Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First fort questions  (Read 1858 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First fort questions
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 09:20:02 am »

strange.  wheelbarrows have no special requirements that would make them not appear in certain situations.  I would go to the manager screen and try to order them from there.  I doubt it'll work, but it'll confirm that they're missing.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 11:14:06 am »

strange.  wheelbarrows have no special requirements that would make them not appear in certain situations.  I would go to the manager screen and try to order them from there.  I doubt it'll work, but it'll confirm that they're missing.

Some dwarf civilizations do not have wheelbarrow technology.  Weird, I know.  The only other "preferences" like that are for clothing, for example, some have tunics and others have shirts, some have togas and others have dresses, some have high boots but some have only low boots.  If your civilization doesn't have wheelbarrows, then you could try starting a new game with a different dwarf civilization.  99% of the time they do have wheelbarrows.  It may also be possible to "mod" your savefile, but I wouldn't know how.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 11:27:37 am »

have you tried setting it through the manager menu? If it's due to your starting civ not having them that won't help though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 02:53:15 am »

Well, if it's because the civilization just didn't have them at the start, I guess that explains it. But how does that make any sense? Your DWARVEN civilization can't start without pickaxes, so why would there be a chance to start without the ability to craft a certain tool at all? No logic there, in my opinion.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 05:42:08 am »

nope, not really. Sometimes they can't make high boots and other some such weirdness
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 09:51:24 am »

That doesn't explain it. If you look at entity_default, most armor pieces are COMMON, but tools like minecarts, wheelbarrows and pots don't have a rarity modifier. They are always available.

I can only guess that the graphic set somehow messed stuff up. Did you try to download it again?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 09:21:39 pm »

When the choice to make wheelbarrows is missing from the carpenter workshop, it's always because someone tried to use a faulty tileset.

I don't know the exact details beyond that, as I don't use graphic tilesets myself.  But that's always the reason.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 10:13:22 pm »

Next, HOW DO YOU STOP THEM HAVING SO MANY BABIES?!??! I'm at 84 dwarves and 15 of those are babies! That's already almost 1/4. I have a ton of idlers at times, is that why?!
Dwarve women who never see their husbands because both are busy working will still have babies as long as they can path to each other, regardless of their job status. If you ever feel like the population cap is too cheap and unrealistic, you can attempt sex segregation of your fortress as long as you keep in mind that any available path between the sectors breaks the segregation.

Speaking of realism, any civilization with a death rate comparable to the average dwarf fortress needs to produce quite a lot of new people to prevent running its population into the ground. If your fortress doesn't replenish its own population, other forts will have to have even higher ratios of babies to adult dwarves in order to ensure they have migrants to send you instead. And we all know migrants are just babies who eat more and don't have any excuses for not doing anything, so that doesn't make things better, now does it? Granted the game doesn't actually care about overall civ population in terms of sending you migrants -- not yet at least... but it might be more reasonable from the player's standpoint to set an overall cap to limit migration if your fort is successfully producing the next generation, and then give mothers in dangerous professions a maternity leave of sorts like you would in real life, right? (Mind you when I say "more reasonable" I don't necessarily mean easier.)

(Now, if we wanted to be really realistic, we'd discourage excess migration by having a limited supply of rooms to rent -- as they start to run out the price would go up, which would make fewer dwarves want to come... but the game's economy is currently disabled, so that's not an option.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 10:19:46 pm »

well, sometimes someone is completely convinced he is right in an answer but then finds out he is wrong (and sometimes that someone is me), so it pays to have a second opinion

dwarfs take some time to get barrels and all the thing sorted out. It might have been the spawn issue, since the spawns are treated somewhat differently. You'll need bags for the plump helmet spawns. Only 2 bags to hold the maximum of 200, but if you have no free bags (the others are full with rock nut leaves, whatever they were called again?) they'll be stored on the stockpile, keeping it completely full and forcing your farmers to leave the grown crops to rot on your fields. After they were rotting away, they can take the seeds again, the stockpile will clean up, etc, until the next time it overflows with the spawns. That might not be what happened, but it's a good guess I think.

An important first step is to have enough bags, another important step is to seperate stockpiles. Having one seed stockpile, one for harvested plants, one for prepared meals and one for cookable/edible meat and fish, one for tallow (for soap instead of the oil, you always need lye anyway) and so on and so on. It helps overproduction or poor management to stop the rest of your works. Similarly, giving cloth and such their own stockpile just makes it easier to keep an overview of the running of your fort without having to scrutinize every stockpile closely or spending a lot of time in the stocks screen

for seed stockpiles: you need 2 bags and the space for it per crop you plan on growing, don't use barrels for it, that is more efficient
One thing I find is that after designating all my main stockpiles, I always designate a huge "catch-all" for overflow. For example, if I want to keep thieves at bay, I clean up after sieges/caravans getting taken out. If they knock out one that had a bunch of cages and my small cage stock pile is filled up, they're left sitting outside. so I dig some huge area further away than all other stockpiles and leave it to accept most things. No seeds or food, no regular stone, no refuse, but just about everything else. This really helps keep things cleaned up and flowing.

Garun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 10:32:12 pm »

That doesn't explain it. If you look at entity_default, most armor pieces are COMMON, but tools like minecarts, wheelbarrows and pots don't have a rarity modifier. They are always available.

I can only guess that the graphic set somehow messed stuff up. Did you try to download it again?

I did download it again, and it still makes absolutely no sense. I think the only explanation is what Garath said, about how sometimes they won't be able to start with a certain item. Although what you said about them being always available should negate that....

I started a few different embarks to test things out and eventually on one of them (still using my tileset) I was able to construct wheelbarrows, and they were in my embarkation tools. Just a really frustrating feature if you ask me. I don't see how this possibly could contribute anything to the gameplay.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:03:18 am by Garun »
Pages: 1 [2]