Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268372 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread: Adventures in Questioning The DM
« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2013, 03:41:40 pm »

Question for the thread: Should I make a big, comprehensive Rules post summarizing all of the mechanics-related questions you guys have asked me?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »

YES.

What's this cult language thing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 10, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »

It would be very useful.

Cult languages are languages specific to the religion they're for. Each religion has one, if I recall.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 10, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »

Yes, exactly that. It is worthy to note that there is some degree of Divine magic to them - while it does indeed take study and practice to speak with fluency, provided you have reached a certain rank, you can understand the language.

To explain the rank thing, I'll use the Decaric (Shin) faith as an example:

Fides - Believer (No level. You count as a Believer for all religions, because you indeed acknowledge that the other gods exist because there is solid, concrete evidence that they do.)
Custos - Disciple 1 (Four levels of Disciple translate to one level of Novice. This is the lowest rank needed to understand Cultspeak. A special note that Disciple levels do not count for HP, MP, spells known, etc. Think of them as honorary levels. It is assumed that declaring a Faith in your profile gives you a hidden level in Disciple for the god in question.)
Bellicus - Disciple 2
Tirones - Disciple 3
Discens - Novice 1 (Three levels of Novice translate to one level of Initiate. These levels do not count for HP or MP, although minor-level Divine spells start here.)
Imaginifer - Novice 2
Tesserarius - Initiate 1 (Three levels of Initiate translate to one level of Priest. These levels do not count for HP, but do count for 1/3 MP each. Low-level Divine spells start here.)
Princepale - Initiate 2
Pilus (Priest 1. This is the first actual level that counts for 1 HP and 2 MP.)
Centurion (Priest 2)
Primus (Priest 3)
Tribuni (Priest 4)
Praefectus (Priest 5)
Tribunus (Priest 6)
Legatus (Priest 7)
Pontifex (Priest 8 )
Pontifex Maximus (Priest 9)
Defender of the Faith  (Priest 10. Highest possible rank, gains the extra feat Avatar of the God and one or more relevant God Power feats.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:05:29 pm by Ross Vernal »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 10, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »

Neat, do all religions share a similar ranking structure? I imagine the names are different of course though. Also, what's the feat Avatar of the God? Is it different dependent on the deity, or just a sort of blanket power up allied with the more relevant God Powers feat?

On the note of cult langauges, I'd be exceedingly surprised if Jewel's faux-religion has its own cult language. Such would be rather useless, if existent, considering the chances of running into another who might actually know it.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2013, 04:28:19 pm »

Yes, they do. The names are indeed different. No, I haven't thought of all of the rank names for all of the Gods, sorry.

An avatar serves as a God's alter ego, and is an extension of the God. The God senses and knows everything the avatar senses and knowsm and vice versa. An avatar is a less powerful version of a deity. Essentially, you can think of them as Demigods. They have a higher rank to the Gods than Angels and Demons.

Major Gods > Minor Gods > Defenders of the Faith > Angels > Demons > 9th-Tier Priests > 6th-Tier Priests > 3rd-Tier Priests > Priests > Initiate > Novice > Disciple > Believer.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 10, 2013, 05:03:19 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.
So technically Myrln would speak Arnum, the diviner god, and Pantxike languages? I think?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 10, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

Understand? Yes, absolutely.

Speak? That's up to you to decide.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2013, 05:14:26 pm »

Rules Masterpost

Spoiler: Calculating HP and MP (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Resolution (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Damage Types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Armor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Item Decay and Quality (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Supernatural Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Offensive Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Experience Points (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighting the Gods (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Guild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Currency (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enchanting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The War Of The Gods (click to show/hide)

If it looks like I missed anything from here, let me know. Sorry, not granting you XP for doing this; I have told you all of this information already and it is your responsibility to understand the rules as stated.

If you want to steal this for your game, let me know and I will (probably) tell you it's okay to do so. You can let me know after you set it up, provided you actually let me know at some point within a few days of setting up.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:33:52 pm by Ross Vernal »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »

By wizard, do you mean master mages heavily skilled in all the magics, or do you just mean spellcasters? Is there a specific threshold?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An Adventurer: A Fantasy Suggestion Game
« Reply #520 on: June 10, 2013, 05:21:58 pm »

Wizards are not just arcane spellcasters who rely upon rituals to exert control over reality. That discipline is known as Ritual Magic, and is only one way of using magic.

There's three flavors of power (Auric, Magic, and Psychic), not counting God Power. Directly mixing these together into a single multidisciplinary reality alteration (such as Pyrokinesis + Elemental Fire Magic) is believed to be impossible, pushes your minds to the brink of insanity, and can strain your body to death. It's impossible and suicidal to combine them.

That being said, Wizards are folk who specialize in combining disciplines. This option is (generally) only taken by people who have mastered an aspect of a certain discipline, possess abilities of a related nature in all of the disciplines used, and have a thorough understanding of the principles behind each. There are very few Wizards, since most of them tend to die horrifically from their own bungling (read: the people who did not bother to study the rules of the universe), and the rest... well, you don't meddle in their affairs, because they are subtle and quick to anger (read: if you piss them off you are usually subject to being deader than disco if you are lucky or forced into a fate worse than death if you are not.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:24:20 pm by Ross Vernal »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 10, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

What happens when wizards go below -10 mana?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 10, 2013, 05:26:11 pm »

That's when they start with Soulburn effects.

It is as of yet unknown how low a Wizard can go, because their MP totals are usually in the high triple-digit range and they know ways to get around or loophole the rules.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:13 pm »

Does this mean that when we reach a critical mass of rules lawyering a wizard will appear?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2013, 05:58:36 pm »

Why yes, yes it does! :D

Remember the 60th-level Unseelie Sidhe Wizard-Lord? He'll show up and ensure hilarity ensues. And yes, he's since gained levels; it's been a few hundred years since the WotG and he's had plenty of time to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 332