Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268711 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures in Long Delayed Updates
« Reply #4035 on: August 20, 2014, 12:44:42 am »

HEY! Hey! Hey. Undead totally have feelings.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: August 20, 2014, 07:34:34 am »

:P

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: August 20, 2014, 07:45:10 am »

Morgrod invented the emotion harvester, after all...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4038 on: August 20, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »

Welp, seeing as how I've harped about it in this thread before, damascus steel seems fitting- fancy material but not artifact-level, point of origin is Damascus, and it's freakin wavy like water. Motifs-- snakes as seen on the golems, some bands of fancy geometric patterns like those found in mosques. Anything else?

OH WAIT, ROSS!
Is there a metal out there that acts as a magnet/sponge for arcane powers? Specifically, those affecting the weapon directly, (not fire/lightning but sunder/transmog).
I'm thinking the shield could use some sacrificial zincs.
Bonus points if it's common & cheap.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:28:47 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: August 21, 2014, 08:18:26 pm »

I haven't dreamed it up yet, but sure! Permission granted to invent it; we're all creators here.

Do it!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: August 21, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »

Hmm, is there a material currently in the rotation that drains magic? That seems like an interesting one to have.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: August 21, 2014, 08:30:37 pm »

I imagine also with a slightly negative reputation considering magic equals soul/life energy here
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:51:12 pm by Xanmyral »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: August 21, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

Indeed. Voidsteel or somesuch.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: August 21, 2014, 08:32:06 pm »

Actually, yes.  The original material of the Blades of Mortality were forged from the material.

It's an alloy, actually. Or any of several alloys, which are similar in composition. My non-online DM notes are on my old, dead HD. I can connect the SATA to USB, and see that the files exist, the problem is that the file saying where the files are is corrupt and the drive is fragmented.

Plus, I still have to convince it to give me administration privileges. That's why I haven't been posting. I'm sorry!

Also, today is Lover Girl's birthday. Saturday is my best friend's birthday.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: August 21, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »

I wonder if I can "acquire" one of those...

The idea of parrying lightning with a sword like it's a lightsaber is just cool.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »

There are circumstances when that would work.

All the same, creativity can trump it. Create Water is the poor man's Detect Invisibility and there's always a loophole.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4046 on: August 22, 2014, 01:13:23 am »

Alright, so, the zinc is an anode & therefore wants an electron- when it acquires one, it tells its fellow zinc atoms to pound salt and floats off into the water as a zinc-hydroxide.

If such a mechanism could be used with spirit energy- and that's the big if,

Beryllium.
Rare because it's usually consumed in the star it's forged in (atomic number of only 4), & it's a component in Beryl, a base of several gemstones (notably Emeralds), but it isn't responsible for the color of the gem.
To make the studs, you've gotta take the garbage/castoff bits of Beryl gemstones, grindmup, & then re-compress them into the shape you need.
If you're fuckin fancy though, you'll use Goshenite crystals.

Options for magic saturation:
A. The Beryl flakes/gases off as a new beryllium-magic alloy
B. The Beryl changes color, depending on the type of magic absorbed. Especially cool/useful with the solid goshenite crystals.
The gem value of goshenite is relatively low. However, goshenite can be colored yellow, green, pink, blue and in intermediate colors by irradiating it with high-energy particles. The resulting color depends on the content of Ca, Sc, Ti, V, Fe, and Co impurities.

One idea for those crystals.

I'm thinking both. If it's no longer trapped in a crystal matrix, the Beryl/Goshenite just escapes as a gas.
This is important, as seating the goshenite in an enchanted object directly would just impair the object's functioning until the stud is saturated. (Wouldn't stop the functioning as that would be OP- limiting the inflow this way still allows functional stoppage with enough Beryl, but drastically increases the amount of effort to do so)
So instead you have to seat it in non-reactive/insulating metals. Better yet, in the case of goshenite crystals, seat the crystals inside of a shaped Beryl stud inside of a non-reactive setting. If the crystal takes a heavy-enough magical blow to saturate it, (as the charge would be distributed amongst the entire Beryl stud), the crushed&shaped part of the stud gasses off all at once and the solid crystal is left to fall out of the over-sized setting, protecting the user from accidental discharge upon blocking a physical attack.

Further, let's set the absorption to an exponent of the crystal's volume. So a speck holds hardly anything, a cubic inch would hold 6-8 medium fireballs, an epic 6-cubic-inch gem would hold thousands of middling spells or perhaps a few wizard-level castings.
Justify this as energy trying to crowd around the beryllium. In a small structure, there's hardly anything keeping the Be from reacting & flying off. But as the crystal gets larger, it wants to hold itself together more, and so more energy has to be lined up & jockeying for the Be before it can be wrestled free.
Problem arises: then the crystals would sublimate as well.
Trick to get around that: as the beryllium fills up, it gets more & more volatile. Smaller crystals can't cope quite so well, so for small arrays they'll wind up busting at ~85% saturation. The efficiency ramps up quick, so by the time they're rice-sized they're up to 95%. This way grain coarseness is important and small bits always go poof before large bits hmm
---
So, if you're a wizard & you've got a stupid-large gem (let's say a cubic meter), using egg-size collection arrays to squeeze out that last tenth of a % can be a 100-billion-wizard-spells difference.
Different grits also serve as measures of total % absorbed of course, so each time an array is hit it'll off-gas at least a little of the fine powdery bits that make up the setting.
It's also very possible for the rice-sized bits to survive along with the large crystal if the threshold is just barely reached & the smaller pieces sublimate away.

How to make a stud that can absorb at least one middling spell?
If pressed & held together, goshenite forms a sort of psuedo-lattice that provides marginal absorptive capabilities. Different shapes are better, flaws detract from the total to some degree, but it gets a roughly 1:1 ratio of storage capacity to how much of the shape is realized. So a triangle is worth half a rhombus.
Best shape is the hexagonal prism, the natural shape of Goshenite.
For small pressed shapes, they hold up to 1/2 the charge a genuine crystal could, and the potential falls off rapidly.
Where crystals have an equation like... 1.25x4, the pressed shapes are (5x)1/2.

The world is filled with MILF, why haven't the gems all sublimated?

I do not know.
It's just too low-level to sublimate anything but pure Beryllium metal & single-molecule powder. Like voltage or something.

Strange behaviors of beryl/goshenite:
Affinity to magic, accounts for absorbing the spirit energy.
Affinity to itself, accounts for gems redistributing their energy according to their individual needs. Each individual particle fills according to its % total.
Hmm
---
Magical Psuedo-lattices.

I'm not done tinkering with this, rewrote it a couple times, but gotta sleep.

Merp.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:16:31 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: August 22, 2014, 08:34:55 am »

*applause *

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36:42 am »

...That is awesome and I REALLY need to up my game. *goes digging for inspiration*

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4049 on: August 22, 2014, 01:00:08 pm »

*GrizzlyAdamz takes a bow with a flourish
I think, that leaves only one question unanswered, which is why the gems haven't all sublimated due to MILF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:17:37 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 332