Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This really grinds my mechanisms  (Read 1180 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This really grinds my mechanisms
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:03:39 pm »

Is there any way to deal with the "Dwarves has suspended the construction of the _____, item blocking site." I know the dwarves are somewhat smart enough to move the stone that is occupying the tile ONE TILE OVER but sometimes they dont do it at all. To me at least, this is the most annoying quirk in the game.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This really grinds my mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:50 pm »

Remove the half-built construction completely, then try again.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:16:59 pm »

Remove the half-built construction completely, then try again.

You sir, deserve the ☼Internets☼ for solving this, thank you.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 06:40:07 pm »

FYI, If the item in question is being 'used' for another construction (or another section of the same construction), the dwarf will not move it.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »

This is one reason why I build floor tiles from blocks instead of from stones.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:25:20 am »

FYI, If the item in question is being 'used' for another construction (or another section of the same construction), the dwarf will not move it.

If this is the situation then forbid the item.  After running for a while the other job should get canceled (you will get a notification).  Unforbid and mark the item for dumping.  The construction should now complete.

It happend to me once while breaching an aquifer and by hell I was NOT going to cancel THAT construction.  I marked the block for dumping (with no dump zone active) so it would not be picked up for a new wall until after that wall was finished.

Forbiding prevents moving the item out of the construction zone.  Marking for dumping does not.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:14:23 am »

Forbiding prevents moving the item out of the construction zone.  Marking for dumping does not.
Unless someone is already running to dump it, since that makes it claimed by the dump job.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:13 am »

Unless someone is already running to dump it, since that makes it claimed by the dump job.

Unforbid and mark the item for dumping [...] (with no dump zone active) so it would not be picked up for a new wall until after that wall was finished.

Disabled the dumb zones before marking the item for dumping so that would not happen.