Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 267946 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An Adventurer OOC: Beta Party has 2 slots open!
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2013, 10:33:25 pm »

Truly the best reasons for a slow post.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2013, 12:31:39 am »

By the way, I am strongly tempted to (attempt to) tropify the party. I can't quite do the Five Man Band trope, since there's just enough difference to throw it off, but still.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2013, 12:39:10 am »

You can try, could probably find a lot of things that suit their situation. ...Maybe, been forever since I've been to TVTropes, just go every now and then when I get bored, usually to use it to look for stuff I wanna see with specific things in it. I figured they probably added everything under the sun by now.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2013, 12:59:09 am »

They added a trope for that phrase.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2013, 02:54:55 pm »

Figured I should ask some questions.

What is done to indicate different languages? You mentioned a lot of them, but I'm not sure how you go about it, and it would be useful to know as I'm planning for Jewel to only be a sorta-passing speaker of whatever-the-trade/common-language-is. I'm figuring just do something along the lines of "the earth elemental mutters something under its breathe in a strange language. It kinda sounds exasperated." If actual conversations happen in said other language, I'm figuring using an symbol or something like "|OH! You speak my language?|"

I imagine the trade (or common, or whatever you call it) language is based and represented with english, but I wonder as to the other languages as I want to try and figure out what Jewel's native language would be. I imagine languages are based upon region?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2013, 03:12:27 pm »

I haven't particularly thought about that, aside from "(s)he said in <language>." Basically, specify what language is spoken if it's not Common/English.

But here's the descriptions I have done of the main languages.

Tradespeak is a polyglot language, consisting mostly of nouns, common verbs like "go", "eat", "drink", etc, gestures, and grunting.

Common is more or less English. Celcian is linguistically similar, but heavier on consonants. The priest has a Celcian accent.

Chi Meng is akin to Mandarin Chinese.

Roaken is the language of the Roak Republic, as well as its allies. Ancient Roaken (considered a dead language) has been found written on scrolls and on ruins around the world, suggesting Roak's former dominance. Similar to Latin.

Demoran originates from Demorau. The primary Anthekahan language, it is similar to Arabic. This is the main language of the area in which the party is.

Elven: The language of the elves. The language lends itself more towards ethereal and metaphysical concepts than with practical terminology. For example, there are are fifteen words for "process" and only three words for "attack."

Dark Elven: The language of dark elves, moon elves, and blood elves. A branch of the main Elven language.

Cults: Each religion has its own language developed to facilitate communication among chapters in different lands, to conceal secrets from other sects, and to express certain concepts that are not easily vocalized in other languages. For example, the Mingan cult language is basically sounds that resembles hissing and breathing, and is notable for not actually requiring a tongue, teeth, or vocal cords for fluency. The Coranthiian speech has an average of seven or more words for even simple concepts or objects, with up to hundreds for more complicated concepts. For example, there are hundreds of words used to describe particular crimes, each of which depends on how or why the crime was committed.

I have quietly assumed that Gamerlord's character and Alaric spoke the cult language, by the way.

Senfasti: A hideously complicated language, Senfasti is spoken (and visually expressed) by the Machines on Senfast and is the official language.

We have a party today and family visiting from SF, so don't expect many posts from me.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »

So what would you suggest for my purposes? I'm looking for a language that some people might know, but wouldn't be common typically. A cult language would be much too specific for Jewel, although he might know one based upon his false deity, it being the language he prefers to speak in would be too much as it sounds like something he'd keep quiet about if there even is one of his faux-religion.

It's really tempting to have him know Tradespeak instead of Common, as that seems more or less what I was going for.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2013, 03:35:57 pm »

The language of sea-based water elementals? Deep Elven? Sea Elven?

Tradespeak is a good one.

Afk, family.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2013, 03:46:39 pm »

Also, I am totally imagining Jewel as a follower of the God That Never Was. Because following a god that nobody else has ever heard of and the (non)existence of a powerful and forgotten god have overlaps.

You can absolutely ignore this, it's just headcanon. xD

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2013, 04:04:33 pm »

Hah, certainly sounds amusing and would probably derive the same result. Perhaps a fringe tale or two survived in the ripple somehow, nothing direct about the deity but more an suggestion of its existance, which over time resulted in the myth-goddess due to mistranslations, exaggerations and so such. I'd say that over such dilution from time it probably doesn't resemble much of anything related to said deity. The roots of Jewel's 'Mountain Mother' religion is vague on purpose, so lots of things can fill those gaps as possibilities or potentials, but it changes little of its current state.

As for languages though, at first I sighed and tried to ponder of an idea but after a bit of thinking... Sea-based water elemental's language... I think I can make that work actually. Perhaps something akin to how while someone born to a foreign country to those of their parents, they learn the native language of the region but retain some native culture brought over by their family. 'Course, that brings up issues of his "horrible fear of deep water" thing, so I'll need to think on it if I go with it.

Any other suggestions for languages? It would be a language a linguist would know, or someone from his area would, but I imagine that it wouldn't have much of a following like a main language.

Also, side question. I've been wondering this for a while, is Elementalkind like a straight up elemental, or more of a mixture between human and elemental?

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »

I know it's not been talked about as a language, but what about a more elemental, or ancient form of the Dwarvish language? That way, a linquist could recognise some dwarven words or styles but never the whole language.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2013, 04:41:14 pm »

I know it's not been talked about as a language, but what about a more elemental, or ancient form of the Dwarvish language? That way, a linquist could recognise some dwarven words or styles but never the whole language.

That could work very well actually, assuming dwarfs are a thing in this universe. They'd fall under Feykind, perhaps?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2013, 05:29:47 pm »

Dwarves are Elementalkind of the stone variety, while dryads would be of the wood variety. Both would be filed under "earth", though.

Other languages, as of yes without details:

Sidh: The protocol and phrases needed to survive among the fey, and for the stronger to assert their well on the weaker while being incredibly polite.

Old (High) Elven: The language of the high elves.
Ancient (Sun) Elven: The language of the sun elves.
Aquatic (Deep) Elven: Spoken entirely by the Deep Elves. Glub glub click!

Dwarven: The language of the dwarves. It has a lot of gutturals and lends itself to a rhythm well. Contrary to popular opinion, it does not have a million words for rock; it has names for kinds of rock, how they sit, its heat, how it was formed...

Kind: Less a language than a few shared noise-concept-scents.

Elementare: The shared set of sounds, gestures, and manifestations that form the common languages language of the elementalkind.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2013, 06:04:57 pm »

That took a while.
BETA PARTY APPLICANT!

Name:Rurail Schythold
Race: Kinkind (fish)
Height:5'10"
Weight:285lb
Appearance:
A large humanoid twisted into the shape of a fish. His head is bald and quite flat, the top running into a snout that houses a large square jaw, small eyes that glint with intelligence behind. His torso is very human, with the exception of a heavy, protruding ribcage. His upper limbs are just like a human's and end in 4-fingered slightly webbed hands. His lower limbs are powerfully built and double-jointed like a horse's, ending in very large, three-digit feet that resemble a bird's claws. Works cited- heavier-set version of that.
In movement, he's a toe-walker, using a long, heavy tail to act as a balance; because of this he's quicker than most first think.
When not moving, his tail is used almost as a third leg, sometimes coiling slightly to provide support, or bowing down straight back to touch the ground at it's median, the free end subject to swimming-like fidgeting motions.
When moving, it has a certain cat-like behavior. Not nearly as light & flexible, but certainly "animated", for lack of a better word.

Strength 18, Stamina 14, Agility 17, Speed 18, Endurance 16, Willpower 10, Intelligence 15, Perception 8
HP/MP: 32/24 (10+16+6+0)/(5+((10+15=25/2=12.5))+6+0)
Level: Adventurer 2, Spelunker 1, Body Talker 1
Virtues:
Major- Adaptation: Rurail has clearly spent a lot of time on the surface- his feet have huge callouses, & he can handle his weight; his movement is much more fluid than most fishkin.
Major- Fishfolk: Rurail is at home underwater, and gets many benefits when below the surface. His particular breed is also blessed with longevity, living more than twice as long as a human. He's generally stronger than he looks.
Major- Stoic: Rurail doesn't become frightened, get mad, show pain or startle easily
Minor- Patient: Rurail is seemingly unphased by long waits, and can keep focused for a long time.

Flaws:
Major- Water dependant: Though rurail has grown accustomed to life on the surface, he still suffers penalties if he goes more than a few days without a soak.
Minor- Touchy/feelies: Rurail is hard-put to contain his curiosity sometimes. This has gotten him into trouble in the past.
Minor- Ponderous: Rurail is patient, yes, but he also takes his time when it isn't necessary.
Minor- Mute: When out of water, his vocal cords slowly dry out. Speaking aggravates this, and with continuous use his voice becomes a painful, raspy croak.

Hobbies:
Major- Leatherworking: Out of necessity, Rurail's learned to make, mend & modify his own armor.
Minor- BBoy!: Those gipsies sure knew how to bust a move.

Feats:
Spelunker: When in ruins or while dungeon-diving, Rurail exhibits a certain intuition, and his situational awareness is improved.
Coordinated Anatomy: Thanks to his practiced skill with controlling his lower limbs, Rurail is able to accelerate very quickly & make high vertical jumps.

Weapon style is Halberd, and also carries a Medium steel(iron if too low-level)-plated heater shield in case of ranged enemies.
Armor is a medium-light mix of custom-fit studded/splinted leather armor. Only the dorsal side of his tail is covered, with straps at motility-conscious spots to secure it. Studs & splints are made of steel.

Additional pertinent info:

-With Myral's consent, (still in effect yes?), Rurail has been kinda fascinated with Jewel since he joined- just started following him around, they've been attached at the hip since.
-Has done a bit of traveling, speaks Common, Tradespeak & bits of a couple others as well.

-Religion:
Coranthiir- Grew up following him after his parents. Finds him agreeable and his morals a strength.
Pellegrin- Feels a particular affinity to him, having been exposed to him nearly as much as Coranthiir & understanding his virtues better. More important to him than Coranthiir, though he doesn't make this public knowledge
Eyilana- When you grow up looking for secrets & exploring subterranean passages, you better remember Eyilana.

Goals & Comments (fyi Mr. Ross):

Critical: Become Legendary+5 Tinker.
Major: Learn more about Pellegrin.
Major: Explore ALL the cool things.
Major: Pick up some dedicated lockpicking.
Minor: Learn more about Eyilana.
Minor: Improve Leatherworking
Underwater bonuses mostly deal with stamina, speed, agility, & perception. Plus gill-lungs.
Spelunker skills mostly have to do with uncanny dodges/helping others uncannily dodge. Sort of a precognition. Hopefully secret areas as well, (general dungeoneering). High-jump, swimming, speed etc complement this focus as well.
Water dependance is a major flaw- think light headache, cracked/peeling skin, a coating of viscous slime (sunscreen/poreblocker) on heavily-exposed surfaces (dorsal side of head/torso/arms/tail). Things that get in the way, sometimes badly, but not crippling (at first).
The Ponderous flaw should decrease how much I get done in pass-time events; say 5-10%?

Edits:
-Changed Caligraphy to Leatherworking
-Combined 'good natured' & 'stoic' into a major 'stoic' virtue
-Removed mining equipment
-Changed religion
-Changed What? ('can talk underwater' kind of thing) to Mute (a 'slowly dries out' kind of thing)
-Added tradespeak to languages
-Added halberd & shield to inventory
-Now with more BREAKDANCING!
-Changed armor
-Added lockpicking goal
-Updated character notes
-Switched feat & virtue status of 'Fishkin' & 'Spelunker'
-Added Tinker goal and bumped Leatherworking down to minor
-Changed age
-Swapped two points from str to agi, addendum to description, updated HP/MP
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:17:41 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »

Dwarven is nigh perfect to what I'm looking for, as is Elementare, although the latter sounds more like a language that isn't so much based upon sound. Dwarven gives me an excuse to have Jewel speak in rhythm though. I'm thinking what Max suggested, Dwarven with an Elementare flair to it. (I'm probably going to kill myself later when I have to write him speaking in Dwarven and make everything rhyme and have rhythm.)

However, I do wonder what the difference is between Jewel and a dwarf. I wouldn't say he is one, but they probably have quite a lot of similarities I imagine.

@Grizzly: 'Course! I can see them being quite the funny pair considering one needs water to function and the other is afraid of any liquid up to chest height on him. Which isn't that far up honestly with him.

As a comment though, are we suppose to specify any interesting equipment the character has on their sheet? If so, I need to do some editing. Nothing major, but he does have some cultural trappings and tools of the trade.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 332