Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 267892 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures In Drinking Tea
« Reply #1770 on: August 25, 2013, 11:24:59 pm »

I remember having a character similar to Alphons in an RPG a while back. Hadn't seen Full Metal Alchemist yet, and he could 'shapeshift' and had an army of golems, but still.

You could probably have a suit of armor as a body. You'd likely need a very close connection and a very arduous process to whomever was smith/enchanting it.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 26, 2013, 12:49:39 am »

You know what, I can't decide; Ross, can you please pick who exactly Morgred was before becoming a necromancer and let me know? (Name, gender, race, etc)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1772 on: August 26, 2013, 02:07:54 pm »

Hmm, say: should we assume we're armed & armored at all times, or do we stow weapons and remove our stink-suits in casual company?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 26, 2013, 05:42:54 pm »

Depends on if they'd wear it in casual company. Common sense wise, bad idea to wear heavy armor on deck but that is invalidated by 1) Jewel sinking even if he wasn't armored, or 2) Thales can fly in his armor. So ultimately it would depend, I guess.

I'd be shocked if they didn't have their weapons however, what adventurer doesn't constantly keep something heavy and blunt or sharp and pointy with them at all times? I mean, even a dagger can be useful for personal grooming.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1774 on: August 26, 2013, 08:45:57 pm »

Yeah but a halberd or a zweihander or a musket?
And what about the chafing? Or sweating? Or ability to use the head?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: August 26, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »

I'll think about it.

I find it safe to say that as properly trained adventurers, the only time you are not armed is after a through cavity search and are incapable of using magic.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »

In short: You are correct on the weapons however that just means they'd be wearing less bulky weapons, but the armor is still a toss up. I wouldn't be surprised if the people in plate armor have stripped most of the plates however, so they're probably in more a chain hauberk and breastplate, maybe not even the breastplate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:57:56 pm by Xanmyral »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1777 on: August 27, 2013, 12:04:05 am »

Head as in watercloset, bonus points since we're on a ship.

the idea of applying enchantments to plate armor makes me wonder considering it is actually several layers
Next you'll want to drink less than a whole potion.
Badges of honor

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 27, 2013, 12:17:53 am »

Actually, yeah, there are a whole host of comfort enchantments for armor. Those, anti-degrade, and +1 soak are usually the most common enchants.

Let's say you have a typical soldier of a reasonably well-equipped army. His armor would have an enchant to keep the armor's interior not baking or freezing, something to allow him to sleep in the armor without getting totally cricked and cramped, an anti-rust effect, and an anti-degrade effect.

If you get a veteran, they might also have some bonus effects like soak, dodge, etc.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 27, 2013, 12:28:36 am »

Hm. I've been thinking Ross; does the exoskeleton of a giant insect count as bone?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:37 am »

For necromantic purposes, yes.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 27, 2013, 12:40:42 am »

Wonderful.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 27, 2013, 07:18:11 am »

Head as in watercloset, bonus points since we're on a ship.

the idea of applying enchantments to plate armor makes me wonder considering it is actually several layers
Next you'll want to drink less than a whole potion.

Hahah, okay yeah I see your point there with the water closet (although honestly I had to look up what that was), just never heard it referred to as such.

Heh, the enchantment on plate armor is more of a joking thing.

@Ross: Interesting, and it makes sense. On a semi-related note to that, is it possible to make food with nothing more than magic?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:26 am »

It is a high-magic setting, after all.

World-building is my favorite part of GMing, and you know how magic typically isn't shown as having much effect on everyday life, but is fucking everywhere in fighting and adventuring? I think that's silly. Magic wards and protections against magic will be as common as armor on the battlefield in a high magic setting, in all likelihood, while powerful mages counter spelling while the armies fight might be more common in high-power-rare-use settings, where if either one wins(army of Mage), they both do(army distracts Mage so friendly Mage can break through; friendly Mage annihilates enemy army once the Mage countering him is gone).

But as an example, I think that most soldiers would probably either have armor enhanted to protect against spells, at the least, or an amulet that wards off spells anyway enchanted to protect from physical blows. Since a lot of people know at least a little magic, it wouldn't be uncommon(or at least, the general idea of this) to see a soldier wearing robes, holding a sword, with piercings and necklace/bracelets all over, with a dagger in his other hand. Or a knight in full armor astride his mighty steed, bearing shield and staff, armor and shield alike emblazoned with runic inscriptions meant to focus his arcane power. Perhaps there are even countries where 'noble' and 'Mage' are the same word.

Maybe not in Ross's world, of course, since I think he already has the world made, but it's just an example.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:59 am »

I REALLY love the Warrior < Magic User < Priest < Magic User/Priest hierarchy in this game. It's just REALLY amusing for me.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 332