Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Simply a "fixed" clone of Space Station 13  (Read 7891 times)

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simply a "fixed" clone of Space Station 13
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 08:27:20 pm »

I think a rewrite would be excellent and could only help the game grow e.g. no more arguments about what elements to remove when wanting to add some new system without lagging the whole thing to death.

The game's bigger than BYOND anyway.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 08:45:41 pm »

I would be for this idea, If fixing it included somehow making it Mac-compatible, otherwise I'd still be limited as to when I could play such a version as I am currently.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »

Does this thread have anything to do with my comment on Plump's latest SS13 video?  :P If not it would be quite the coincidence.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 10:43:17 pm »

I'd definitely be interested. The only reason I don't play Space Station 13 almost every night is because of how long it can take to connect and how unusable the interface is on a trackpad, with lots of tiny mouse icons. Just an interface improvement would be pretty cool. Also, as OREOSOME stated about Mac, I'd like to see a Linux version.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »

Join our SS13 server, Urist McStation. Our main server is nearly lag-free and we only use the alternate server if the main one is down.
the only problem is that I still dislike byond. If it was on some other platform, I would totally have joined by now.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 01:50:14 am »

BYOND itself isn't all that slow, so changing to a different language isn't the ultimate solution that fixes all of the speed problems. Other languages certainly provide more tools to make it run quickly, but since a lot of what makes SS13 slow is the algorithms it uses, someone competent enough to properly use multithreading in a non-BYOND SS13 would probably also be competent enough to rewrite one of the slower bits of code in the existing SS13 in a way that significantly improves performance.
Eh?
Eh!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 01:51:32 am »

BYOND it's so slow because everything is sentence serverside.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 12:01:48 pm »

As I imagine it, it's based on top of SFML, which provides the control of C++ and ready to use threading utilities and sockets, and total cross-platform portability.
And yes, the biggest issue with SS13 is the way networking is handled (apparently no client-side prediction at all). Such a project would have to focus on good netcode). Someone mentioned multithreading. As I see it, I don't think it is specially CPU intensive, at least for the clients.

I couldn't resist, so I went ahead and made a small C++ DMI loader (only for animation data, the image is just a PNG). In case someone wants to use it in the future *wink* *wink*.
https://github.com/tjohnman/DMIRead

What I have no idea is how are objects coded into Byond (you know, pens, photocopiers and such). Those would be nice to have as separate Lua scripts using an API, sort of what Cortex Command does. Does anyone here know?

Does this thread have anything to do with my comment on Plump's latest SS13 video?  :P If not it would be quite the coincidence.

I don't know about that comment. I blame aliens or the universe or something.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:03:50 pm by Sallen »

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 12:29:52 pm »

I've been registered on their forum for like 2 years, cautiously optimistic.

supernorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 06:24:35 pm »

Last tweet from RobustGames is from last year's June. Is there another Twitter account I'm missing?

@spacestation13 . This post scared the crap out of me, how many people weren't aware that we'd switched to posting SS13 updates on there instead? I've updated it accordingly. ;D

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »

Last tweet from RobustGames is from last year's June. Is there another Twitter account I'm missing?

@spacestation13 . This post scared the crap out of me, how many people weren't aware that we'd switched to posting SS13 updates on there instead? I've updated it accordingly. ;D

I'm really flattered that I caught your attention. I had no idea about that Twitter account :o
That last update from May 17th looks amazing!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 09:29:41 pm »

might be easier to make a clone of SS13 using a MUD codebase.
I got nothing

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 02:45:08 am »

It makes me sad to know that it probably won't be open source.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 05:36:58 am »

might be easier to make a clone of SS13 using a MUD codebase.

That is actually a very good idea. The crafting and interaction mechanics are very similar if not identical.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 05:40:38 am »

Hell, there latest update was yesterday. This looks like a thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3