Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I built a wall around my pasture  (Read 1234 times)

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I built a wall around my pasture
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:07:18 pm »

I wasn't prepared militarily for the first siege and they wouldn't come into my trapped entrances. I was glad at the time that I had walled off a 30x30 area with a pasture inside so they could graze without being ravaged by the invaders.

It took a while to get my military set up strong enough to take them on but I sorted them out after much rushed metalworking and equipping.
Strangely though, just after I saw off the siege all my animals started starving to death. I checked the pasture and they were all assigned to it but they were not eating and were all dying.

The goblins were all over the other side of the map so it had nothing to do with them.

Any ideas?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: So I built a wall around my pasture
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »

What's the ground surface in the pasture area? Maybe there's nothing left for them to eat.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

Lots of grass completely untouched.

I think the game has bugged, even when I moved them to a new pasture they still starved.
They were fine before I moved them to the walled off area.

Jerky

• Bay Watcher
  • Hermit Punsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:57:42 pm »

What kind of animals are they? Certain ones are bugged so they get hungry faster than they eat.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:18:26 pm »

Water Buffalo calf x 2
Yak Bull
Cow
Reindeer cow
Horse
Mule
Reindeer calf

They didn't even touch the grass after I moved them there, or when I moved them away to another pasture after the siege. They munched away merrily at the old pasture no problems.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »

Did you have a burrow alert set that did not include the pasture? There's been a bug reported that animals "assigned" to a burrow through an alert will not eat in a pasture outside of that burrow. They'll stay in the burrow, they just won't eat.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 06:02:19 am »

Hmm.
I had a burrow keeping my civilians inside the fort for the duration of the siege. The pasture was a walled of enclosure well outside the fort and not included in the burrow, no animals were assigned to it and tbh I don't see an option to do that, but that sounds like that may be at least part of the issue.

Ta

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:49:44 am »

I've never seen an animal obedient enough to starve while standing on a patch of grass because the boss told him not to eat...

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 05:09:00 pm »

I've never seen an animal obedient enough to starve while standing on a patch of grass because the boss told him not to eat...

You've never seen an animal trained by a dwarf.

I had a burrow keeping my civilians inside the fort for the duration of the siege. The pasture was a walled of enclosure well outside the fort and not included in the burrow, no animals were assigned to it and tbh I don't see an option to do that, but that sounds like that may be at least part of the issue.

If the civilians were assigned to the burrow (w -> c) then it shouldn't have affected the animals' behavior. If the civilians were sent to the burrow through an alert (m -> a) those apply to your animals as well and would activate the bug.

Here is the bug report I mentioned earlier (which I actually submitted myself... heh) if you'd like to add your evidence. There is also a link there to the original thread where I learned of the bug.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:11:55 pm by Drazinononda »
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.