Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are Chickens grazers?  (Read 9261 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Are Chickens grazers?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27:31 am »

they tend to eat cockroaches and such when they eat anything, not rats, so no. You might want to try some falcons or owls or something for that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 07:39:59 am »

Maybe if they could only eat certain types of vermin they could be more balanced. Then it wouldn't be such a cheat for challenge fortresses in arctic or desert conditions. And maybe have them eat seeds instead if the right kind of vermin aren't indigenous.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 08:02:37 am »

They have a tag called [GOBBLE_VERMIN_CLASS:EDIBLE_GROUND_BUG].
Which is only on ants, beetles, and roachs.  So I'd guess no, you'll be likely be overrun by lungfish.

Peacocks are the Cadillac of egg layers.  Of course, I raise them for meat, leather, and bones and not eggs so much.  And when they overrun your fort, you can declare a cocksplosion. Which is fun to say.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:25:37 am »

cocksplosion.

Immaturity aside. Chickens are a good beginners food source for your first fort. I only use them... to build robots :D... hehe... yeah and also training them for war but ya know, that's personal

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:56 am »

Can eggs be cooked with other eggs?  Like an egg biscuit?  Consisting only of eggs?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:09 am »

Can eggs be cooked with other eggs?  Like an egg biscuit?  Consisting only of eggs?

Yes actually, it makes a +baked bad+ if I'm correct, I don't really check all my items unless its a masterwork(or a door)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:40 am »

You can even have omelettes with different eggs and dwarven flour ... That's haute cuisine. :D

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:55 am »

You can even have omelettes with different eggs and dwarven flour ... That's haute cuisine. :D

flour in omelets?  what?  cheese, organ meat for best omelet.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »

Oh well, sorry, pancakes then ... :D

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:22 pm »

What would you consider to be the ideal amount of chickens to have before I start harvesting their eggs?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 12:40:43 pm »

10.  For a new fort.  Just let a batch or two hatch.

I keep about 10 adult females alive per species, and have multiple ones if possible.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 01:26:04 pm »

I took 10 turkeys, split them into two groups of 5 - one group gets locked in to breed new turkeys to a) replace the laying birds (they don't live very long) and b) make leather and meat, and one group stays in an unlocked room to make eggs. 5 turkeys produced a ridiculous amount of eggs. 10 chickens won't make as many eggs but you might still find you're getting a ridiculous amount of eggs.
Pages: 1 [2]