Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less sentient-men?  (Read 813 times)

ajg1g12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Less sentient-men?
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:15:21 pm »

I love dwarf fortress.
I'm trying to embark on harder starting places now, but I'm not all that keen on thrips-men, tiger-men. or anything-men in particular.

Anyway I could perhaps get rid of them altogether?

Thanks,

AJG

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Less sentient-men?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:38:06 pm »

exclude the their names with the information in the raws. or you can put them a very low boiling point and let they make a "poof" and dissapear!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »

Dealing with annoying animalpeople _is_ the main challenge of savage biomes; they're not really more difficult otherwise. Apart from the few that spawn badgers, honey badgers and wolverines - those _do_ get fairly interesting in animalpeople and giant form.

You can of course wipe them from the raws, turn your dwarfs into goblins (i.e. edit their ethics so they find nothing wrong with butchering sentients) or ... embark in a non-savage biome that has actually challenging features like an aquifer, no trees or saltwater. Or just deal with the animalmen; they're mostly irritating but harmless.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:15:06 pm »

Flood the world with magma, that solve almost everything!
But as larix said, if you want a savage biome for the challenge, just put some marksdwarves to patrol the surfasse, so they kill almost  everything wich can walk.
In a time before time, I had a name.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:25 pm »

I just find them annoying when EVERYTHING  that comes onto my map is animal people. There aren't even giant animals, just a steady stream of useless animal people.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »

The best method of dealing with this, is modding your civilization to be able to butcher and eat sentients. This should make the animal people equally useful as convensional animals.

If you don't want to mod, however, you're stuck trying to exterminate them. Good luck.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »

Yeah. There are plenty of people who share your sentiment, that the animal people contribute little to the game aside from making more interesting/valuable savage animals harder to come by.

One thing you can do is delete any such animal entry from the raws, thus permanently excising them from the lands. MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR RAWS IF YOU DO THIS, AS IT IS SUPER EASY TO FUCK UP.

Alternatively, you can go through the files and add the following lines to the very end of each offending creature:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[BOILING_POINT:0]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:PINK]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL:poof!]

Note that you must have temperature enabled for this to work, but if you do, any time you get an animalman loaded onsite, it will boil into a harmless cloud of pink "poof!" material, and will be dead. Something else will likely arrive in short time. Over time, you'll either get non-animalmen, or they'll eventually all die and you'll get non-animalmen.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »

Just add [DOES_NOT_EXIST][FANCIFUL] to the entries defining animalmen in c_variation_default.txt. It will banish them into the realm of decorative engravings with a single line of code. Requires a world regen, though.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:59:03 pm »

would adding    [CV_NEW_TAG:FREQUENCY:5] to c_variation_default help?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 04:18:39 pm »

It would probably be more successful if you added [CV_REMOVE_TAG:FREQUENCY] beforehand, to ensure there is no conflict with whatever frequencies they would have by default. Tirion's idea of using [CV_NEW_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST] and [CV_NEW_TAG:FANCIFUL] is probably the quickest and simplest way to be rid of them altogether. I believe it may still be possible to go into specific creature definitions for those animal-men you want to keep and add:
   [GO_TO_END]
   [CV_REMOVE_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST]

That may or may not cause them to continue to exist...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:51:33 pm »

Ooh, I'll try
  [CV_REMOVE_TAG:FREQUENCY]
  [CV_NEW_TAG:FREQUENCY:5]

I like the idea of animalmen, so I don't want to get rid of them all-together.  I find savage biomes very un-savage with 20 different kinds of animalmen showing up, and maybe one or two kinds of giant creature (if you are lucky enough to get that).
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:40 pm »

Yeah, I actually added GOOD to animalmen for my games. I prefer they show up largely in good-savage biomes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.