Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268437 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread
« Reply #405 on: June 08, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »

How were our stars in comparison to this?

Zoah: 23 HP -> 40 HP
Myrln: 10 HP -> 21 HP
Tarana: 21 HP -> 34 HP
Morgred: 11 HP -> 21 HP
Neun: 22 HP -> 36 HP

MP relied on my whim. So I can't tell you whether or not it's an increase.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 08, 2013, 05:19:07 pm »

Will weapons do more damage as a response to the possibly changed health and mana system?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 08, 2013, 05:27:53 pm »

The base damage will remain the same. The modifiers for damage will increase, so be descriptive in your attacks for greater damage.

EDIT for examples:

"I stab at him with my sword!" = d6 damage.
"I advance and make a thrust to his midsection!" = d6 damage +
"I set my hand on the ricasso, then lunge forward to drive the blade into his sternum, ready to twist the blade on the way out!" = d6 ++

There's a limit; purple prose isn't going to make you hit harder.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:44:45 pm by Ross Vernal »

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2013, 05:37:53 pm »

I'll take all of my trait and feat boosts as cost-decreasing, then.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2013, 05:49:57 pm »

[3:25:04 PM] Xero: Hell yes to the changes.
[3:25:15 PM] Xero: Oh, I should note. My internet will probably be off for a day or two, because I get paid after the bill comes due and they wont change the date. =/
[3:25:43 PM] dazegoneby: Does this mean I am authorized to post on your behalf as needed to keep Zoah in-character?
[3:26:22 PM] dazegoneby: I will try to keep it to a minimum.
[3:26:30 PM] Xero: Yes, post on my behalf. The damn site is in eternal "loading" state. =/
[3:27:04 PM] dazegoneby: Yeah, I get 504 errors a lot.
[3:30:51 PM] Xero: Site is fun, but unstable at best.

There we go, then.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:51:37 pm by Ross Vernal »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 08, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »

Allllrightythen.
I might have to take some time to decide what to specialize my feats and stuff in. If I apply all of them to cost-reducing, I might end up spending no mana ever.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 08, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »

I'll take all of my trait and feat boosts as cost-decreasing, then.

Duly noted. Fire spells are 1/4 of the original cost; Earth spells are 1/2.

Morgrod and Myrln still need to pick between more damage or less cost, as does everyone else who has specialties.

I might have to take some time to decide what to specialize my feats and stuff in. If I apply all of them to cost-reducing, I might end up spending no mana ever.

If you can get a spell cost down below 1 mana, then it's still going to cost at least 1. Like I said, it always rounds up.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 08, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »

I don't think I have any relevant stats, unless Concentration counts.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 08, 2013, 07:28:21 pm »

Don't think I got any feats or virtues that apply for that.

So Ross, I'm curious, is there different damage dice for weapons, and if so how is it based? Is it based upon weapon size (such as one handed, two handed, small, etc), or the actual kind of weapon? Also, I think I remember that when you laid out the types of damage, there were three different kinds of physical damage, them being Slashing, Bludgeoning, and Piercing. They have any different effects on stuff?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:32 pm »

Hmm...
Y'know what, I'll take all of my feats/abilities/whatever as cost-reducing. I'm dealing plenty of 'damage' as it is, so why not totally spam my spells?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 08, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »

Do you count measures of success Ross?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 08, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »

A very rough guide, going with the primary damage type, is:

Dagger - d3
Short spear - d4
Sword/shortbow - d6
Longbow/mace/hammer/halberd/spear - d8
Axe/heavy crossbow/flintlock - d10
Musket/rifle/pepperbox - d12

Again, this is pretty variable; if you sneak up behind someone and slit their throat, it sure ain't gonna be d3 damage. If you ram your sword into someone's lungs, it's gonna hurt more than d6.

The existing damage types are: Slash, Pierce, Bludgeon, Ballistic, Fire, Cold, Electrical, Acid, Holy, Unholy, Death, Magical, Auric/Psychic, and Unblockable. Obviously, Unblockable damage can't be prevented.

* Bludgeon (usually) doesn’t penetrate the skin, but it can break bones or noses. In real life, head hits frequently cause concussion, brain damage, or death. In cinematic stories, they’re a great way to render someone unconscious. Examples include clubs or fists, and concussive damage (explosions) are also lumped in this category in general.

* Slashing cuts tissue and can sever blood vessels or nerves. Examples include knives, swords, and saws. Rule of thumb here is that cuts bleed. Even if they have partly healed, cuts can re-open under stress. Bleeding wounds provide you with a terrific dramatic device to increase tension, as they add that “clock-is-ticking” element to the Scene. Can the character succeed before he bleeds to death?

* Piercing comes from wounds that penetrate body tissue deeply. Punctures are hard to heal. Further, if they occur on the torso or the head, can damage internal organs as well. Examples of puncturing attacks include, arrows, knife/sword thrusts, and axes. Ballistic is a subtype of this, and is usually more dramatic.

* Burns results from exposure to extreme heat, cold, some electrical damage, acid. Burns are extremely painful and take a long time to heal. Scars can be incredibly disfiguring.

* Special damage is stuff that doesn’t fall into the other categories. Effects are highly variable, from harmless to fatal. Examples include tranquilizer drugs, poison, nerve gas, electrical damage, drowning, and radiation.

In general, armors defend against a few types of damage, and protect against some better than others. A breastplate is good against slashing and piercing (4 damage absorbed/soaked), of less use against bludgeoning and ballistic (2 soak), and does fuck-all against anything else. A Bracelet of the Elements provides 4 soak against Fire/Cold/Electric, and stops nothing of physical damage. So on, so forth.

Define "measures of success."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:48:55 pm by Ross Vernal »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »

Some systems give bonuses for beating a check by an amount. This means bonuses to things like hit roll are more useful, because there's more of an advantage to upping them than just being able to hit nimbler things.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 08, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »

The crit ranges are hidden values. Natural 20's automatically deal maximum damage and have a chance to deal additional damage/special effects upon their victims.

When a natural 20 attack is met with a natural 20 dodge, both are re-rolled. If it happens again, then it's just max damage without the special effects.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:20 pm »

Good to know, specially with Jewel's virtue. I'm going to wager the damage halving probably takes place after armor has ran its course, since the virtue represents his earthen body and any damage past the armor is what actually hits him.

Another question I suppose is this: Are there actually penalties to movement/agility with armor? I imagine only the heavy stuff incurs anything noticeable, unless its rather poorly made or inflexible/not very moveable by purpose for some reason.

Thanks for all the answers, sorry for burying you in questions.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 332