Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55656 times)

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 3 - Ride the Lightning
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »

Hmm, OK. Lets have some of the hybrid drones attempt to eat some Martian Soil and see if that helps the undernourishment and mineral loss issues, failing that I say we opt for having the Nurse secrete a tailored solution.

Soooo, can we have a Pollinator do the flower grow dance around one of the hybrids now?
+1

I wonder what would happen if we took a pollinator Larva, and made it into a hybrid pollinator; making a SUPAH POLLINATOR
+1! Best idea for how to use this Hybrid concept yet! Though, I'm Very interested to see what happens when the Flowers bloom. For now, when we have adequate Royal Jelly I say we Hybridize one Larva before metamorphose into a Pollinator and another after and see if the results are any different, for !Science!.

B-caste is not at risk of overgrowth; other castes may be
Right then, make sure the Nurse conducts regular inspections of all non B-caste Kai. Also, lets specialize two of the larva into more Nurses to aid in the first's duties.

Also, a project for the Navi drones: Assemble a small, sealed, Hydroponics Pod which will be rigged up to have a very large percentage of Free Hydrogen in the air and see if we can encourage a Flower (for now) to make more use of the its Fusion abilities. If the project is a success we may have another experiment to conduct on one of the Hybrids...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:37:19 pm by Noxes »

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 3 - Ride the Lightning
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2013, 06:46:03 pm »

As it stands, the proposed course of Night actions are as follows:

Queen
- Separate bacteria
- Perform SCIENCE on Xenoflora Samples
- Convert 30 Eggs to M-Caste
- Lay Eggs
- Soil Analysis

Nurse
- Create antifungal agents
- Create nutrient slurries
- Enforce Quarantine / Inspect Hybrids

Tech
- Continue Industrial Base
- Soil Analysis
- Environmental Protection

Pollinators
- Organize
- Flower Dance

If this is correct, a post will be up sometime tonight.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 4 - Hybrid Theory
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »

The very first course of action involves quickly digging an isolation chamber for the Hybrids and stuffing them in there, as well as Your body releasing anti-fungal agents to prevent any possible infections. You order the Nurse to inspect the Hybrids carefully and begin to generate the appropriate fluids to contain any possible infection, as well as feeding the Hybrids.

While the Nurse is performing its investigations, You are busy separating a culture of methane-producing bacteria from the Vat. After securing the colony from unwanted oxygen intrusion, You and a small group of Tech Drones begin to analyze the Martian soils. In addition to the iron and silicon contents, you discover the soil is very alkaline, and has a lot of potassium. Amending the soil to proper conditions for the Flowers is clearly going to take some time and effort, although the existing Fertilizer stores will help.

With this being done, You set about studying the Xenoflora Samples. The first is a frost-tolerant, alkali-loving double-flowered evergreen from a nearby solar system to Your former home system. It is moderately toxic, with the leaf containing alkaloids that stimulate the nervous system in small amounts. It shows great potential for adaptation with the Flowers. The second plant, from another continent of the same planet, is a highly invasive, sun-loving thorny annual that tends to monopolize soil resources. Despite these, it produces an astounding amount of nectar. Unfortunately, the potential for adaptation with the Queen's Flower is low.

A selected Pollinator is ordered to dance around the Hybrids, inducing the growth of the Flowers. One of the Hybrids has small, immature Flowers, but the second Hybrid shows signs of activity within the day. After momentarily possessing the Hybrid to determine its needs, You feel a deep craving for light, and order a B-Drone to install one of the high-quality lights for the Hybrids.

While this was going on, the Tech Drones continue to install and test the Industrial Lab, completing the Atomic Separator. This is tested on an Iron Sphere, and produces a moderate amount of Pure Iron Filings as a result. The last act of the day is to install a pair of condensers by the Entrance and by the Flowers, helping to reduce the overall total humidity. This data, as well as several sensors, are added to the Climate Control System.

The sun rises. The Kai are fed to maintain their current hunger levels, except for the Hybrids, who consume until they are Full.

Now what?

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Extremely Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:03 pm »

Focus on food production, and get a climate-controlled environment for our technology storage.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2013, 10:40:12 pm »

Lets get that evergreen plant assimilated with some some soil and flowers!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:20 pm »

Ah, right, I should elaborate on our current food production. Each day/night brings 8 Units of Synthetic Food. This is expected to last for at least two weeks at current quality/quantity, while reducing it to low-quality will stretch the supplies out to roughly a month.

With 10 working Flowers, we can expect 20 Flowers every 4 days, assuming no fertilization takes place.  As such, a four-day food cycle produces 52 Units of Food; Our current daily requirements for food are roughly 9.1 Units of Food per day. Assuming that any future Kai go into Stasis (not very likely), we produce roughly 5.7 days worth of food every 4 days.

Obviously, more Kai automatically means less food.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:52 pm »

Lay a couple of soldiers and try to make them electricity tolerant. Being able to survive greater electrical circuits should help with electric organs later...

Lay a couple dozen more digging drones and have them charge around the place building a massive network of long tunnels and small chambers. It should make expansion faster in the future and maybe find some nice minerals. I would like it if the bulk of our works were at least 36 metres underground.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2013, 11:29:07 pm »

Out of curiosity, why 36 meters?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2013, 12:06:13 am »

No to frying our soldiers, at least until we get some royal jelly for that.... BTW:

1) Queen to study the electroresistant larvae, analyze it's genetic changes, consume it and try to apply the very same genetic changes to all unlaid eggs and\or itself

2)I still advocate to setup surface imitating farm , colder, with day\night light and temperature cycles\ soil closer to Martian one and separate atmosphere to imitate one from the surface.  5 Flowers should be enough as that's not for food production. I repeat that conditions should be way, way milder than the ones on surface. May try to hybridize that flowers with the frost resistant xenoflora

3) Digging tunnel to the ship is something I'd like, we still can salvage useful stuff from it

4) Do not, I repeat do not lay any eggs, let them develop to full extent
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:18:44 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2013, 12:22:32 am »

Because 100 is a nice round number...
Read the First Post!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2013, 05:49:15 am »

I'd say because it can be conveniently divided? 36=2x2x3x3. can be divided by 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12 and 18. And 36.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16:50 am »

Another note, our base branches out from a pit at least 180 meters deep. So, it's pretty far down already.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:30:25 am by 10ebbor10 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »

Oh, okay, that seems reasonable.
Read the First Post!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2013, 07:27:03 pm »

I'd say because it can be conveniently divided? 36=2x2x3x3. can be divided by 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12 and 18. And 36.
and 1. Obviously.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:19 pm »

Yes, I am trying to have the aliens use base six mathematics...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 50