Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are Chickens grazers?  (Read 9262 times)

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
Are Chickens grazers?
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:18:06 pm »

I looked on the wiki and I didn't find any information about whether or not chickens graze.
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Are Chickens grazers?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:18:28 pm »

Not grazers. Hence why eggs are quite OP as a food source.
This is a blank sig.

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:40:38 pm »

So I could create massive underground farms with just chickens?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »

... and enough nest boxes.
This is a blank sig.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

Turkeys have a higher average egg count though, which makes them better for farming. There's a table on the wiki somewhere comparing average egg count, size (for meat and leather) and time to grow into adults for the different domesticated egg-laying birds, but I can't find it now.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 02:50:32 pm »

Turkeys are pretty broken as a food source.  10-15 turkeys fed 100+ in my last fort almost exclusively.  All of this from within a single room with 15 or so nest boxes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:58:40 pm »

Embark with 9 Turkey hens + 9 plump helmet spawns = fastest food overflow I managed.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:18:07 pm »

Turkeys have a higher average egg count though, which makes them better for farming. There's a table on the wiki somewhere comparing average egg count, size (for meat and leather) and time to grow into adults for the different domesticated egg-laying birds, but I can't find it now.

But that's just for when you in an inexplicable fit of sanity want to take only _one_ type of fowl. And why do that, when you can have a full flock of chickens, one of ducks, one of geese, one of turkeys, one of guineafowl and one of peafowl? And if you place some cage traps and get lucky, you can add ravens and keas as well as emus to the mix. Good thing psittacosis and other zoonoses haven't been introduced yet...

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:53 am »

But that's just for when you in an inexplicable fit of sanity want to take only _one_ type of fowl. And why do that, when you can have a full flock of chickens, one of ducks, one of geese, one of turkeys, one of guineafowl and one of peafowl? And if you place some cage traps and get lucky, you can add ravens and keas as well as emus to the mix. Good thing psittacosis and other zoonoses haven't been introduced yet...
That's how my last fort "died". Assembling a large collection of any bird (and other egg layers) I could get my hands on, FPS went down until the game was not playable anymore. Nevertheless, I still love the idea of providing the greatest possible variety of food.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:53 am »

You can reduce FPS issues a bit by using cages. Only the egg layers need to be in a pasture, so you can put the males and the chicks in cages, and when the chicks are grown either butcher them straight from the cage or move them to the pasture.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:35 am »

and just destroy any meal that isn't a masterwork to reduce item clutter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:55 am »

Do chickens actually eat anything? I mean I could understand if they ate seeds, but I never saw any indication that they eat at all.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:02:06 am »

If you watch closely, you can see some sort of vermin spawning and dissappearing around poultry. They are supposed to pick worms and stuff, I think.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:46 am »

Yeah, chickens are supposed to be eating vermin I believe.  Like in reality: chickens can largely feed and care for themselves.

The trouble is, the game doesn't realize that 25 chickens in a 10x10 room 500 feet underground probably couldn't.  It just completely removes the need for them to eat, just like any other non grazing animal.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:59 am »

Would chicken/turkeys etc allow us to ignore the need for cats? I was told no, but i never actually tried.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: [1] 2