Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268247 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread: Adventures in Adventuring
« Reply #705 on: June 19, 2013, 09:29:52 pm »

Well, not you, but I think rather Morgrod.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:14 pm »

In that case, I believe I may have to disagree.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:31 pm »

In that case, I believe I may have to disagree.
We'll be going through the catacombs they will be in anyways. It's faster to help Morgrod finish it when we're going through, instead of waiting for Morgrod to finish the job by (him, her, it)self.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 19, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »

Don't worry. I have secured some 'help' to deal with all that. I will be done in a jiffy and then I'll be at your back with some 'man'power to complete the primary mission. Though I still need the corpse of a law priest.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread: Adventures in Questioning The DM
« Reply #709 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:14 pm »

In this universe, everything has a spirit - the rocks under your feet, the hairs on your head, the bacteria in your stomach, creatures without a soul, etc, etc. Everything. The spirits radiate "mana" (MP), or "mystical internal life-force" (MILF for short. Yes, I know what MILF means. :P) The amount of MILF a spirit releases is based on the life, motion, age, and various other factors of the object/person in question - a thundering waterfall is a source of these energies.  These metaphysical energies are used to affect reality in either of three different ways (plus God Power, which is exactly what it sounds like and totally irrelevant to this discussion.) There's magic, which is a combination of willpower and belief. There's mental abilities, which come from the mind. And then there's auric powers, which come from the body. It is commonly accepted that the subdivisions within each of these powers can be combined without consequence.

Basically, a spirit is the smallest particle in existence. Smaller than bosons, quarks, whatever. Enough of them put together gain a presence appreciable enough to emit MP. Your entire body has a controlling spirit, but it is made of [large number] of individual spirits.

As far as souls go, souls are almost entirely reserved to living beings.  Upon death, they are claimed by their Gods, or just "the gods" in general. This is not always a perfect process, as something is left behind. This is the explanation for some kinds of undead - enough soul was left behind to leave an impression. Sometimes it has a body, sometimes not. In your case, your soul remained in the body after death, because you happen to follow a God who likes loopholes. There's possibly less of it, but there's no "soul measuring device." When trapping a soul for the purposes of evil necromancy, that's what is being gathered - soul fragments, soul crumbs, leftover bits of soul. It's also what collects into soulsteel.  Powers rely on souls to work. A bit of soulstuff goes into every use of powers. Hence, soulburn and soulbreaking.

Technology is somewhere around 1500-1700's, but there's still modern-ish techs around left over from TWoTG. Like, Roak Val's Undercity has taverns that have neon lights, although pretty much nobody understands it. Think clockwork with various magical scientists working, too. There's things that exist that have modern analogues, like iceboxes and radios, operating on magical principles as opposed to standard physics. 

Yes, I know that's a HUGE range. Some places have good tech, others have basically nothing. Think sort of dungeonpunk, sort of steampunk. There are clockwork robots who have soulparticles, by the way. Yes, cannons exist, but they're considered interesting toys. Why have a big, heavy metal cannon, gunpowder, and lots of cannonballs when you can have a fire mage on your ship?

Elementals exist for not just classic Western elements, but for quite a few things filed under "elements". Some are closer to reality - like dwarves being the realism-side of earth elementals, but dryads being on the fantasy-side.  There's generally at least two species made from each element, and the technical classification is some manner of question and debate.

For example, Sprites: are they Feykind, Angelborn, or Elementalkind? Even the Sprites debate that question among themselves. Some say Feykind, others go "Angelborn Elementalkind", so on, so forth. To further complicate it, some folk believe that Humankind and Feykind are just Magic Elementalkind, with Humankind being on the realism side and Feykind on the fantasy-side.

I can refer you to Archlich for a partial, but keep in mind that my list may differ radically.

Generally speaking, there's a lot of variants of common metals. Given that soulsteel is still steel, quite a few are alloys, special subtypes, forged in a certain way, etc.

Just remember that there is a warning to not kill Shin-priests, because of:
a) you'll definitely provoke Zoah and Morgrod to kill you, each for their own reasons
b) you'll become known as enemies to the Cults of some of the most powerful gods in the Pantheon if/when you do
c) Shin might just decide that it isn't the time for his priests to die, and directly bless them with power to lay an epic-level smackdown on you (which is to say, their chances of Shin/Mingan directly intervening are MUCH higher than it is for you upon death.)

Note to self: update rules about death.

Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 19, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »

Wonderful. Can you also explain soulburns and soulbreaking a little more. And what level of enchantments upon things can be made?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 19, 2013, 10:07:21 pm »

Hm, I see... Does make me wonder what the heck Jewel is then, obviously an earth elemental although I'd question Dwarf or Dryad... Unless he's some weird kind of male dryad or something. Or some kind of weird dwarf... Who doesn't really look like a dwarf. I honestly have no clue.

He might not either really, thinking on it.

Care to share a bit about Dwarf and or Dryad culture, or just some general facts?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 19, 2013, 10:12:00 pm »

Wait, neon lighting what.
What exactly was this War of the Gods?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 19, 2013, 10:31:53 pm »

"Soulburn" was thought of by a ritual mage who managed to run out of mana in the process of trying to invent sunblock. All of his attempts failed, and after one spell managed to utterly fail and drain his MP beyond 0, he found the mental/spiritual pain of soulburn to be surprisingly similar to that of his wicked sunburn. Yes, he did end up inventing a spell, and died as a result of an amusing incident involving his sunblock spell, several bottles of alcohol, and a Corinthiian priest.

Soulbreaking doesn't have a comical backstory to it. It is literally breaking your soul in the same sense that nuclear fission breaks apart an atom.

Theoretically, there is no limit to enchanting. In actual practice, there are limits, usually hit around the 7th tier for armor and 5th tier for items and weapons, for items that can hold infinite enchants. Other items simply reach an enchant threshold and cannot contain more.

The cost of enchants go up in MP every level.

This is very rough, but each of the following constitutes a "tier" of enchanting:
- 10 MP pool
- 10% power reduction cost / damage amplification (limit 50%)
- +1 Soak / +1 Damage (generally limited to 5)
- Alignment
- Extra Damage Type (generally limited to 1)
- 2% to-hit / 2% dodge
- Hiding
- Level of sentience
- Anti-degrade 1% (generally limited to 5%)
- Increase degrade 2% (generally limited to 10%)
- 1 spell up to Tier 4

Yes, this is Retconjured in. Had I thought of this system earlier, you guys would have paid a LOT more for enchanted goods. :)

Well, Dryads and Dwarves are just two possible examples. Dryads are basically trees. I'll basically point you at Google for general details. Like, Dryads are shy magical nature-lovers, Dwarves are clever walking livers with beards, etc.

The world was a LOT more advanced then. Modern tech right now RL was basically what you would find in the boonies. It was a golden age. Nearly all life was wiped out - billions of people gone. There's still some areas that are radiated to hell and back from nuclear war, some places that have ancient war machines, and all manner of unknown, dangerous, forbidden things of the past. There was so much lost. It's basically pure luck and a LOT of beings imported from other universes that have current tech being as "advanced" as it is.

I called this "post-apocalyptic fantasy" earlier in the thread because it literally is. Less than 1000 years ago, pretty much everything was dead and/or unsafe, with assorted Gods and higher beings who survived the war protecting the last few fragments of life. There is a reason people are terrified of the Gods and devote so much of the culture to keeping the gods happy and not at war.

Anyway, WoTG? Gods who were killed during a conspiracy. Their domains are unknown, even to their former followers.

Long answer:

Spoiler: The War Of The Gods (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:35:30 pm by Ross Vernal »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 19, 2013, 10:40:08 pm »

Awesome awesome. Can you add most of this stuff to a couple of posts at the start of the thread or some off-site thing like pastebin or googledocs?

So if I find or make a gun, can I enchant it to fire blasts of energy that destroy the victim's very soul?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 19, 2013, 10:48:29 pm »

Search for the term "Masterpost" to find all relevant data. I still need to update a little more with what I just posted.

You can have it enchanted to have an MP pool and cast an MP-destroying spell upon firing, yes.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »

Could you set up a gun that has an MP Pool and uses it to fire blasts that steal mana and add it to the MP Pool?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 19, 2013, 10:53:42 pm »

Fair enough.

Bets on the gunmage hailing from fae-ruled lands now.

Now for a mechanics question. How is armor classified mechanically? By weight/thickness/vague descriptors? By type of armor?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:03 pm »

Search for the term "Masterpost" to find all relevant data. I still need to update a little more with what I just posted.
Searched the entire forum for 'Masterpost'. Got nothing.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 19, 2013, 11:01:26 pm »

Extracted from memory. It's on post 518.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 332