Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?  (Read 42937 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you hate consoles... Xone love hate?
« Reply #330 on: June 16, 2013, 11:16:03 am »

Copied from another forum:

This thread is indicative of internet society. Being reasonable, logical and even keeled is not as much fun as being a die hard fan or riding on the hate-wagon. Xbox One won't be perfect, even though we still know very little about it due to poor marketing/pr and the fact that it's 5 months from launch. It is also not as bad as the exaggerations are making it appear to be. Simply, there isn't enough information to even form an educated opinion at this point. The fact that people on both sides will argue the simple statements that I just made........
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2013, 11:53:37 am »

I can't come to this thread anymore. Between a botched press conference/product announcement and people concretely making up their minds without concrete evidence either way, this thread has become full of !FUN!. I am leaving this thread because it is causing me to lose faith in the B12 community, which was already the last bastion of my faith in humanity. I suggest anyone with more reason than ego also leave it behind.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2013, 12:29:22 pm »

To be perfectly honest, I'm tired of people coming into conversations and complaining about people complaining about something. It's more irritating than folks mindlessly raging at something, and no one involved in the discussion on either side wants to hear it, especially when you just come around to quote yourself/someone else to confirm that yes, you don't want to be involved in the topic any more, but for some reason you still come around to dissent about their dissent. If you don't agree with the majority of people in a topic, then bring up your points and leave it at that. Don't sit around and complain about the people themselves, because you're just committing a passive form of ad hominem.

If you don't want to be involved, don't get involved. Don't keep coming back around to complain about how people are still complaining about a product that we are still getting new tidbits of information for. There are still things folks want to discuss about this thanks to a number of news bits from E3, and even if the overall opinion is mostly dissenting, it's not your job to swing around and complain that everyone hates X thing for no reason, because there's plenty of reason, which they have been discussing.

Seriously. Let people talk. If it's that important to you, report the thread. By posting your "disappointment" with the community, you're just derailing the thread for no reason.

Heck, people weren't even talking about how much they hated the Xbone for once. They were talking about other consoles.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »

Seriously. Let people talk. If it's that important to you, report the thread. By posting your "disappointment" with the community, you're just derailing the thread for no reason.

Heck, people weren't even talking about how much they hated the Xbone for once. They were talking about other consoles.

Hemmingjay has a tendency to whine whenever people don't agree with all he likes. It's a fun habit, I guess. Someone needs to believe their opinions and feelings are the center of the universe. Sorry, Hem, that your opinion is so delicate that you find it so disgusting that people dislike the companies which pay you to post [Positive only].

I can't come to this thread anymore. Between a botched press conference/product announcement and people concretely making up their minds without concrete evidence either way, this thread has become full of !FUN!. I am leaving this thread because it is causing me to lose faith in the B12 community, which was already the last bastion of my faith in humanity. I suggest anyone with more reason than ego also leave it behind.

Case in point. Go email your superiors about how elitist we are, or something.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:21:35 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2013, 01:37:46 pm »

You're not helping, Mict.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2013, 01:46:36 pm »

I always thought Hemmingjay had some industry position, although I was never exactly sure what it was. So either way, insults aside, there's a clear divide between people in the industry vs. the average gamer. Arguably, this is the whole reason people are receiving the "Next Generation" of consoles so poorly. People in the industry are hopelessly out of touch with their consumers, and are trying to create consoles and products for a non-existent demographic.

To relate back to the video game market crash again, one of the factors that related to the crash was a loss of consumer confidence. It honestly seems to me, that every year and generation that comes by, that people are getting increasingly more and more tired with the video game industry. They're an industry that wants to be taken seriously and viewed as professional, and even want others to consider their work as a legitimate art-form. The problem is, many members of the industry tend to not act professional in the slightest. That's why we have so many shit storms over some developer in the industry saying something blatantly anti-consumer, or just flat out stupid. The video game industry as a whole isn't going to get anywhere, until the members of the industry start acting as if they're working in a professional, artistic field of work.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

Haha, the argument has turned against people after their ideas. Let's blame Microsoft.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #337 on: June 16, 2013, 02:16:39 pm »

While the XBone may turn off the military and many foreign countries and whoever doesn't have internet and....

Ahem...

For the rest, its all about the games.  I probably wont get the XBone on merits only if it stays like this... which hopefully it won't (and the complaints can actually change a product sometimes).  However, like anything else, I'm sure it will have a scarce few games I would want to play...

So on that aspect... wonder how hard it would be to start a game coop and pass games and console around... considering the 'locked in' problem.

Hrmm...
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2013, 02:43:23 pm »

Not to pop into the eye of the shitstorm late to the party, but is the title of this thread a pun? It's been bothering me that I don't get it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2013, 03:12:30 pm »

Simply, there isn't enough information to even form an educated opinion at this point.

On the contrary, I think MS has provided consumers with plenty of information for them to decide whether or not this console meets their needs, includes features they want or is belabored with ones they don't.

Some people are always going to want to embrace what the industry does, because they see it as progress. Others will see it as a regression, or even worse, as aggressively trying to foist a new model on people.

That's what I find the most obnoxious about this whole debate. If you don't like the features of the xbone, you must be some sort of crazy person or tinfoil hat-wearing bunker dweller, instead of a consumer expressing your preference. And if you don't mind the xbone, you are the hand maiden of Console Hitler, instead of someone who is willing to give up some things in order to get other things.

At this point, I don't care what MS does with their console anymore, it could be powered by kitten souls for all it matters to me. There's room in the market for multiple models, and MS is one I simply am not going to be paying attention to anymore. As it is with console wars though, no one is entitled to just have an opinion. There is no Switzerland in the console wars, apparently.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:15:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2013, 03:40:27 pm »

Personally, I dislike the idea of anyone buying the Xbox One, but I have what I think is a good reason.

If Microsoft gets money for this, they're going to think it's acceptable to keep using these methods and systems that are harmful to people buying the products. They may start using them on their other products. I like Windows, and I'm not going to be very happy if I have to change to another operating system because Windows 7 stops being able to support my computer needs and the later Windows products are riddled with things I can't tolerate.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 16, 2013, 03:43:54 pm »

Personally, I dislike the idea of anyone buying the Xbox One, but I have what I think is a good reason.

If Microsoft gets money for this, they're going to think it's acceptable to keep using these methods and systems that are harmful to people buying the products. They may start using them on their other products. I like Windows, and I'm not going to be very happy if I have to change to another operating system because Windows 7 stops being able to support my computer needs and the later Windows products are riddled with things I can't tolerate.
Well said. MS is already getting money from something that isn't a decent upgrade unless you have to use it (Win8), two such things is just nonsense.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2013, 05:30:05 pm »

There's always the danger of the reverse happening, though. Microsoft may think the model is acceptable, but quit making consoles and games because they're "out of date". Folks who make these kinds of decisions can be very out of touch.

Luckily, everyone's been pretty vocal against a lot of Microsoft's policies. I wouldn't mind them turning around and saying, "Okay, we'll do it your way," and would be quite ecstatic if they did. It'd be a huge victory for consumers, especially since Microsoft is such a big part of the game industry and their decisions could influence how other companies react to similar situations in the future.

And I think it should be clear: I don't think anyone here has a problem with people who want to buy the Xbone, nor do they have a problem with consoles. It's simply a matter of, "These features are anti-consumer", which is perfectly fair. I'd be more than happy to see the Xbone and PS4 succeed, if only because that means competition for the PC market, and competition leads to better prices and products.

I do, however, want them to succeed for the right reasons. There's a real danger where if Microsoft ignores all of the criticism but still manage to have a success with the Xbone that they and other companies will say, "Hey, looks like we can do what we want and get away with it." That's what I'm really afraid of, not forced features or exclusionary DRM.

It's unlikely either way, but it's not a practice I'd want to encourage in the gaming industry.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 16, 2013, 07:06:48 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37