Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clearing Crimes  (Read 1416 times)

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clearing Crimes
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:35:17 pm »

I violated an export mandate a while back, but since I don't have a guard captain, the hundred or so "criminals" never got punished.  That's fine by me, but the baron's unhappy thoughts about this state of affairs are starting to stack up.  Is there any way to erase this backlog of crimes, presumably using DFHack?

I looked at the lua documentation, but couldn't find anything related to the justice system.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing Crimes
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 01:55:35 am »

Kill the baron.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 02:03:18 am »

Kill the baron.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:51:32 am »

I was going to say, convict a dwarf that annoys you of the crime, but kill the baron works too.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:58:00 am »

Build appropriate prison facilities (you can actually use this as a happy thought generator if you set it up right), appoint a sheriff or captain of the guard, and let there be justice.

You might also want to set up appropriate medical facilities and staff, before you appoint a justice official.

Alternatively, kill the baron.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:42:50 am »

You might also want to set up appropriate medical facilities and staff a heavy-duty funeral industry, before you appoint a justice official.

Fixed this for you.

You can't convict dwarfs of mandate-related crimes, the convictions and punishments are determined automatically by the game.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:19:58 am »

Kill the baron. horribly.

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:43:37 am »

Build appropriate prison facilities (you can actually use this as a happy thought generator if you set it up right), appoint a sheriff or captain of the guard, and let there be justice.

I always do this. artifact table and chair with high value rope or chain. Followed by food, drink and a bed. Engraved walls with gem windows. Keeps them at the normal happy level and when they get out, they get a huge bonus happy thought from being free again.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:02:40 am »

I don't see any advantage to killing the baron myself over letting him stay unhappy, and possibly go insane in the future.  He's a no-skill dwarf, but he still does hauling.  Also, I'd like to progress up to count; I appointed the baron intentionally, y'know.  (Didn't bargain for the goblet export prohibitions, though.)

There are over 70 "criminals" in the list; I don't really want to invest in a bunch of architecture just to have half my workers disabled for a while.  Maybe I'll just leave it - they are getting happy thoughts from "punishment delayed", after all.  Just gotta keep an eye on the baron's unhappy thoughts... the "admired own property" thoughts might be enough to compensate for those, though.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:22:31 am »

Yeah, i prefer to let mandate-makers stay unhappy and be in constant grief over how Urist McMotherofTwelve isn't horribly brain-punched in the name of justice for having carried a goblet to the depot six years ago. And seeing how much neglect a noble can handle before snapping is more scientific and often more entertaining than murdering them outright.

Considering that prison sentences for which there's no free chain get 'downgraded' to beatings, which currently have a fatality rating of just over 50%, seventy 'criminals' really is a bit much to provide for; and not providing for them all would likely result in such a murder-orgy on part of the guard that a full-fledged tantrum spiral would be a distinct possibility.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:53 am »

Install a mist generator in the barons room and forget about it.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:29:34 am »

Have you considered making your Captain of the Guard a very weak dwarf and assigning him a training sword?

Or would even that be a recipe for genocide?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

Have you considered making your Captain of the Guard a very weak dwarf and assigning him a training sword?
Dwarves use their fists to hand out beatings now, so the weapon is irrelevant.

If you want to get the punishments cleared, either build enough prison space for everybody or make enough helms and mail shirts for everybody.

For the prison space, you can have three large rooms stacked on each other, with a stair between them available for each chain. One room gets the chains, another gets a food stockpile, and the last one gets a drink stockpile. The best time to activate this industrial prison is right after you've finished the hauling for the dwarven caravan. You can shut up the fortress over the winter, and right past the elven caravan if you still have too many dwarves locked up. If your dwarves are reasonably happy, you can get away with letting them eat off the stockpiles and sleep on the floor for a bit. You could also install a mist generator -- a square of four pumps might just about cover the 10x10 space you'll need for the prison.

For the mass beatings, you need a helm and mail shirt at minimum, to protect the skull and spinal cord. If you have any miners, woodcutters, or hunters on the beating list, don't forget to disable the relevant civilian labour first.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

mikelon

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:39 pm »

Dwarves use their fists to hand out beatings now, so the weapon is irrelevant.

aww

I always assigned my captain of the guard silver warhammers or platinum ones if a dwarf ever made one (2 forts had this) and watch the carnage as the hammerer had his way with that dastardly friends with everyone Urist McHauler

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »

I never kill nobles, i just put those puny dwarves in jail for justice. I dont kill nobles cause i give baron, count, duke etc. to useful dwarves for achievements. Why kill the poor nobles?
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE
Pages: [1] 2