Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Comparison of DF Verses Minecraft  (Read 2286 times)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
A Comparison of DF Verses Minecraft
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:31:35 am »

* This topic deals with the Dwarf Mode, not DF in general, as the Adventure mode is very dissimilar to Minecraft *

I had at one point been one of the people who thought that Minecraft was just an attempt to rip off Dwarf Fortress. Eventually, after reading the TVTropes page, I decided to just give it a shot, to humor myself at the least, to be able to come up with more convincing arguments relating to how MC copies DF.

I got addicted. So sue me. (Don't really).

MC is, to an extent, the application of DF to an individual verses a population. DF has you controlling a hoard of dwarves, while MC has you controlling an individual. Where dwarves fail to express careful detail (Urist McMiner cancels live: interrupted by ceiling), you can succeed in MC. However, where individuals have slow progress (the digging of massive projects), a population can succeed greatly.

DF has a much greater variety of ores than MC does, as well as a much deeper and realistic (until you hit slade) composition. Vanilla MC only has iron, gold, diamonds, and emeralds; the lattermost serving no purpose aside from currency.

MC has a much gentler learning curve if you have Wiki access, or almost the same without; this is due to the crafting system, and you having to know how everything is crafted. While the system itself is intuitive when you get to know it, some receipes are downright confusing unless you have built it before. DF's biggest hurdle IMO is the interface.

Both games are designed to be modded; going by what I heard about Masterpiece, and my experience with Tekkit Lite, I say that the two are approximatly equal in this respect.

DF's goal is to manage a population of dwarves into doing whatever you want them to do, from building megaprojects to just surviving day after day. MC's goal is to permit creativity and adventure. With the practically infinite landscape availible in MC, you will never run out of resources. But the restricted area in DF means that eventually you will have no more material from the ground that you can take, and you can't go out to get more. This is one of the challenges you have to overcome in DF.

MC has an end winning condition, and an optional boss. DF only has the optional boss, but it is easy to accidentially trigger it.

The most major point that people debate over is that both worlds are composed of blocks and foster underground development. I can say, from lots of experience in both games, that they are both composed of blocks, but MC doesn't entirely foster development underground. MC seems to be about exploration, where you have lots to explore both above the ground and below, while DF seems to be about development, making do with a fixed area and making the most of it. While you can do this in MC (not as efficiently as in DF, however), you can not do the adventuring component directly in DF; another point for MC comes from how you can go directly from adventuring to development and vice versa, while you can not do this in DF. However, DF makes up for this by offering a view into the history of the world through artifacts and other pieces of art. MC doesn't have such a history.

MC costs money, which gives you an unlimited landscape for you to shape. DF is free, and gives you an army of dwarves to do your bidding. While there are similarities, there are also major differences. Differences which contribute a major, major change in gameplay.

Also, Notch (the original only dev of MC, and only dev for quite some time; has since stepped down) has stated that Minecraft was intended to be similar to DF, but with a different feel. And while the game, in a few core mechanics, feels very similar, the development veered off the road of becoming a DF clone, much as the threads here stray from their original topic.

tl;dr: MC and DF are different games with different gameplay revolving around the concept of surviving in an enviorment you can shape as you feel fit.

edit: fixed a mistake
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:33:39 am by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Comparison of DF Verses Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »

I actualy started with minecraft, then I discoverd all the sandbox games.

Really thats when I doscoverd sandbox as a genre.

I always liked sandbox even before I knew about it, because I used to draw stick peaple acting out an rts.

Good report on MC vs DF.

EDIT:FIRST!!
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 05:50:55 pm »

AutomatedGoldfish

• Escaped Lunatic
  • All my migrants are soap makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »

I also started with Minecraft. When I was younger, DF seemed daunting to a 11 year old and Minecraft was very easy to understand. So I started with MInecraft but gradually got bored of it. The one main thing I think that is the difference here is the communities. For Minecraft, it started with a very creative user base, but it gradually became less creative as people just copied one another (At least in my opinion). While Dwarf Fortress on the another hand, to me at least, has always had a very creative and intelligent community around it. What I'm saying is probably biased, but I would take the DF community over the MC community any day.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:04 pm »

i really have no idea which one i started playing first, the first game i played like MC or DF was Clonk... and thats german.  MC is rather a Clone of DF with nice graphics if MC was in Ascii i doubt it would have sold that much. only bad thing about DF would be all the bugs that have piled up over the years.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:49 am »

I also started with Minecraft. When I was younger, DF seemed daunting to a 11 year old and Minecraft was very easy to understand. So I started with MInecraft but gradually got bored of it. The one main thing I think that is the difference here is the communities. For Minecraft, it started with a very creative user base, but it gradually became less creative as people just copied one another (At least in my opinion). While Dwarf Fortress on the another hand, to me at least, has always had a very creative and intelligent community around it. What I'm saying is probably biased, but I would take the DF community over the MC community any day.

creative, but also kind of terrifying. mermaid farms, dwarven child care, and the truly astonishing variety of murder-machines on these forums... honestly, i think once you've spent a while in the DF community, you probably become less suited for associating with the rest of humanity :)

but yeah. "creative". such a deceptively nice and innocent-sounding way to phrase it.

"Hey Urist, I've just figured out a way to spray clouds of searing magma into an area full of people repeatedly, which will almost certainly not kill but will permanently maim and disfigure them. On the plus side, once all their fat has been melted away, they will become super-tough and resistant to being doused in fire!"

"Why Catten, that's so creative of you!"

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:02:26 am »

i really have no idea which one i started playing first, the first game i played like MC or DF was Clonk... and thats german.  MC is rather a Clone of DF with nice graphics if MC was in Ascii i doubt it would have sold that much. only bad thing about DF would be all the bugs that have piled up over the years.
my order was clonk then df shortly followed by mc 

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 02:00:02 am »

I really enjoyed vanilla Minecraft for years before some friends introduced me to mods (specifically FTB). Ever since then, I've found the game to be far more fun and interesting. I've gone back to it about three times in the last six months thanks to modpacks.

DF, on the other hand, is very enjoyable for a short amount of time. I'm not really the most creative of people, so I normally play the game to win (or at least get as close as possible). I try to set challenges for myself, such as not using farms or only using surface crops, but it all tends to get a little stale after about a decade or so in game, which is also when the lag starts to hit and drops me down to <10 fps.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:45:56 am »

creative, but also kind of terrifying. mermaid farms, dwarven child care, and the truly astonishing variety of murder-machines on these forums... honestly, i think once you've spent a while in the DF community, you probably become less suited for associating with the rest of humanity :)
I've wondered for some time how many DF enthusiasts read Girl Genius, as the DF forums seem to be the largest concentration of 'real world' sparks I've ever encountered.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:26:02 am by Hurkyl »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:11:45 pm »

My analysis is that Dwarf Fortress is pretty much Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »

I would have it's more like "Minecraft is DF for people with ADD." DF came first, you know, and inspired Notch to some extent.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »

I would have it's more like "Minecraft is DF for people with ADD." DF came first, you know, and inspired Notch to some extent.

I don't know whether to be insulted or amused at the misconceptions people have. I'll probably stick with amused.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 06:06:47 pm »

Dwarves and Steve have similar procedures when it comes to crafting things.
They can both build a workshop out of basic raw materials pretty much on the spot, then build more advanced stuff from there.
But while dwarves have at least fifteen, possibly twenty different types of workshops, Steve has, at most, four to five.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 06:09:31 pm »

I don't know whether to be insulted or amused at the misconceptions people have. I'll probably stick with amused.
The ADD thing was, I suspect, not serious.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 06:15:07 pm »

Minecraft has its purposes, like building a massive castle with materials you pulled from the earth, and creating a self-sustaining environment therein.

Once I realized I couldn't build massively complex contraptions to kill and maim anything in Minecraft, I got bored. Sure, you can play with a bit of magma, but it doesn't really do much and is a bit slow. Water can drown, but that's only useful if the person doesn't have a door or ladder, or against mobs.

Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand... massive systems to draw magma and water up from the caverns, combine it midair to create a tile of obsidian which then falls onto your foes and crushes them with (sometimes) horrific collateral damage are par for the course, and simple in relation to the other, more complicated machines to freeze, burn, smash, trap, or release and hack into little tiny ^2's with a bunch of angry bearded warriors....

Plus, I've noticed a distinct lack of phallus-shaped objects in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: [1] 2