ALL of them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37