Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: no stone/10 would not bang  (Read 1281 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no stone/10 would not bang
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:11 am »

What's with the new stone droprates. I missed a few patches (I tend to play, get addicted then quit for months) and am just now noticing that my -legendary- miners are getting maybe 25% of the stone at most. Probably closer to 20%.

How am I meant to build a fortress with these few blocks? :(

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: no stone/10 would not bang
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11:28 am »

Take the rocks and have your mason turn them into actual stone blocks. The numbers should increase.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:20 am »

Each stone boulder now produces 4 blocks when processed, and each ore smelted makes 4 bars except for special reactions like steel, pig iron, and the other alloys, which make materials proportional to the metal bars that went into the process.

You should end up with the same amount of materials, with much less stone laying about in need of dumping.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:51 am »

But I can't turn blocks into crafts can I?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:21:27 am »

Dunno. Probably not.

You should get a lot of Crafts frome very single Boulder though so I don't Think you're missing much.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:35:41 am »

Oh hang on, has the number of crafts per boulder been knocked up? I think it used to be 1:1? Maybe I was mistaken. This was my dilemma. I wanted to make mechanisms to grind my mechanics up.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:37:58 am »

I haven't bothered with stone crafts in a while, but I don't think that was changed?  I believe the only thing changed was upping the production of blocks and metal bars from stone.  Mechanisms I'm all but sure are still 1:1.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:05:58 am »

What's with the new stone droprates. I missed a few patches (I tend to play, get addicted then quit for months) and am just now noticing that my -legendary- miners are getting maybe 25% of the stone at most. Probably closer to 20%.

droprates are fixed, skill no longer has an effect (are precious gems at the same rate?)
stone is heavy, significantly slowing haulers unless wheelbarrows are used.
increased rock blocks from stone, crafts and furniture are still 1:1
increased coke and bars from smelting.  Metal bars -> blocks still 1:1
Pottery/Kiln unchanged

impressions:  New system is awesome.  Less mass dumping/hiding of stone.  You get the same number of blocks as before but they're made faster, and blocks are still light and easy to move to a construction site.  Only thing nerfed is rock crafts/pots/furniture, as you need to dig out more area to get the same number of stone, and hauling can take longer without wheelbarrows.  In my experience running out of stone is never a problem, so you can still set "make rock pots [R]" and be fine.  Furthermore, due to stockpile changes we can reliably and relatively easily set the color/stone used at any workshop, which is something people have wanted for a long time.  The changes are a significant boost to the metal industry, as smelting ore requires far less fuel now.  Making alloys from bars is still just as fuel intensive, but making alloys directly from ore you get like an 90% fuel cost reduction or more, which is awesome (smaller tree farms, more wood left for glassmaking/fetilizer/soap and more fuel left for non-essentials like kilns, more mileage out of imported wood, less reliance on coal if present).

Yes, its awesome.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:05 am »

Small clusters like gems or rare other materials always give 100%.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:54:46 am »

Everything should be just as plentiful except for Stone Crafts and Stone Furniture.
If you're making a lot of crafts, I find that if you have a meat industry or fishing, bones, skulls, hooves, horns, and shells pile up faster than you can make crafts out of them.  Furniture should be the only thing that's really limited, and you should still have plenty of stone for that.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:45 am »

I think you're supposed to dig more, which means more strange moods, and more possibilities for fun! Low dig = low fun!  ;D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »

What I usually do:

Dig into a clay wall, and or, pen animals over a clay soil area.
Build a ceramicist shop
Place a clay collection site over the exposed clay
Harvest ad nauseum
Build buildings out of clay boulders, until I can get brick making going.

This neatly sidesteps the whole problem, excepting where 'non_economic hard stone" is required, such as forges and the like. (Doesn't work for masonry items, like tables or chairs either.)

The fact that you can spam collection for use in building walls, bridges and depots makes up for the shortcomings though, and makes it a very useful material.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:54:08 pm »

I suggest altering the raws to make pig iron and steel use flux blocks instead of flux stones. It makes imported flux as useful as imported ore, and doesn't reduce your on-site flux supply by 75%*. It does come at the cost of an extra processing step unless you buy blocks directly from the caravan.

*Minor niggle, since if you have flux at all you probably have more than four times the amount you need anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »

droprates are fixed, skill no longer has an effect (are precious gems at the same rate?)
Vanilla drop rates are 25% for stone and ore, 100% for gems and spoiler metal.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 02:51:56 pm »

Vanilla drop rates are 25% for stone and ore, 100% for gems and spoiler metal.

Include platinum, aluminum and whatever other rare metal ores in the 100% category.
Pages: [1] 2