Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268620 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures In Delayed Updates
« Reply #3390 on: April 29, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »

If cleaning spells aren't more common than dirt, I will be surprised and mildly disappointed.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 11, 2014, 12:49:19 am »

Cleaning spells are common, yeah. There's a few things. Information is rather limited; magic-users are properly paranoid and well-aware of the consequences of letting Joe Hillbilly learn Deathblast.

Your common villageperson has a variety of little tricks that are useful. I encourage y'all to think of some. Off the top of my head? Glow, Scour, Hardball, Cure Lesser Wound, Block Pain, Lesser Telekinesis, etc. Some things are common to those with schooling, some are passed down like family recipes, etc. The thing is, though, you can hurt yourself pretty badly or kill yourself with magic. It's something taken for granted, but treated with careful respect. You might, instead of doing a "mass clean house" spell, sweep the floor twice and then use Scour.

Thought I had put this in, but I see I missed it:

Ritual Magic is as draining as physical activity; attempting a spell of too much power, trying to invent new rituals, and errors in the ritual can leave you exhausted, put you in a coma, or just kill you outright.

Power always comes with a price.

The obvious risk to Blood Magic comes from accidentally cutting too deep, shock from blood loss, infection from untreated wounds, and the like. However, overuse of Blood Magic can permanently strip you of powers altogether; necromancy and dark magic are also quite risky - especially so for the latter, and especially if you are caught performing certain spells.

With Chaos Magic, any number of horrible things could happen to you - sudden new limbs and/or organs, forced gender change, spontaneous combustion, high-velocity orbit around the planet, being sprayed by a skunk, turning canary yellow and sprouting feathers for a week, braided nostril hairs, etc.

Most Alchemists die by accidentally blowing themselves up, poisoning themselves, drinking certain potions together, exposure, etc. Aside from that, Alchemical Magic is relatively free of risks - if you trust your local Alchemist or stick to known alchemical recipes.

Divine magic?  Pissing off the Gods by whining for more spells is never a good idea; likewise, the God you pray to has rival Gods who view you with an apathy bordering on revulsion.

Summoning too powerful of a spirit can leave you possessed, too powerful of a creature could break free, and sometimes, what you call won't answer. Likewise, malevolent spirits could decide that your newly-called firestorm would be best off being focused on you.

With elemental magic, you run the risk of drowning, burning to death, asphyxiation, electrocution, hypothermia, and the like. There is also the risk of spontaneous and instantaneous teleportation to an Ascendant Plane, but that doesn't usually happen unless you fuck up pretty spectacularly.

Psionics also have the risk of bloody noses, depression, schizophrenia, brain-asplodey, THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN SEEN CANNOT BE UNSEEN, and, of course, the ever-popular "secretly brainwashed as a sleeper agent for Daimonas" thing that happens. Which is really creepy, because you never know until you're a spectator in your own head.

Anything with aether is usually free of the side effects, but your chance of instant death from soulburn is a lot higher given the whole "cast from soul" flavor that goes with it.

God Power? Well, young wannabe heros training under you in hopes that you'll reveal the secret in your dying breath, rivals making ridiculously complicated schemes to get you to reveal the secret, fate demanding you die in confrontations with mysterious hood-wearing assholes with a Plan, etc, etc. Plus, the whole "getting the Gods to let your lifetime of effort spent purely towards this one task be regarded with favor enough to equal their skill" thing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:17:04 pm by Ross Vernal »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: May 11, 2014, 01:01:22 am »

Ooh, interesting. Glad to see yah back Ross.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 11, 2014, 02:38:07 am »

ROSS!

*charge-tackle-hugs Ross*

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 11, 2014, 11:10:13 am »

Hile, wordslingers!

The project is more or less done. Tinkering all day, a bit of commute stuff, and I should get to doing some posting (maybe even an IC post) this week. Seein' Lover Girl this weekend, but I'll take some time out to at least get Red's reply.

Also, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 17, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »

Bump o' the mornin' to ya!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3396 on: May 21, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »

Burp.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: May 24, 2014, 07:10:54 pm »

Ross updating?

WHAT IS THIS HERESY?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 24, 2014, 07:20:43 pm »

"This is very rough, but each of the following constitutes a "tier" of enchanting:
- 10 MP pool
- 10% power reduction cost / damage amplification (limit 50%)
- +1 Soak / +1 Damage (generally limited to 5)
- Alignment
- Extra Damage Type (generally limited to 1)
- 2% to-hit / 2% dodge
- 2% Hiding
- Level of sentience
- Anti-degrade 1% (generally limited to 5%)
- Increase degrade 2% (generally limited to 10%)
- 1 spell up to Tier 4"

Anything. Go wild. Ask about alternate materials for obvious reasons of not wanting to give you an ultimate weapons. Bracelet of the Elements counts as +3 (4 fire/cold/electric soak) as does the Necklace of Vitality (+1 to Strength, Speed, and Endurance.) This should give you some sort of idea as to what neato stuff to give yourself in preparation for BOSSFIGHT.

You all auto-failed spot checks except for natural 20's; none of you got it. Fiddle around with things I mentioned in the IC post, there's enough hints. :P If you find it, that becomes +10, 14,000 in large coins, or a Greater Artifact (there is exactly one of these and what it is should be obvious).

Elder Shaman Blue will give you a permanent +1 to something that isn't your level or one of the wonderful toys you pick.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 24, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »

What tier would an item to change the user's mass on command be?

(Or weight, rather, but the effect here is the same.)

What about an item specifically to reduce damage sustained by falling?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:40:49 pm by Remuthra »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: May 24, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »

That sounds as though you are looking for a mid level transmutation, so we'll call it 1 per 100 lbs. Adding in the MP pool to cast would put it up to 3.

Falling counts as bludgeon damage for HP purposes unless it's fast enough to warrant ballistic. Tacking on a +2 soak would get your fill at 5.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: May 24, 2014, 10:20:02 pm »

Will you tell us if we guess close OOC?

Because I'm guessing it has to do with the mirrors and possibly the way the torches interact with the fountain and/or manhole. Or shrines, maybe. GRRR.

Are the hints only in that one post?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: May 24, 2014, 10:25:04 pm »

This is where role play can trump roll play.

So, yes, but posting means better hints. And yes, some of those things are involved and all are in that one post.

Edit: There are three cues. You have indeed listed two of them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:26:40 pm by Ross Vernal »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: May 24, 2014, 10:27:10 pm »

Hmm...

How angry would the elves be if looking for the secret artifact involved razing the treasure vault?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: May 24, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »

Is the third clue the scale and/or beads, or is it the shadow-images?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 332