Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need More Sieges  (Read 520 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need More Sieges
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:18 pm »

I did a search but couldn't find anything that would answer this, and the Wiki was only marginally more helpful.

I understand that apparently you won't get a goblin siege until a population of 80. Apparently this doesn't hold true for Necromancers, because they are douches. But anyways, I want goblins. I had noticed that I have seen very few goblins, even though my fortress would crank out money like it was made of it. [Note: Several Rooms were gold plated, so it kind of was.] Well I figure now, it's probably because I had my population cap at 30 because I didn't feel like dealing with a million dwarves doing asolutely nothing while I focused on my military. Now, will I HAVE to set my poopulation to 80? Will it have to STAY at 80? If I let my numbers increase, when once I pass 80 switch it back to say.. 50, and some dwarves die, will the sieges keep coming? This seems like information I should already know, what with being here for like 3 years now, but the little I actually know after 6 months of absence suprises me.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need More Sieges
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:26:26 pm »

I don't recall if sieges let up if your population drops.  I expect the answer is "they don't let up."

Modifying the siege triggers should be fairly simply by editing the entity raws, but would require a new worldgen.  I would ask in the modding subforum for more specific answers.  However I would first look at this.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Entity_token#Behavior
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:40:40 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:34 am »

there is an option in custom worldgen that specifies when sieges happen, it defaults at 80 dwarves, and some value number i cant remember

i would also like to know if sieges stop if you barely survive one, or if they continue uninterrupted

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 02:46:19 pm »

Hmmm, good question!  My current fort is almost to 80, so I might able to test this out soon.

i would also like to know if sieges stop if you barely survive one, or if they continue uninterrupted

With humans, you can get peace treaties through their diplomats.  Goblins don't have them.  The elves used to, but their diplomat is broken atm.  I'm not sure about siege frequency, but at least with ambushes, I've noticed that beating goblins soundly can sometimes give me a 1-2 year breather. Might just be a coincidence, though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:50:38 pm by VerdantSF »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:50:42 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, the option in custom world gen only applies to titans and forgotten beasts and whatnot. I don't think it specifically applies to sieges. I just don't like having a ton of dwarves I don't use, so sieges at 40 would be nice. And If I lose some dorfs and drop below the requirement, I would like sieges to continue to poke and prod me lower, not wait until I'm at full strength to try again.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.