Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: First Evil Fortress questions thread  (Read 3071 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: First Evil Fortress questions thread
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04:49 pm »

One thing that I've been curious about...

My entire embark is reanimating (I think, I'm pretty sure, it's Terrifying all the way across), but I had a cat die as FB bait in my cave-in trap. The cave-in annihilated the FB corpses (I'm pretty sure, I certainly couldn't find anything, though I might get a zombie FB when I mine out the bottom z-level to reset the trap!), but the cat was out of range. I haven't seen it get back up though, and I've already had everyone de-construct the 20 or so cage traps that were also in the room with the cat. I know I'm deep enough that the Z-level this takes place on is considered part of a cavern Biome with underground depth =2 (so the 1st cavern layer, as aboveground is depth=1). Does the game consider cavern biomes separately from surface ones, and therefore treated differently as far as regional interactions? (Aka, reanimating)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 03:24:37 pm »

Ok so the butcher thing, yes I'd turned off auto slaughter and auto butcher!  with these back on, no one will slaughter anything unless I mark it as ready for slaughtering right?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »

Auto-slaughter sends a job to the butcher shop(s) as soon as you mark an animal for slaughter (and not before). Auto-butcher sends a job as soon as there's a butcherable item in range. With these switched off, you have to set the job at the workshop.

If your butcheries are all in the same area you can leave it on, as the default. If not, you may find that jobs are handed out to workshops nowhere near the animals or corpses / body parts you have ready.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 06:49:38 pm »

One thing that I've been curious about...

My entire embark is reanimating (I think, I'm pretty sure, it's Terrifying all the way across), but I had a cat die as FB bait in my cave-in trap. The cave-in annihilated the FB corpses (I'm pretty sure, I certainly couldn't find anything, <snip> Does the game consider cavern biomes separately from surface ones, and therefore treated differently as far as regional interactions? (Aka, reanimating)

as far as I remember, if the surface reanimates, underground does too. However, terrifying terrain doesn't always mean it reanimates, so unless it has happened to you already, it's not sure to happen
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 12:33:25 am »

I now have another problem!  The elf caravan has just gone insane!  I mean they only had to hang about for a couple of months before I could capture the one dwarf zombie and thus let them out the floor hatch!

So no everyone is getting interrupted by berserk camels, one of the elves have done mad the other melancholy.  I have started to put together a marksdwarf squad to end the berserk camels, the two elfs are not yet listed as enemies.  If I kill the camels will haulers be able to drag the cammel carcasses to be atom smashed? Or will the elves go as enemies? 

I think I may have a serious problem here!  I could wall the depot off and simply try to build another airlock before the dwarf caravan arrives!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:45 am »

I would flood the place with magma and then water, or kite them into bridges, or some sort of purging system, just because it's a little easier than building another depot. Note that since they've gone insane, and the only way out of that is death, the elven home civ is going to psychically know about their deaths and blame you for it no matter what, so magma is also good for this.

The magma will also burn up the corpses, unless they've already been killed and reanimated, in which case magma doesn't affect them due to a bug an oversight in the RAWs. (No melting point/boiling point, possibly no heatdam, and magma doesn't deal HP damage and therefore is useless against undeads. Obsidian works though.)

Also regarding the kitten problem... I'm pretty sure it's all one biome, as it has the same syndrome across the entire embark, and I cranked both types of weather up to max in worldgen so I should be getting different things falling from the sky, theoretically. I'll run a test later, when I'm not so concerned about everything. I did leave cage traps surrounding it, so if it gets up, it'll get caught and I just have yet another zombie to throw into the magma pipe. Or perhaps the obsidian chamber that I'm building.
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 04:33:00 am »

I thought only the traders went berserk or the like and the animals stayed pretty sane, as far as animals go. In any case, unless the elves brought guards which is unlikely, there is no downside to killing them except that the next caravan will be smaller and you end up with a lot of thrash, it takes a lot before their nation declares war on you, one or two, or three, or more caravans usually don't do it.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 11:01:09 am »

The big problem is that they will reanimate and I don't have a military!

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 12:46:35 am »

I lost the fort and had to savescum.  OK so now, do trees block a wagon's route?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 02:28:55 am »

yes, as it clearly states on the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Wagon
Wagons cannot move through traps, pressure plates, doors (even if the doors span an area ordinarily wide enough for the wagon to pass) or cross upward or downward stairs, though wagons can move across downward stairs covered by a (closed) hatch cover. Obstructing boulders must be smoothed ( d - s ), and trees must be cut down

actually, common sense would have told you the same in this case

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 03:27:54 am »

Lol, yes I checked the wiki just after posting, sorry, as for common sense, that isn't always the best way to guess what happens in DF is it?  I mean how can wagons go up ramps with no wall behind them, but dwarf's can't?

;)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 04:38:07 am »

Wait, that's a thing?

Brb, invader-proof entrance.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »

I didn't know wagons could do that actually. Sounds like a sort of bug to me and yes, that's where common sense fails you :D

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2013, 12:39:11 am »

Wait, that's a thing?

Brb, invader-proof entrance.

Yes but the bits of the caravan that aren't a wagon need some other way in!

I didn't know wagons could do that actually. Sounds like a sort of bug to me and yes, that's where common sense fails you :D

Yeah I know... but it is all stuff we have to live with in the world Armok has given us!

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 01:55:33 am »

Yes but the bits of the caravan that aren't a wagon need some other way in!
I've been using one awhile now. Spawn is no issue. But leaving is. guards and pack animals will spawn with wagons, even elves spawn there. But on leaving they don't all want to go the same way out. Also diplomats and guild reps spawn elsewhere
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:05:52 am by crossmr »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4