Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55693 times)

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 9 - Chasing Pirates
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:03 pm »

On the military side I fully agree that we aren't in any shape to take the surface and am apprehensive about the scooting mission. In my opinion we should stay in the hole for a few more Jelly cycles until we can produce a highly camouflaged surface scout
In this case, them merely discovering our scouts would divulge no new information to them, as they already know we are here. As long as we can make sure the scouts don't lead them back to our hive, the situation stays the same regardless of the outcome of the scouts mission.

Clarification: The scouts just need to follow basic Pancho Villa procedures; Track obfuscation periodically to foil tracking and following intentionally misleading escape routes when retreating. I suspect our appendages leave rather different tracks in the dirt then the Humans are used to, so such tricks will be especially effective until they get used to dealing with us.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:15:14 pm by Noxes »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:04 pm »

Scouts can fly.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:06 pm »

Scouts can fly.

OH YEAH! I forgot about that. That makes the whole tracking thing rather moot, though it does render them rather more visible while doing so. Perhaps flying is best used when in the boonies (no expected contact) as long as they stay low and stick to the ground when risks are higher.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 05, 2013, 11:42:02 pm »

Raiding can give us some very nice stuff with little risk... From tests subjects to techs to assimilate

What we can get:

SW Geological Facility - Captives, mining equipment,should be easy target especially if we attack from underground
NW Geological Facility - see above
E Botanical Testing Facility - yummy earth plants to combine with flowers
SE Outpost - Hm...
SSE Manufacturing Facility - Boosting industrial base
NNE Human Hive Ship (Mobile), - quite a good tank to capture,  boost and use for ourself
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:43:48 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »

Raiding can give us some very nice stuff with little risk... From tests subjects to techs to assimilate

What we can get:

SW Geological Facility - Captives, mining equipment,should be easy target especially if we attack from underground
NW Geological Facility - see above
E Botanical Testing Facility - yummy earth plants to combine with flowers
SE Outpost - Hm...
SSE Manufacturing Facility - Boosting industrial base
NNE Human Hive Ship (Mobile), - quite a good tank to capture,  boost and use for ourself

My favored targets are the BTF, MF, and OP for recon for now as they seem like the most potentially useful and attainable targets in the near-ish future. I was thinking along similar lines for the future; of having a burrowing L1 commander for our burrowing soldiers, and perhaps some burrowing stalkers with their own Stalker Captain to really enhance the FUN for the bipedals.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2013, 05:04:18 am »

Do we know for certain that the natives are aware that we survived the crash? It seems likely, given that we salvaged the wreck and then left it for them to find, but the more doubt that we can shed as to the extent of our operations the better.

Natives and mining facilities are of little value to us. We have abundant mining capacity and these chaotic species tend to react strongly to losing members of their populations. They are clearly a technological species, so adapting to their biological elements would be of little value. For these reasons capturing their population is impractical.

Samples of Flora to share with the flowers would have merit. But any overt actions against them would risk exposure. For this reason it would be vital to ensure that no evidence of our operations could escape from the site.

A manufacturing facility would be of little value unless it could be held, at least long enough to conduct a methodical disassembly of the site. Occupying hostile facilities would expose us too much at this time.

The hive ship seems to be isolated. Provided that it is not being observed, it would be valuable to know how it evades observation, although there is a risk that it is being observed and its opponents lack sufficient cause to act against it.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2013, 08:49:08 am »

We need a LOT more royal jelly ASAP if we want to maximize our biological potential. I suggest doing whatever it takes to achieve this while ensuring our food supply isn't disrupted.

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2013, 09:13:48 am »

We need a LOT more royal jelly ASAP if we want to maximize our biological potential. I suggest doing whatever it takes to achieve this while ensuring our food supply isn't disrupted.
More royal jelly requires more Queenflowers, which in turn requires more queens, which in turn requires more royal jelly

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:59 am »

That's why I've been pushing for the queen flower growing upgrade to the polinators!
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:24 am »

That's why I've been pushing for the queen flower growing upgrade to the polinators!
And that's not going to happen. It's gravely OP, and clashes with the surrounding backstory.

It's a mutual relationship, not only does the Queen make the Queenflower, the Queenflower makes the Queen. There's a special, unique psychic link, and the social structure of the hive is mirrored in the structure of the Flowers.

Edit: Anyway, for actual suggestions.

Stay away from the geological facilities. We don't know what the humans are doing there, but it's very likely they'll have seismographs installed. Probably in a large area around the base(makes them much more efficient). Probably even with an automated uplink to a central database. An underground attack here would work, but after that we'll loose that advantage.

The botanical Testing facility is likely to contain Earth samples, and probably equipment related to cloning and Dna scanning/manipulation. Makes a decent target, and there's little reason for automated network linkups here. Secondly, as the facility is most likely domed and pressurized, it won't be too hard to make it seem like an accidental catastrophic failure. We just need to remember to actually blow it up after setting the charges.

The others make worse targets. The manufacturing settlement and outpost have many vehicles available, and the hiveship could be too heavily armored. Besides, there's not much to gain there.

For technology, we need to focus on things we can't solve with biological upgrades (rockets), or on things to complement our biological abilities (Kai machine interface, Cloning installation, Mutation inducing systems)

Quote from: Last of UR's versions, edited
Scouts
Work in team of three, (more chances to fight back if located)...  concentrate on scouting botanic facility. If located, first try to kill all enemies (and have a snack) , if failed flee and go hiding somewhere far from the hive, to be rescued by tunneling to them should we decide to...
Capturing biped alive could be nice, too...

Eggs
Lay: 5 M-caste soldiers (attacks from below, hehe, decided to save 5 M-soldiers for possible upgrades), 1 M-predator (tanks are nice things to have)
Will: 4 M-predators to M-nurses and\or M-commanders, will B-nurse to B-commander

Flowers
As soon as we get ability to:
a) start planting underground flowers in abandoned mines\other tunnels to be tended by patrolling pollinators [Nah, centralization is fun]
b) Plant more evergreen flowers in the optimal chamber
c) Don't forget about tending for queen's flower

Royal jelly
Upgrade a pollinator to commander pollinator , making it able to both command and coordinate other pollinators (use experience from vivisecting LVL1 commander) and, ideally, able to do plantrelated research.
[I dunno about this one. No support yet]

Weapon designs
Design pollen fuel propelled rocket launchers. [Nah. I propose pollen fuel mines/ underground explosives]

Industry
Build second food synthesizer  in the deep part of hive
Move stasis chamber to the deep part of hive (no need to have two of them)
Upgrade deep underground farm to plant researching biolabaratory

Research
Try to find source for mutation producing substances. Does our fusion reactor produce radiation(It should). If yes, see if you can give a few larvae some doses.
Attempt the creation of a chemical laboratory. The Identification and recreation of KAI proteins and hormones will be useful.(Kai growth hormone, ....)
Attempt the creation of a DNA scanner, or even a cloning installation
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:08:06 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:27 am »

The hive ship seems to be isolated. Provided that it is not being observed, it would be valuable to know how it evades observation, although there is a risk that it is being observed and its opponents lack sufficient cause to act against it.

That is an excellent point, more information on the Hive ship would indeed be useful by that merit. No physical recon yet, as if these are outcast humans they are likely to be more aggressive. However, as we now have SIGINT capabilities (minor though they are) see if we have anything in the database regarding translation of alien languages; though we have no interest in diplomacy at this time knowing how the Hive ship exists openly could be extremely helpful. As such we should attempt to determine if they exist by some inter-hive arrangement with the other humans or if it is by some technological contrivance (which We might be able to duplicate the effect of through either biological or technological means down the road). Of course, We may know nothing of such things, in which case I promote the Human Hive ship above the Outpost for Recon targets.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2013, 12:03:24 pm »

And that's not going to happen. It's gravely OP, and clashes with the surrounding backstory.

It's a mutual relationship, not only does the Queen make the Queenflower, the Queenflower makes the Queen. There's a special, unique psychic link, and the social structure of the hive is mirrored in the structure of the Flowers.

Correct. And this mutual relationship is encouraged by some sort of link. Though attempting to enhance this link in the pollinator may not result in the ability to produce more Royal Jelly, it will still likely allow the Pollinator to better understand the Flowers in ways we cannot currently and as such is still a worthy 3rd priority behind things that are more urgently required (so if anything only works half-assedly it will likely be this, and it won't be a major loss). If the improvements from this attempt show promise we might promote the priority of this link in the next upgrade cycle for the pollinator, but this is just a trial for now.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »

I'll point out that the Spiny Flowers have a lot of nectar, which is vital for royal jelly.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »

I'll point out that the Spiny Flowers have a lot of nectar, which is vital for royal jelly.

I've been thinking about that but loath to do !science! towards a vital resource, but hybridizing the Queens flower with the Invasive, Spiny plant may be a worthy pursuit. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:25 pm »

I've been thinking about that but loath to do !science! towards a vital resource, but hybridizing the Queens flower with the Invasive, Spiny plant may be a worthy pursuit.
We can just hybridize the flower with the spiny plant. Much easier and failsafe.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50