Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF2012 Freezes on unpause  (Read 1043 times)

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2012 Freezes on unpause
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:19:26 am »

So I had a game started yesterday, and I paused it overnight while I slept.  I got up thinking I'd get a couple hours in before it was time to get out and have a life, but when I hit "Space" to unpause the window just went white-tinted and the title bar said "Not Responding."

I waited for a while, thinking that maybe it would unfreeze on its own after a while, but after an hour nothing happened.  Now I can't even get the process to terminate (even through Task Manager).

Anyone else run into this?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 Freezes on unpause
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:03 am »

It's processing AI movements while your PC is 'waking' up, so I would suggest waiting until its done. Worst case, restart the computer.

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:27 am »

It's processing AI movements while your PC is 'waking' up, so I would suggest waiting until its done. Worst case, restart the computer.

I turned hibernation mode on my computer off a couple of days ago (I was doing a long transoceanic flight in Flight Simulator, and sometimes hibernation mode gives it problems) and I forgot to turn it back on, so it can't be that.

Anyway, why would it have any movements to process, seeing as I paused the game before I went to bed?  Nothing should have happened in the game world for it to process in the interim.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:39:03 am »

Have you started playing before pausing it? Either way, usually DF is a bit slow when you just start due to procsessing some things, but other than the vague idea I have of what the problem could be I have no idea what the problem could be.

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:49:31 am »

Yeah, I started it yesterday afternoon, paused it for a while after playing a bit, came back to it for about an hour (with no problems) before I went to bed and paused it overnight.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:41 am »

Yeah, I started it yesterday afternoon, paused it for a while after playing a bit, came back to it for about an hour (with no problems) before I went to bed and paused it overnight.

Well like I said before it could be processing some things. Other than that I have no idea, you might want to ask some Dwarf Fortress expert.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:54 am »

I guess this is not na issue with dwarf fortress nor the Windows hibernation, maybe it's your desktop?
In a time before time, I had a name.