Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 332

Author Topic: Adventuring Party OOC Thread - Adventures in Hiatus  (Read 268158 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Be An OOC Thread: Adventures in Adventuring
« Reply #1230 on: July 09, 2013, 01:51:33 am »

Okay.
Should we bold our actions or do you have an idea of what we're doing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 09, 2013, 01:54:03 am »

I think I managed to understand it.  :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: July 09, 2013, 01:54:56 am »

Okay.
Sig! Onol

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 09, 2013, 04:04:11 am »

Ooh! Almost forgot - Myrln will initiate combat by introducin himself as Paxter Jeevinsnob, and he and his companions are here by the authority of Random Gibberish, an organization dedicated to helping sparrows fly south for winter.

Code words underlined.
Sig! Onol

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1234 on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:00 am »

Hrm, on the 'mana-health', I think non-magic users should get a bonus for having 'hardened' mana- since they don't use it, it should be harder for it to be damaged/shared. This should just be a natural property of utilizing one's mana.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 09, 2013, 12:10:27 pm »

So...make the guys who would be pretty tough to kill physically hard to kill magically too?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1236 on: July 09, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »

More like make it equally tough, (aka, not the mana-drainer's harem). It has it's drawbacks too- it stunts sharing their mana, (unless they want to develop that ability), and provides a barrier to ubiquitous magic-users. (& ubiquitous mana-drainers)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:29:56 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 09, 2013, 12:54:29 pm »

It just doesn't make sense to me. When you don't use something, it doesn't get harder and tougher, it atrophies. Harder to share mana, sure, but it's already difficult to share it. I would think that mana-users would have mana which they could control more easily, allowing them to prevent it from being drained or give it out as they wanted.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1238 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »

Mmm, there's a couple different ways I could go about making an analogy. I'll just ramble:

When I wrote it out, I was thinking like it was a chunk of rubber-material-- say you're using it all the time; it's flow-ey, easy to manipulate, use & expend, like water. If you don't, it sets, turns into more of a solid mass since it's all backed up and just sitting there. You have to learn to work it before you can use it. (for mana-draining, it would be like trying to draw gel through a straw.)

Alternative 1: Let's say it's kinda like blood-flow, or it 'heals' like a pierced-ear; if you're constantly piercing it, it'll be a lot easier to draw blood than if you have to start a fresh wound. (mana-draining is just creating the vacuum, not the wound, (which could open up magical research possibilities))

Alternative 2: Batteries. You've got a battery sitting there, if you're using it the contacts will be bright, shiney metal. If ya let it sit, the anodes get all corroded & junk. ('polishing' would take quite the effort, & require maintenance..)

I'm thinking of it more like a resource or material, not a muscle.

-On magic-users: They would be more vulnerable to mana-draining, but have that big 'don't go too far' mechanic of soul-breaking.
Meanwhile, unchecked, mana-draining/damage is unblockable & exploits a naturally lower bar- everyone and their mother would pick this, armies would be based around the concept & picking a pure-melee adventurer would be foolish.
Plus, mana-damage is usually an 'anti-mage' skill.
Badges of honor

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:21 pm »

I agree with Grizzly, because Mana is ALSO showcasing ones strength of soul. Warriors with great hearts tend to have a lot of soul in what they do, but they don't do magic, therefore don't have a lot of mana. I think Grizzly's analysis of water soul and solid soul is particularly clever, though it'll come to a GM decision in the end, and he may already have it planned.

Bear in mind that magic users will likely create spells to make them more resistant to losing there mana/souls ANYWAY, so non-magical users will ALWAYS have to worry about it more.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 09, 2013, 05:19:34 pm »

Its all kinda wishy-washy to me really. Its an interesting thing to use, but it takes a lot on assumption honestly. Usually when you see magic used in this game, I'm seeing the flashy kind, like fire balls or lightning or necromancy, but you don't really see manaburning. Its a thing, we know that because we've seen abilities that bring mana down, but I recall seeing 'may not bring below zero' modifiers on the spell Renn used to bring mana down, which means that it is indeed something Ross accounted for...

We don't know if there's a way to protect against such though honestly. We assume there isn't a way to soak mana-damage but that's because we've never seen it, I wouldn't be surprised if we run across it in some way or another.

It does rather leave those non-magical of the group more vulnerable than typical, but I imagine that if you're doing that you're drawing their attention and their sword will come your way, so I suppose its a thing that kind of evens itself out I think. Sorta. I doubt someone can manage to bring someone from twenty mana to soulbreaking in a single round, but then again I don't really know. Its something we should be careful about though, no doubt.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:21 am »

Well I guess that counts as not posting ...
Sig! Onol

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: July 10, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »

So yeah. I'm planning on doing updates today.

After I get those done, think I might be able to interest some folk in a game of Tribes RPG? Free and legal to download and play. Newbie guide, too.

If I do end up hosting, I'll announce beforehand. Probably gonna be called B12RPG for the server name and "Dorf" as the password.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 10, 2013, 01:26:42 pm »

Sure, why not? Can this be run on Linux?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 10, 2013, 01:33:12 pm »

I believe so. Several mainstream servers are hosted with Linux.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22901 - 1.3 and beyond has bronze

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2792 - 1.11 has platinum
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 332