Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42885 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Famous Xbox ONE being revealed.
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 07:20:26 pm »

The included Kinect should be considered more of a bonus
It's not something there to jack the price up? I can't imagine why I would ever use a Kinect. Maybe for head tracking (TrackIR) but that's aboot it, it's just going to be collected dust somewhere, and if you have to always have it plugged in then it's just going to be collecting dust in a more inconvenient spot.

EDIT: The used games thing is a big deal for a lot of people. The thing is you don't want to have to pay multiple times for something you already own. Not everybody has money they can just piss into the wind whenever Microsoft wants them to. (EDIT 2: this is also why having to pay to be able to play with friends online is dumb)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:24:52 pm by OzyTheSage »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 07:21:00 pm »

The included Kinect should be considered more of a bonus
I think this is actually a big point for me. Hopefully developers will start implementing the Kinect as a part of the control system rather than trying to implement it as the sole method of control.

I'm thinking a button that activates the upper body motion tracking in a multiplayer game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:06 pm »

Good god. You people all seem to be blowing this way out of proportions. This is not the end of the consoles, this is not the end of everything ever.

The whole "NO MORE USED GAMES!!!!!" thing? It's not that big of a deal. You pay the fee and you can play it, still probably at a smaller price than a brand new game.

The fee is the retail price. The new price. That's just to borrow from a friend. That's what the vice president has said.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:37 pm »

Basically you can pump up the profit margin when you include "extra free things".

And jesus gawd wtf are you doing microsoft? This made me craddle my PC and start singing to it softly.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 07:25:20 pm »

The connect is included for a pinnacle reason. It's voice and motion controls for entertainment are a big part of the entertainment aspect. My friend assures me that the voice commands and gesticulation work flawlessly without the problems of previous iterations. I am sure it will take some adapting, but it's a pretty cool functionality to voice control between gaming and television amongst other applications.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27:00 pm »

Basically you can pump up the profit margin when you include "extra free things".

And jesus gawd wtf are you doing microsoft? This made me craddle my PC and start singing to it softly.

There has not been a positive profit margin on a console in quite some time. It increases the potential loss on the hardware but increases the consumer demand, which is a strategy they are betting on.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »

Your PC that is running Microsoft Windows?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »

Your PC that is running Microsoft Windows?

Or Linux or OSX.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »

I have a laptop that games quite well. Plays every game I try. Minecraft. Skyrim. Team Fortress 2. Bioshock. I have never encountered a game it doesn't play well. And I paid under $400 for when I bought a scratch and dent model from Lenovo. It has a dedicated graphics cards. 6gb of ram. It kicks.

I even wrote an article on how to find gaming laptops on the cheap.

Buying a Value Gaming Laptop on a Budget
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2013, 07:53:08 pm »

Can the thread be retitled to something like "Hating on Xbox One" so that a thread for legitimate discussion could be made? Not only has this thread already devolved into general hating on consoles and PC Master Race circlejerking, it was never unbiased to begin with. The OP was about how a bs rumor that Xbox was anti-used game sales, not about discussing the console itself.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:33 pm »

Can the thread be retitled to something like "Hating on Xbox One" so that a thread for legitimate discussion could be made? Not only has this thread already devolved into general hating on consoles and PC Master Race circlejerking, it was never unbiased to begin with. The OP was about how a bs rumor that Xbox was anti-used game sales, not about discussing the console itself.

This so much.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2013, 08:00:21 pm »

Here we go, i hope it better suits where it went. I had nothing against console, but when i saw that, the DRM crap they putted out hard to not be unbiased,
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »

This so much.

Anti circlejerk circlejerk go!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:23 pm »

There has not been a positive profit margin on a console in quite some time. It increases the potential loss on the hardware but increases the consumer demand, which is a strategy they are betting on.

Yeah, hardware as a loss leader is not a new plan.... Hp, and their printers?  The ones people always complain about the ink costs?  _HUGE_ loss leader.  Depending on the model, the retail price can sometimes be less than _half_ of what it costs to produce.  Yeah, let that sink in for a minute.

This thread is representative of the discussions I've read elsewhere today, even discarding the livesnarking while the event was going on, and the cynical bias of The Internet(tm).  People are not happy about a lot of the things announced.  Overall positive opinions have been virtually non-existent.

I'm usually quiet about my Master Race membership card (I had to chisel mine out of old mobo PCB), but this was too good of a chance to pass up.  Take it with a grain of salt.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 08:19:01 pm »

Or just sign into your XBox account while at your friends house?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37