Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 34.11 danger room -- training spears turned lethal  (Read 2963 times)

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 34.11 danger room -- training spears turned lethal
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »

Three years, and you managed to train the spears!

Nebullaron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »

I'm gonna go on a wild speculative hunch here, but I've noticed several cases of my own dwarves/animals interacting with traps in a weird (fun) way. There have been a few cases of "dwarf in a cage" in my recent fort, plus 1 of my cats (chased by goblins) got instantly dismembered by one of the weapon traps, out of nowhere. Could it be that a creature dodging or being propelled towards a trap will cause the trap to not "check" whether the creature is hostile and activate? Maybe you're having a similar problem with the spears - "dodge one - into another" kind of thing. If anyone has noticed something similar, share your thoughts. In the meantime...

**Urist, grab your best armor, you're about to dance around a few spea.... I mean the Maypole, in the name of science...** 

Lostereadamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »

I'm gonna go on a wild speculative hunch here, but I've noticed several cases of my own dwarves/animals interacting with traps in a weird (fun) way. There have been a few cases of "dwarf in a cage" in my recent fort, plus 1 of my cats (chased by goblins) got instantly dismembered by one of the weapon traps, out of nowhere. Could it be that a creature dodging or being propelled towards a trap will cause the trap to not "check" whether the creature is hostile and activate? Maybe you're having a similar problem with the spears - "dodge one - into another" kind of thing. If anyone has noticed something similar, share your thoughts. In the meantime...

**Urist, grab your best armor, you're about to dance around a few spea.... I mean the Maypole, in the name of science...** 
[/quote

Injured friendlies can set off traps, as well as webbed ones. This led to some !!FUN!! when playing kobolds in masterwork one memorable time.
[Their shields are thick, their swords are sharp, and they are clad in the bones and skins of those who dared to stand against Depthhall. This beast's hide will clothe an army, it's meat will feed generations. This time the beast does not win. The dwarves will have their fortress. Losing is fun, motherfucker.]

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 03:42:38 am »

I always try to make my training spears out of the least dense wood available on my embark. Higher density materials hit with more force, so a blood thorn training spear is potentially more deadly than a willow training spear. Use feather tree wood if you have access to it.
Pages: 1 [2]