Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woodcrafting chains?  (Read 850 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Woodcrafting chains?
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:46:57 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUK9VrBGsac

If humans can carve wooden chains, Dwarves oughta. Also... mechanisms?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcrafting chains?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »

That is pretty darn cool. I'm not sure it's entirely dwarfy, though. I suppose it wouldn't seem too out of place seeing that they make spiked wooden balls and stuff like that.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:04:45 am »

I think it's beneath dwarfs.  The only thing I think a dwarf would ever want a wooden chain for is imprisoning an elf... and a wooden cage works better for that anyway.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 07:33:50 am »

But you can't hammer an elf in a cage.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »

What about stone chains? Or would those crumble to pieces at the given sizes?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:01 am »

I don't like the idea of being capable of making almost anything out of anything. Gameplay-wise it's better to have player collect various resources instead of few all-capable ones. Wooden chain is not nowhere near as durable as rope or metal chain and, like the person in the video said, they take hundreds of hours to produce.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:51 pm »

Perhaps the human in the video was taken by a mood.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 05:15:52 pm »

Stone chains I suppose are feasible. To be frank, more than enough stuff can be made from stone or wood; probably too much from stone (maybe not enough from clay).
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:50:22 pm »

I wouldn't mind artifact wood chains, but the way unskilled dwarves can make every item without wasting material, wood chains should not be possible as regular items.