Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268708 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Oh Captain, my Captain
« Reply #4005 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:00 pm »

Fun fact: the local were-rat / dragonkin community is heavily animistic and very into elemental powers, mixed extremely liberally with pre-Christian faith and a bastardized Catholic faith.

So what you're describing is incredibly in-character.  You could literally be describing one of the members of the Resistance, a demi-human from Oceanside, or anyone from the nearby city of Puerto Diablo.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: August 15, 2014, 09:26:41 pm »

Spoiler: Wild Ass Guessing (click to show/hide)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: August 15, 2014, 09:34:01 pm »

I knew what it was, I just didn't know whether the perception was good enough to, in fact, do so. Sorry. :P

If I recall correctly, Daeth is a second tier caster, which implies heavily that he's anywhere from 85th to 95th percentile of power wielder. The only tiers higher are First , Beyond Measure, Wizard, and God.

That being said, I definitely appreciate that you respect the IC/OOC gap.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: August 15, 2014, 09:38:06 pm »

Oh, he's supposed to be human. He's supposed to look like an unassuming, frail old man who's getting on in years...right up til you actually make him angry and he kicks your ass, the smile never leaving his face; only changing into a sour smile.

He's supposed to be more Buddhism or Uncle Iroh themed than, uh, Were-Inquisitor themed.

It seems like people rocket into the upper tiers of casting really fast in this game, which makes me wonder if those percentiles are true...level 3 or 4, and alpha party was almost entirely tier 1 casters by that point.

Also, less animilastic than primordial. If that makes any sense.

And he would know judo, or an approximation thereof. Old man can't rely entirely on his elemental buddies.

Does that still work? What is the Resistance, anyway?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: August 15, 2014, 09:49:32 pm »

This game is about the special people. Adventurers are typically better than others. Look at the difference between Hero-class profile and Supporting-class profile. Or even NPC/background class.

Yes. Demi-human from either city or town or village.

I'll explain later.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: August 16, 2014, 10:51:04 am »

I wasn't thinking "inquisition", more like "Santeria combined with Mayincatek, a bastardized Catholic sainthood tradition, and what ignorant white people assume Native Americans believe."  I'm sort of simplifying here, since a detailed introduction to the faiths of the local folks really isn't all that relevant.

Most people don't have a lot of power. They have maybe one normal power and a few minor / lesser / least.

Hero class people who get a magical education are way ahead. Instead of having a small cluster of semi related power, you have a well rounded base. Your average plumber is probably in a high percentile of plumbing knowledge.

Also, it measures what you are capable of, not necessarily what you can do.  In theory, once you hit a certain level of basicski lls and power, you are capable of a lot.

Like... Enchanter versus generalist. Both can imbue items with power. For the Enchanter, a +1 is so easy it is nearly thoughtfree. Generalist would need ritual and time.

Or "if you're a college level athlete, you're probably in the 80th. There is a difference between you and an Olympic athlete, but compared to Joe Smith, you're way higher.

Or, failing all that, you, a short distance runner, and an ultrmarathoner all have  to cover 50 miles. All of you CAN indeed go that far, it's just that it's going to take more time and effort for you than for the person who trained for it. If we assume that you work out, you will finish sooner than the Xbox loving Mr.  Smith.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: August 16, 2014, 01:00:51 pm »

What is the Resistance, anyway?

Black Sand canon.

Basically, it started out when Ross, who has more money than God* purchased what is basically Hawaii, only a mile offshore from the South America equivalent. He set up home on Maui, which is the closest Island, and maintained Neutral towards every side except general goodwill to the locals.

At the beginning of the plot, the "Banana Republic" trope was in full force, armed and funded by the American analog. One group of indigenous people who had Dragon blood and such, began fighting. Think "Zapatistas" if you want an idea, with a married couple as the "visible" leadership if you want the  general idea.

Over time, Ross and the Black Sand patrons ended up on the side of the rebels because the People's Republic thought "Hey, you know what the best solution to keep the insanely rich gun running drug lord / visiting wizard monarch and his group of cheerfully ultraviolet friends consisting of mercenaries, celebrity fighters, assassins, and wanted criminals, most of whom have powers and are beyond or not even human, from being a threat to us? Yeah, let's kidnap his daughter and the loved ones of most of those friends and threaten to kill them unless they give in. "

As you can imagine, that backfired spectacularly, to the point of" "on a scale from 1-10  of how terrible your idea is, this is equal to "invade Russia in winter" or "reject an ex Soldier from art school."

The immediate response was to arm and fund the rebels, and to mount an immediate rescue operation directly to the military base in question. And to wreck all the shit, too.

After that? Hit and run raids on strategic targets. Fighting off invasions. Straight up war, in urban and other areas. At one point  the Black Sand patrons liberated Puerto Diablo, the nearby city, by staging an illegal protest rock concert, handing out literal tons of booze, drugs, and weapons, and using assorted mind and crowd control powers to get the amped up, pissed off crowd to throw a huge fucking riot.

After it all settled, quite a few patrons physically helped with rebuilding. Ross donated a hospital and shit, others helped with rescue, others did heavy lifting, one character designed an entirely new geothermal power plant and hired entirely local crew to build it, etc.

The overall public opinion is "Yeah, they're a bunch of dangerous lunatic criminals  who regularly endanger our community / planet / universe, but they're our psychos, they tend to save the world, they pay really well, and the benefits are amazing. Plus, we can actually vote, so there's that. "

* appropriate net worth: 157,455,000,000,000,000

Note: personal wealth. This does not represent the Vernal family wealth, which is considerably higher. He's considered moderately wealthy in the Vernal family and the Spring Court.  In the Unseelie High Court as a whole, his wealth is that of the middle class. Such gossip.

Edit : Even some plain human patrons solo'd tanks. A brother sister pair of a sniper and engineer (the very same one who did the geothermal plant) took out an entire column of tanks with a dirt bike, plastiques, grenades, one RPG, and assault weaponry. Yes, they did get shot and did live.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:27:57 pm by Ross Vernal »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: August 16, 2014, 09:03:10 pm »

I would so watch that if it were a movie.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: August 17, 2014, 01:14:21 pm »

If I had any art skills at all, I'd make a webcomic.

I'd take a few liberties with canon for ease of story. Aveline and her brother would show up at the beginning, G would have his plot end by being elected Mayor instead of vanishing. Nic and Ross would fall out instead of a vanishing act, etc.

Each player would have all of their characters in a certain style. Like, the hulking thug Joel who regularly started fights by breaking bottles across the head of strangers and the reluctant-hero/warrior telekinetic Damon would be in the same style so as to make it clear which narrator had them.  Trog the Troglodyte and June a style. So on.

Kids and mixed creations would be blended art style. Like, Ross, Anya, and Cal would have a certain look, while Wes would be half and half and the triplets would be a different half.

Anyway.

Is this all the IC? I guess I'll magic open the manhole in a few hours.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures in Delayed Gratification
« Reply #4014 on: August 17, 2014, 04:12:24 pm »

Arghlebrghl gimme a few. YOU GUYS, WITH THE KNOW-HOW WITH THE FOUNTAIN (and the mirror)! Get crackin with your button-pushin yes?

..What kinda metal is the shield?
Is it large or small atm?
What would Rurail sense from it upon picking it up?
Perhaps there's some kinda decoration?
Will be editing my last post.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:26:47 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:30 am »

Sorry for the lack of posts, hard to make good posts on a phone.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: August 18, 2014, 09:04:01 am »

Oh gosh, let's say that you all know what you got and can decorate as you please.

Not as hard for me. My G2 is huge.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: August 18, 2014, 09:18:18 am »

Alpha Party, you're on deck for the reaction scene.

Beta, let's get ready to rumble!

As stated in the IC thread, please preface posts with [Alpha] or [Beta].

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures in Long Delayed Updates
« Reply #4018 on: August 18, 2014, 10:29:57 am »

Whooooooo!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures in Long Delayed Updates