Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarfs are half naked running into battle  (Read 1135 times)

mikelon

My dwarfs are half naked running into battle
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »

Hi

So I got some magnetite, some charcoal and had a migrant great weaponsmit and armorsmith couple make masterwork armor for my dwarfs

breastplate, mail shirts, greaves, gloves, high boots and helms, 3 spears, 3 short sowords, and 4 silver war hammers

I then made a squad with the designation that they use metal armor

All went well I supposed, they got to training, but when I looked at their inventory they had only put on the breastplate and greaves

I tried manually equipping them specific items from the non equipped list of masterwork items above but they wont put them on, they stick to their weapon, the greaves, and the breastplate

Also the items when I tried to make them equip them in the squad menu were all blood red, does this mean they cant equip it? is it in use? I dunno

can someone help, I don't want armless  dwarves since they refuse to wear anything but pigtail gloves on their arms

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarfs are half naked running into battle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

Armor equipping is kind of buggy, in that armor counts as clothing. So for some reason, your dwarves won't put it on if they already have clothes. Or something like that. I don't know the specific nature of the bug.

However, to fix it [atleast how I fixed it when my idiots refused to put anything on..] was I set the uniforms to REPLACE clothing instead of OVER clothing. All at once, they dumped whatever they were wearting and slapped their armor on. Try doing that, and get back to me if it works.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:33:17 am »

yep, armor counts as clothing, so a soldier cant put on his helmet if he has a hat, because the hat is "in the way"

you need to switch the squad uniforms(for each member of the squad) to REPLACE

default is over clothing, which has issues if the dwarf is not naked before fetching his uniform :P

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:59 am »

Be careful if you replace a uniform when you might still be missing pieces (I generally assign migrants to squads immediately and then start making their equipment). If they replace their clothing but their uniform is incomplete, they get bad thought about walking around naked. And of all your dwarfs the militia are the ones you really don't want to make unhappy...

What I do is set a full set of armor + clothes as uniform, and then select replace. That way, if you don't have the breastplate, at least they still have a  cloak...

I got a nice list from these forums recently, IIRC it was somethign like

helmet

cloak
breast plate
mail shit

greaves
metal leggings
trousers

gauntlet
mittens

high boot
socks

shield
weapn

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:46:56 pm »

Can you set it so that the dwarves are always wearing their armor so you don't have to worry about them having to pick up their armor or will that have a bad effect on them?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »

Personally I have them ALWAYS in armor, ALWAYS with a weapon, and ALWAYS training, 24/7 non stop all year. They get a tiny bit grumpy sometimes, but nothing a good meal in an excellent dining room can't counter. The only downside is you have fewer dwarves to make do things. Though considering the mountainhome keep sending you surplus fodder citizens, it's a very, very minor problem.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:43:33 am »

yep, armor counts as clothing, so a soldier cant put on his helmet if he has a hat, because the hat is "in the way"
This problem only exists if your dwarves are wearing large amounts of clothing or if they are currently wearing [SHAPED] clothing. Other then that I personally haven't had much problem with just assigning basic armor, and as long as you aren't trying to min/max armor layers or something you are generally ok. I do highly suggest that you have them wear all of their equipment while off duty though, and a few times toggling them on/off duty when you first assign them usually gets them to pick up and equip everything available.

Another note: unless you are absolutely certain you have everything needed for your armor, or are dealing with attachment problems, I highly suggest you turn "partial matches" ON. It helps to ensure that your dwarves end up with armor covering everything, even if some of it is sub-par armor because you don't have enough high quality stuff.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.