Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268218 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread: Adventures in Questioning The DM
« Reply #585 on: June 11, 2013, 01:31:04 pm »

Duly noted.

Question for you: Should I regard "Favored of Arnum" as a magic-oriented divine prestige class in the same manner I regard "Infinite Legionnaire" as a combat-oriented divine prestige class? Because that's how I read it.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 11, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »

Oh, interesting. Good thing Jewel isn't much into lying though, he just doesn't speak much. Omission by lack of seeing relevance, ho!

Those stats are... Something though, definitely. You did spend a critical virtue for them though, so it makes sense. Also damn he's tall, although not sure if I'd say hulking. With that kind of height and weight, he's probably sticks. Unless his bones are hollow or something, or he's oddly light for his body frame.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:58 pm »

Yes. If Thales wasn't an Angelborn, I would name the class Cultist.

@Xanmyral: He's lighter than I would normally mark him as because he's supposed to be able to fly. I might up that because metal wings, though.

Let me know if the stats are too high even with the virtue.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 11, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »

@Remuthra
Holy MOLY!
Even taking away 3 from every stat, your average's higher than Zoah's!

Nathan could get himself killed... he'd lie to save someone good. :P

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:51 pm »

That's why paladins are an important part of a party ;D. I lowered his stats a bit to one point lower than Zoah, and raised his weight.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 11, 2013, 01:53:47 pm »

Looks good to me. If you want a technical way akin to how I got Jewel's I got a guesstimate if you want to hear it.

Also, seems we're going full melee. I'm excited.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 11, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »

Sure.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:47 pm »

*runs the numbers on top-tier characters*

Joe, Human (Presumed Rutila heritage): Strength 8, Stamina 8, Agility 25, Speed 10, Endurance 8, Willpower 28, Intelligence 28, Perception 18. Average: 16.625

Zoah, Angelborn of Shin (Aspect of War): Strength 22, Stamina 19, Agility 15, Speed 14, Endurance 19, Willpower 18, Intelligence 12, Perception 16. Average: 16.875. Non-metal wings.

Thales, Angelborn of Arnum (Unknown Aspect, presumed Magic): Strength 22, Stamina 17, Agility 28, Speed 18, Endurance 20, Willpower 26, Intelligence 16, Perception 15. Average: 20.25

I am giving you fair warning that because of your stats, I am obligated to make the party opponents smarter and to have higher stats of their own. Also, given the whole "Shiny metal wings" you're likely to be the biggest target.

If you're willing to accept that, then I won't say no.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 11, 2013, 01:59:31 pm »

Actually feel sorry for Castle. Beta party will have the highest average character with the lowest. Not to mention, it's a masseuse zombie XD. (The novelty of Castle's not yet worn off me. :P)

(After taking everyone's averages from before Thales (not like I do this kind of thing...), the averages of averages turns out to be 14.1875, with only 3 actually surpassing that number. Yay spreadsheets. :P)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 11, 2013, 02:04:29 pm »

In that case, I'm willing to go for it. I like having challenging enemies, and as long as my character is the biggest target I should hopefully take the brunt of the GM retribution. The only real problem I have with difficulty is punishing other players.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: June 11, 2013, 02:08:29 pm »

I can be glad that I'm a follower of Arnum, then.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 11, 2013, 02:09:37 pm »

Found it! Been looking for that picture for a while... We least magical party now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, if you want to hear my guesstimation, here it is. Last I say, the average of all the alpha party's stats were 14, because I calculated those when I made Jewel who was the first Beta Party sheet I believe.

So, if you want to shoot for a high average, I'd start out with a base of fourteen, maybe fifteen in each stat. Since you have a critical virtue for stats, I'd wager that adds fifteen (because critical, if it were major I'd say ten, five for minor) some odd points onto that. Should give a more reasonable range of stats.

Something like... STR 15/14, STA 15/14, AGIL 15/14, SPD 15/14, END 15/14, WILL 15/14, INT 15/14, PER 15/14, with some odd 15 points to add wherever you want. Should wind up with a average of around... High Sixteens, to High Fifteens, depending on if you went with the fifteen or fourteen base respectively. If you do a mix, like odds are fifteen base and evens are fourteen base, it would be low sixteens I'd wager.

EDIT: However, if you want to stick with having the highest stats for the challenge (something I understand, and I'm all for honestly, nothing like surviving by the skin of your teeth), a base of sixteen with an additional fifteen to distribute should wind up with a high seventeen average.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:13:36 pm by Xanmyral »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 11, 2013, 02:15:10 pm »

Calculations? Trying to understand the game mechanics? Not just slapping stats around because that's what seemed right at the time?
Bah humbug.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:21 pm »

That's pretty much what I did. The sixteens thing sounds good to me, though.

I did pretty much that but with 17 extra points, because my urge to slap stats on there commanded me to.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:21:33 pm by Remuthra »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 11, 2013, 02:30:57 pm »

Oh yeah, some notes:

Obviously, the AG is a guild, as you might have guessed from "apprentice, journeyman, master, Master, Grandmaster" thing.

A term of study is two years. It's the AA of the adventuring world. You have basic weapon proficiencies, studied magic, rope work, basic survival, tracking, some degree of identification of goods, literacy, etc, etc. Basically, anything you would expect an adventurer to know, you learned at the Guild.

Any journeyman adventurer who has accomplished something of note can petition (read: pay a lot of money) for a masterhood. This is decided by common vote of all master-plus ranks in the Guild's castle/university. It certifies that they are an adventurer and a full guildsman, and that they can teach journeymen and apprentices at a smaller, local Guild.

It's basically the BA of the adventuring world. Renn is at this level. He got his masterhood from helping with a giant slave revolt / escape attempt, which is part of the reason he's so ugly.

A Master with a capital M is closer to the "master craftsman". It's a more technical rank advancement, and while the advancement process is similar, it strongly implies advanced technique. While it is conceivable to buy into a mastership, you cannot advance into Mastership via charitable donation and bribery. Master's degree sort of thing.

Grandmaster is the PhD of it, and you can pretty well imagine the skill and talent needed to get here.

These do not always correspond with level. You can be a Grandmaster and only have 1 level in Adventurer, or be a Journeyman with 10 levels of Adventurer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:34:50 pm by Ross Vernal »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 332