Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: First Evil Fortress questions thread  (Read 3072 times)

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Evil Fortress questions thread
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:00 am »

My main problem is when there are more than one type of good in the barrel, so they run off with it to harvest cave wheat and my guy processing quarry bushes complains there aren't any!  Not sure I want to turn the barrels off completely for the transport bonus.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:14 am »

Thanks for the tips on stockpiles...

Ok so crazy question, does ore die when dropped a long distance, I mean over 50 z levels and could it break the surface it finally hits?

no, only actual cave-ins can cause such damage
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 04:14:44 am »

Ok so a 100+ z level garbage chute for moving ore quickly to magma levels is a go!

Ok so what does and does not reanimate?  At the moment I wont even buy meat for fear it will reanimate!

rudhcairiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 04:51:30 am »

Ok so what does and does not reanimate?  At the moment I wont even buy meat for fear it will reanimate!

Meat, tanned hides, spun yarn, and vermin remains are safe. I think bones are safe too? Body parts, corpses, skins, hair, and shells will reanimate. If they come from a big animal your fortress is about to become really seriously fun.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 04:59:45 am »

I was going to a test run with a chicken chick!  I'm not ready for this one to go quite yet! 

I'm also thinking butcher and tanners behind an airlock near an atomsmasher.  Seal butcher and tanner in after they start the slaughter, then get them to atom smash any left over the hair.  Do we have any confirmation on whether bones (not turned into something) reanimate?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:01:54 am by MoridinUK »

rudhcairiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:53 am »

I was going to a test run with a chicken chick!  I'm not ready for this one to go quite yet! 

I'm also thinking butcher and tanners behind an airlock near an atomsmasher.  Seal butcher and tanner in after they start the slaughter, then get them to atom smash any left over the hair.  Do we have any confirmation on whether bones (not turned into something) reanimate?

Wiki is actually suggesting to me that bones may reanimate, but I haven't seen it happen myself. That doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible though, I could just be lucky.

Make sure your tanner is ready to go and only slaughter one animal at a time, making sure all the parts are dealt with before moving on to the next. If you're feeling really paranoid, you could add some cages in the airlock - undead can be caught in cages. Atomsmashing is also an excellent solution.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:40 am »

bones not, but partial skeleons may. mussel shells do

meat and such doesn't reanimate. Anything that still has to be butchered does (severed arms, legs, heads). After butchering, hair reanimates, and untanned hide/skin. I'm taking 'to be butchered' to include stuff that you normally can't butcher. A severed hyena head will reanimate as much as a crow or goblin head. As mentioned, some kinds of shells that you could see as 'skin' also reanimate
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 07:20:23 am »

Ok so I have a barrow, with a butchers shop, tanners, and a farm workshop, a pasture and an atom smasher. behind an airlock.

I assign an adult boar to the pasture, I assign a dwarf with butchery activated, another with tanning and another with spinning.

I seal the airlock and set the boar to slaughterable in the view- preferences. 

Then nothing happens, the butchery guy does nothing... any ideas why?

Edit: Elves!  Trade! yay! but uh ho, my prepared food is all in barrels!  Can I sell it to them or will they get into a fuff? Anyideas how to get the food out of the barrel!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:46:35 am by MoridinUK »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 08:41:10 am »

So you connect your depot to 5 blocks away from the edge in a 3 wide tunnel with walls (and a roof once you have the resources, fliers are annoying).
Dig a ramp down a few tiles from the edge, and your tunnel is automatically roofed. If you dug the tunnel in a stone layer you can use the generated stone to seal off the above-ground portion of the path.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 10:42:39 am »

I never put prepared meals into barrels or pots, since those can hold just up to 10 or so meals (roasts at least), and not stacks but total, which just isn't very efficient since a roast with 1 fish, 1 heart, 1 tallow and 1 tallow, is already size 4. If your farming is going well and you get size 3 or 4 stacks of plump helmets to cook with, not to mention if you brough egg layers, you'll have 2 stacks in a barrel, more often 1 stack and most likely the meals don't even fit into the barrels. So I don't use barrels at all. Only when your dwarfs eat 10 stacks of 4 to 10 stacks of 1 do you get 10 items in a barrel, yay!

I don't think there is a way to sell something in a barrel without the barrel, like you can with bins, at least not as long as it was brought to the trader inside the barrel

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 12:23:33 am »

My main problem is when there are more than one type of good in the barrel, so they run off with it to harvest cave wheat and my guy processing quarry bushes complains there aren't any!  Not sure I want to turn the barrels off completely for the transport bonus.

There's another option here. If you have enough barrels and enough storage space, you can turn off the mixing of food in the Orders menu. Dwarves will then use one barrel to store one type of food, so instead of a Plant barrel that gets a bunch of stuff shoved into it you'll have a Plump Helmet Barrel, a Pig Tail Barrel, a Quarry Bush Barrel, etc. I will admit that I don't know how precise dwarves get with butchery products, though.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 01:54:55 am »

AWesome!  Thanks all,

any ideas why my butcher would get butchering?  does he need an axe or something?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 04:11:18 am »

Butchers don't currently require any tools to do the job. I'd recommend double checking that he has the proper labor enabled, that the correct animal is marked for slaughter, that both the animal and the entire workshop are in the burrow, that the workshop's not forbidden, that that a dwarf from outside the burrow hasn't claimed the job... If you have a manager, you can go to the workshop profile settings and set it so that only the proper butcher can use that butcher's shop. If that isn't the only butcher's shop you have, you may want to forbid the other ones first, to make sure the beast will be slaughtered at the correct one.

Oh, almost forgot. Is the butcher on break?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »

Ok so the butcher guy is the only dwarf with the butcher labour set, in dwarf therapist.  The whole of the workshop is in the barrow, as is the whole pen/pasture zone that the boar was sent to.

I only have one boar, and I set it to slaughter, via view/prefs after it had arrived in the pen/pasture.  The workshop and the pasture do not overlap but are both in the same barrow.  The butcher is in the barrow and dwarf therapyist says he has no job, rather than on a break.

Any other ideas?  There is not meetinghall, dinning room, food, water, booze available in the barrow...  REally need to sort this one as I desperately need a few bones!

;)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 03:00:42 pm »

you didn't mention it yet, but is there another butchers workshop? It might mess with things a bit. Set the butchery in the burrow to butcher manually and it might work. Maybe you have turned off automatic butchering in the orders menu?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4