Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen issues - barren caverns, cavern density/openness tweaks  (Read 665 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile

I've been playing around with a couple of settings in world gen - trying to create a region with a decent number of volcanoes and nice, open caverns.  I've only really edited:

Cavern openness
Cavern density
Volcano number
Mineral scarcity (nothing too drastic)

I've got exactly the sort of caverns I want... except they're barren.  Sometimes I'll get 2 good, vibrant, living caverns and one containing nothing but mud and bloodthorns, sometimes I'll have barren caverns at all levels.

I have searched for similar threads and noted other people had a similar issue.  However, in those threads people mentioned that a cavern without natural water would be barren, and this happened to me even in caverns with plenty of pools of water about the place.  I also tried running the areas for a while after breaching between the caverns to see if spores spread, but they did not, even when the barren area had plenty of pools of water/

In any case, I tried the suggested fix of increasing the minimum water amount above 0, and I'm still having the same issue.  I've genned maybe a dozen worlds over the last two days, and no matter what I do, tweaking cavern density and openness just seems to gen sometimes entire worlds with barren caverns (I test 2-3 locations for each gen, and they all have the same problem).

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong?  I've copied the world gen for my most recent world below...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
Re: World gen issues - barren caverns, cavern density/openness tweaks
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:57:59 pm »

Are you sure there was no growth in the barren caverns, even after releasing spores? Usually what happens (albeit when they're caused by lack of underground pools, which doesn't seem to be the case) is that cave moss does begin to grow, but is obscured by the thick coating of mud that covers the entire cavern floor.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
Re: World gen issues - barren caverns, cavern density/openness tweaks
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:50:08 pm »

Are you sure there was no growth in the barren caverns, even after releasing spores? Usually what happens (albeit when they're caused by lack of underground pools, which doesn't seem to be the case) is that cave moss does begin to grow, but is obscured by the thick coating of mud that covers the entire cavern floor.

Oh, I didn't realise that could happen.  Thanks, I'll double-check my genned worlds and see.
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!