Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268850 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread - Adventures In Delayed Updates
« Reply #2775 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:04 pm »

Good luck, Ross.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: December 12, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »

Best of luck Ross, I know you can do it.

If you ever Soulbreak, Rolep, you should do it by playing the greatest song ever to exist.
Heartily concur.

On that note, I've been kicking around an idea for a backup character: a mage hunter kind of guy. His major ability (most likely critical and then some) is 'Apotheosis Denied', denying casters the ability to soulbreak. 'Course, this now conflicts with my idea for also wanting my backup character to be a giant, and my other one for a firefly kin. Bah.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 12, 2013, 05:37:08 pm »

If I ever need a backup character, I've been tossing around an idea for a Wraith adventurer. Ability to fly and immunity to corporeal obstacles, but inability to interact with the physical world. Kills foes with spells and by leeching their mana.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: December 12, 2013, 05:39:35 pm »

You'd have to be careful with mages though, if you leech their mana too much then you just soulbreak them and they will most likely kill everyone around them. Works on warriors or those who don't do magic though.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 12, 2013, 05:41:53 pm »

True. Although I might be able to try to "steal" their soulbreak.

"Suck out your soul, then use it to immolate your friend."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: December 12, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »

Ooh, an interesting idea. I think our backup characters would be good friends, heh.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:21 pm »

Actually, I feel like making that character now, just for fun. Here goes:
Spoiler: Kael-Thana-Zuul (click to show/hide)

Wow, that's rather amazingly powerful, with the right caveats covered.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:33:25 pm by Remuthra »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2782 on: December 12, 2013, 10:11:43 pm »

IIRC we got into a debate over the OP-ness of said critter specifically when dealing with warrior-types. Hardened vs free-flowing mana ya?

Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: December 12, 2013, 10:48:40 pm »

I agree that mana should be harder to mess with with those who don't use it, but that draws a bit back into my honest dislike for the power qualms between magic and melee. Thus I still quest for a melee-oriented soulbreak sort of thing.

I do kinda agree with Grizzly about the Critical Flaw, take Jewel for instance. He takes half damage from slashing, piercing, and ballistics, and that is a critical and a major rolled into one. The flaw really sounds more like a virtue. Its too bonus, not enough minus. I think the silver flaw is great though.

My idea for a character is similar in some ways, but I would go about it differently personally. It's probably not the greatest, but hey, isn't too bad. Probably.

Spoiler: Insert Name Here (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:51:11 pm by Xanmyral »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:01 pm »

First one is a bit much.

Second set is cool, but nothing can stop a soulbreak aside from VERY specific situations. You'll note the Gods failed to stop it before.

Hmm... maybe a LP pool instead of an HP/MP pool.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2785 on: December 12, 2013, 11:37:32 pm »

Myral, I'd say the flaws are a bit heavy. The major can count as a critical and the critical could go for a super- you'd be morose, weakened and very vulnerable to soul-damage at any time you haven't just absorbed a mage.

LP pool?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: December 13, 2013, 12:01:21 am »

What are those situations?

Hm... It just seems like one would be hard pressed to be a mage hunter unless they have a way to deal with soulbreaking. I mean, in a magic heavy and magic permeated society, there's no way there isn't an organization somewhere that deals specifically with magic users. How would one exist without a way to deal with soulbreaking though... Hm...

Best I got of an idea makes them functionally no different than an assassins guild, overuse of poisons, ambushes, etc. Although I wonder if one lacks the means to cast normally, if they could cast while soulbroken. Silence or paralysis might work I guess.

@Grizzly: Technically, if Apotheosis Denied worked, he's effectively immune to mana damage because he can't soulbreak. 'Course, that comes with its own set of drawbacks due to the whole 'can't cast while at zero or below,' and 'mana gains is halved.' The idea was a sort of 'mana vampire' mage hunter kind of dude. I'm surprised one didn't already exist, so I figured I'd make one up to cover that. In a way.

He could go negative -infinity mana and still be fine if Apotheosis Denied worked. Never figured him to use magic anyhow, but I thought of how he craves magic might be a fun touch. I don't believe all enchanted items worked on charges (I may probably be wrong there) so I figured adding that in the first wouldn't be too bad.

@Life Pool: Considering mana is fluffed as soul, and soul is kinda short hand for life, having one go hand in hand wouldn't be too bad. Although it draws into question health issues, as you could wind up with mages as beefy as warriors even though they got a CON of ten or less.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: December 13, 2013, 12:07:40 am »

I meant for those ghost types.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:01 am »

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Apparitions don't exactly have a body after all. Makes using spells a bit scary, since you'd be literally using yourself then.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: December 13, 2013, 12:16:45 am »

Instant kills, poison, sleep murders, etc.

Stopping it? I'll just say that certain rituals are involved. If you can convince am enemy to go stand in the middle of your circle of power, though, you might add well just dominate them.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 332