Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Dilemma  (Read 969 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting Dilemma
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:01 am »

SO my current fortress Helmsbeard just had its first major attack. A Wereporcupine charged out of nowhere, slaughtered one of my reindeer and latched himself on the hunter that put 3 bolts in his chest. Immediately after my military arrived he transformed back into his human form and ran off. My hunter went to the infirmary for a bit and was back on his feet in no time, silly me, I forgot to check the combat logs at the time to see that he was bitten during the fight, and not long after he yurned into one of those prickly beasts and bit two of my soldiers. Both men are in the infirmary right now but I know they will transform sooner or later, any suggestions? ???

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:09:49 am »

SO my current fortress Helmsbeard just had its first major attack. A Wereporcupine charged out of nowhere, slaughtered one of my reindeer and latched himself on the hunter that put 3 bolts in his chest. Immediately after my military arrived he transformed back into his human form and ran off. My hunter went to the infirmary for a bit and was back on his feet in no time, silly me, I forgot to check the combat logs at the time to see that he was bitten during the fight, and not long after he yurned into one of those prickly beasts and bit two of my soldiers. Both men are in the infirmary right now but I know they will transform sooner or later, any suggestions? ???
Sooner or later someone would suggest Magma.
I think teh best way to contain this is to put them in a drowning chamber, fast.

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:11:26 am »

Heh,Well magma isnt in the cards right now. Can werebeasts be caught in cages? I could just line the hospital with cage traps and throw them in the very deep chasm below my fort.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:34 am »

Heh,Well magma isnt in the cards right now. Can werebeasts be caught in cages? I could just line the hospital with cage traps and throw them in the very deep chasm below my fort.
I think they should be able to trigger traps, as Dwarves have a tendency to be caught in cage traps themselves.
(I could be wrong tough.)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27:41 am »

Well I just atom smashed the poor sods, I guess ill engrave some slabs in their honor. Too bad theres no cure for were-isnt yet. :-\

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:35:54 am »

Well I just atom smashed the poor sods, I guess ill engrave some slabs in their honor. Too bad theres no cure for were-isnt yet. :-\
I could be wrong but.. Atom smashed being probably will not appear in the slab menu?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:40:06 am »

If they were decent soldiers or otherwise useful, you might have been better off just sequestering them somewhere and observing them to see if they changed.  I've had a couple of cases where someone was bitten by a werebeast but didn't turn.  In one case she was bitten enough that her back legs were both permanently damaged.  How it failed to spread to her I have no idea.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:54:24 am »

Burrow them in a room near your entrance, forbid the door, drop food in from above occasionally and unleash them on the next siege you have. Either that or have them establish an outpost in your caverns.
It won't be effective, but it'll be a worthy and noble (read: entertaining) death. I condemn all of my assorted undesirables to the penal legion.

In my experience, were creatures don't trigger traps.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:18:27 am »

If they were decent soldiers or otherwise useful, you might have been better off just sequestering them somewhere and observing them to see if they changed.  I've had a couple of cases where someone was bitten by a werebeast but didn't turn.  In one case she was bitten enough that her back legs were both permanently damaged.  How it failed to spread to her I have no idea.

Back Legs?  Was this in a Pony Fortress?  I will very much laugh if it's Were-Humanism.

The Pony Werehuman Colors McFreindlyyum has arrived.  An emaciated Pony, twisted into human form.  Her eyes glow red with bloodlust, and glitter.  Her roan hair is patchy, and kinda cute.  Now you will know why you fear the night, and use a night light!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:26:27 am »

Ah, yes, it admittedly was using the pony mod.  Though in this case it was a griffon, not a pony.  I usually remember to translate my anecdotes into regular DF terms, but occasionally forget.

In this case, it was a weresquirrel I believe.  A werehuman would have been most entertaining though, I agree.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:22 am »

Burrow them in a room near your entrance, forbid the door, drop food in from above occasionally and unleash them on the next siege you have. Either that or have them establish an outpost in your caverns.
It won't be effective, but it'll be a worthy and noble (read: entertaining) death. I condemn all of my assorted undesirables to the penal legion.
Depending on the type of the were creature, luck and timing, it may be a extremely effective defense system.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 08:52:13 am »

Depending on the type of the were creature, luck and timing, it may be a extremely effective defense system.
Having not done this myself, I have heard it isn't that effective even when they are transformed. I hear that having a military that can grow back limbs however is useful though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:50 am »

Having not done this myself, I have heard it isn't that effective even when they are transformed. I hear that having a military that can grow back limbs however is useful though.
Oh they are terrifyingly effective in combat as werecreatures, things like weremammoths become death incarnate. But it lasts for two out of 28 days, with not many applications.
Having a military that routinely survives mortal wounds though, that is something invaluable. They will never die from thirst or hunger, severed limbs, nerves and scars all heal as if they were never there.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:17 am »

Considering they will respond to orders while not transformed, they should be pretty easy to deal with provided you are careful.  You might just put them in a zoo and feed them dwarfs or prisoners, or you can have them be your cavern shock troops when forgotten beasts are around.

I'm not sure how effective traps would be, since they're part of your civ I would think they would ignore traps, but attacking a werebeast from your fortress doesn't cause a loyalty cascade, so perhaps they alternatively go from members to non-members when they transform, so that should make traps effective.

Also, don't forget cloning through severed limbs, I'm pretty sure that can happen.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:27 am »

I'm not sure how effective traps would be, since they're part of your civ I would think they would ignore traps, but attacking a werebeast from your fortress doesn't cause a loyalty cascade, so perhaps they alternatively go from members to non-members when they transform, so that should make traps effective.
They are treated as berserk Dwarves when transformed, they retain citizenship.

Also, don't forget cloning through severed limbs, I'm pretty sure that can happen.
Got removed sadly.