Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Merchant dead on arrival  (Read 1150 times)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchant dead on arrival
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »

An elven caravan showed up, but I didn't pay it much heed; I was busy setting up more forges.  I look back a little later, and my dwarves are carrying his corpse to the refuse stockpile.

No mention of him in the combat reports.  DFHack reports that he died of "suffocation".  Very mysterious.

I do get his stuff, but he didn't have much - I think he was only part of the caravan, and the rest failed to arrive at all.

Mod: Masterwork DF
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant dead on arrival
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »

Well since they are elves, should it even matter that they died?

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:28:35 pm »

Its death is irrelevant. What matters, however, is what killed him, and how. If it kills elves, it can be weaponized.

For the sake of !!SCIENCE!!, I do hope you'll figure out this mystery.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:46:43 pm »

Any demonic diplomats or megabeasts with syndrome blood splattered around?

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:55:37 pm »

Any demonic diplomats or megabeasts with syndrome blood splattered around?

Nope... not unless the diplomat that came just before him was a demon; I didn't look too closely, but I doubt it.

I read in another thread about migrants showing up with preexisting wounds... maybe he simply showed up with a preexisting lung wound?
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 04:01:11 pm »

If he had preexisting conditions, wouldn't it show up in legends mode?

Savescum, then abandon, and dump the history xml. Hunt said diplomat down, and see what it says about his death.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:06:38 pm »

suffocation is a common result of neck/spine injuries.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:42:23 pm »

Did you see him arrive? Are you sure the rest of his caravan didn't show up? Or did they maybe show up briefly and then leave after he died.

Does the whole caravan spawn on one square like migrants do? I wonder if maybe he was the first person in the caravan to enter the map, and he immediately fell down gasping for breath where he spawned as soon as he arrived, blocking that tile and preventing the rest of the caravan from spawning.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:19:04 pm »

Yeah, he showed up with some sort of mortal injury, probably lung injuries or spinal injury, that didn't kill him in world gen but did once it was finally tracked upon popping into your settlement.

If you checked legends, you'd probably find where and how he received the injury.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:32:13 pm »

Did you see him arrive? Are you sure the rest of his caravan didn't show up? Or did they maybe show up briefly and then leave after he died.

Does the whole caravan spawn on one square like migrants do? I wonder if maybe he was the first person in the caravan to enter the map, and he immediately fell down gasping for breath where he spawned as soon as he arrived, blocking that tile and preventing the rest of the caravan from spawning.

That's possible.  When the caravan first arrived, I glanced at it, and saw only the one merchant, which is normal because they arrive one at a time.  Then I didn't look at it for a while, and when I looked back, there was one dead elf.  I don't know for sure that he was the first; if his death caused the others to flee, I would never have seen more than one.

Here's his record in Legends Viewer:

Sethe Masteredshin was a elf born in -395 and died in 105 (Suffocated).
Caste: Female
Type: Merchant

Related Historical Figures

the elf Nona, Deity (10%)
Event Log
In 105, late spring, Sethe suffocated in Scrapedgulf.

Looks like the only important thing Sethe ever did was suffocate.  I guess her wounding may have been... unimportant?

Also, apparently that merchant was female, making all of my previous pronoun uses wrong.  Not important in any other way, though.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:25:27 pm »

Do you have decent refuse management and bathing facilities? Maybe he showed up, choked to death on Dwarven foot-funk, and everyone behind him just went "aw hell no".
/joking
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:03:07 pm »

Its an elf, I don't even think its suffocation should count as an important event but the game seems to think so.

Also, born in -395? That elf is as old as HFS! Older than time anyway. If it hadn't suffocated id have done him the job anyway and disected him for science. She figured shed just cut one of the steps out for you.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:09 pm »

This really sounds like a case of someone coming in contact with blood/dust/etc that causes paralysis.

Was she wearing clothing? Having bare feet is a great way to pick up a contact poison.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01:01 am »

This really sounds like a case of someone coming in contact with blood/dust/etc that causes paralysis.

Was she wearing clothing? Having bare feet is a great way to pick up a contact poison.

Not sure, but there were no contaminants in the area.  I don't think I have any contact poisons at all, though I did kill an FB with "noxious secretions" a while back.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:09 am »

Since you're playing with a mod, I would put my money on the merchant showing up with some item made of material that's meant for !!xxHILARITYxx!!, causing it to instantly vaporize and spread it's deadly effect all over the poor girl.

Then again, as far as I recall when merchants show up with such items from mods, they don't activate until they're loaded off of the wagons or trade animals, so yeah. Unless it was a part of their clothing.
Pages: [1] 2